RWS Tarot 101 Six of Pentacles

PAMUYA

Six of Pentacles

When I first looked at the Six of Pentacles, I didn’t see generosity I saw a balance of power taking place. This man stands above the two beggars, not placing the coins in their hand, but dropping them. The scale caught my eye right away. This is a card of balance. Those who give and those who receive. This is a mutual relationship; this could be financial, emotional or spiritual.

A financial one could be one of generosity or charity. The giver gives a gift that one can afford and that the receiver “will accept”. Many people will not accept charity or will only take what they absolutely need. There is the opposite to this, give too much and then it will be expected, they no longer appreciate the gift or act of charity. You give people what they need, not what they want.

This balance can be seen in the work environment, you stay in a job that pays okay, but is unwilling to give up what security you do have in this unsatisfying job, keeping the relationship of power in check by choice, not by the mandates of the employer. This balance of power stays in place as long as both sides agree to their status in the relationship.

On an emotional level, staying in a relationship which one partner is dominating another either physically or emotionally. The dominated partner is comfortable and finds security in the relationship; a balance of power is struck. This may or may not be a healthy relationship, but both parties stay in the relationship through emotional ties which are a part of this balance of power. Like in the Devil card, this power is given willfully to the other person; it is not taken from them. It is knowing how much a person can give and take. An Example: “When I am visiting with my sister it is “All About Her”, she won’t even ask how I am doing. We get along because I know who she is and how much she can give emotionally. I don’t expect anymore than she is able to give, therefore I am never disappointed in her. We have a balance. It’s not even but it is a relationship” Another example is staying in a loveless marriage; both partners are comfortable a balance is struck.

I am still trying to grasp the concept of balance of power in spirituality, and to put it into words. As I have with my psychic abilities, I feel it, I envision it, but putting it into words is the problem. Spirituality, we take in all that we can handle at a given time. For eons the churches of the world have followed ancient doctrines. The doctrines had to change slowly overtime, not because science discoveries where slow in coming, but beliefs need to be changed slowly. A large Oak tree can bend slightly in the wind; it will give a bit and fall back into place, but when hit to hard by a sudden hurricane and the Oak will snap. Beliefs, religions, and societies are no different than that oak tree. They need a slow transition or they will snap if changes are too sudden. The balance needs to be kept, change will come, but in its own time.

Giving and taking is a balancing act, there fore the scale. Life will give us what we need to continue to move forward in life.

This was a difficult yet very interesting card. Hope this post made sense ..I feel like I just touched the surface of this card. More meditation is in order…

Direct: Giving, charity, balance of power, sharing, control

Reversed: Short of money, condensending, bribes, power out of balance.

Your thoughts?

Other Treads of the Six of Pentacles
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=44961
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=53034