6 of Pentacles as feelings

nisaba

PAMUYA said:
Yes I agree. One is the giver and one the reciever, not equal. The relationship can work if both parties agree to the arrangement.
But then the "victim" heals or grows, and the wants the "carer" to give up their position of strength and become an equal, and the whole relationship collapses. I've seen it time and time again. Best they can manage then, is to live in the same house as strangers.

WalesWoman

Seems like the more negative qualities of 6 Pentacles would be if it was RX or had swords and wands around it... since those aren't friends with earth and weaken or neutralize it. Otherwise it is creating some kind of balance, a symbiotic relationship that is mutually beneficial in some way. I scratch your back, you scratch mine... and yes that can be seen as co-dependant. It can also be "settling" for something, not great, but good enough and better than nothing. It really, really depends on the cards surrounding it... and the people themselves...and their level of maturity, experience and history... and expectations.

ana luisa

Thank you SO much for your interpretations!! They've been wonderful and very helpful. I was asked not to mention the other cards in the spread because that would fall into the "your readings" category but, just so that you know, the other cards were mostly cups and pentacles. HOWEVER, I do believe WalesWoman nailed it. This is in fact a simbiotic relationship. What I have a hard time seeing though is the difference between a relationship where each one "sucks up" as much as they need and another where they "give away" as much as they can. It may be that the end result is having both parties satisfied (having their fill but... for some reason, that doesn't sound like it). I do not want to go into details but in this particular case both parties are EXTREMELY dependent on each other but for completely diferent reasons. Funny, I always thought the 6 of pentacles stood for harmony and charity and the goody goody meanings...

BodhiSeed

ana luisa said:
Funny, I always thought the 6 of pentacles stood for harmony and charity and the goody goody meanings...
I have a stepson who is an addict and a DIL who is a textbook definition of a codependent. Their marriage is one of harmony, but not one that's healthy!

ana luisa

I see what you mean, bodhran. Something else that always bothered me about this card is that it usually shows 3 people. Not two and most of the readings talk about the exchange between two. I know, it's just a scene REPRESENTING something. But shouldn't the giver and the two beggars be given the same attention/importance? Maybe the beggars are the same person who sometimes receives something and sometimes doesn't, depending on the giver's mood/will... Hmm. Will give this more thought...

BodhiSeed

One of the meanings I often apply to this card is using balanced judgment. If I give to this person, will they become dependent on me, or will it help them? From the beggar's point of view, if I take something offered, will it have strings attached?

WaterSong

the way I see the 6 of pentacles, is as a card of generosity and giving. Then the cards around it can give more context, but in general, this is a 6 card, which relates to the Lovers and to a number that brings the energy of balance and harmony . The pentacle is a suit of Earth, concrete things, things we can see and manifest...so for me it is a card that often speaks of concretely giving something to others, even it is only a phone call or a note to let them know are thinking of them. It is selfless, and totally loving. This type of person enjoys the giving, I had this card come up for a healer...she just loved the feeling of helping.

Some people truly love giving, and that does not mean they are co-dependent...maybe they are more in touch with their souls, that can love unconditionally and with compassion....when the soul speaks it asks " what can I give you ?" as opposed to the ego that asks " what can you give me? "

In the 6 of pentacles what I see is an harmonious give and take, and the giver is happy to do so.

starrystarrynight

ana luisa said:
...Something else that always bothered me about this card is that it usually shows 3 people. Not two and most of the readings talk about the exchange between two. I know, it's just a scene REPRESENTING something. But shouldn't the giver and the two beggars be given the same attention/importance? Maybe the beggars are the same person who sometimes receives something and sometimes doesn't, depending on the giver's mood/will... Hmm. Will give this more thought...
That's why I generally see the imbalance of the give-and-take with this card that, to me, goes well beyond mere generosity of spirit or wealth. The "giver," who is usually dressed in fine clothes (representing that he has "more" to give--and, subsequently, more to be able to hold back, if he wants to) stands up above the beggars looking down at them. So, there is not only the difference in class or financial standing being depicted, but also a difference in height, and he holds a scale that is not equalling balanced, either.

Now, I can see a symbiosis in the energy or a co-dependency...but it would still make me feel that there is no "even-ness" to it. One is necessarily "up" while the other is "down," and though the balance between them may swing in the opposite direction, putting the second guy up while the other falls down, they are never quite equal...

But, again, that's just how I see this card--so that's what I feel its significance is to me when I come across it in a reading.

PAMUYA

I tend to agree more with starrystarrynight.

When I first looked at the Six of Pentacles, I didn’t see generosity I saw a balance of power taking place. This man stands above the two beggars, not placing the coins in their hand, but dropping them. The scale caught my eye right away. This is a card of balance. Those who give and those who receive. This is a mutual relationship; this could be financial, emotional or spiritual.

A financial one could be one of generosity or charity. The giver gives a gift that one can afford and that the receiver “will accept”. Many people will not accept charity or will only take what they absolutely need. There is the opposite to this, give too much and then it will be expected, they no longer appreciate the gift or act of charity. You give people what they need, not what they want.

This balance can be seen in the work environment, you stay in a job that pays okay, but is unwilling to give up what security you do have in this unsatisfying job, keeping the relationship of power in check by choice, not by the mandates of the employer. This balance of power stays in place as long as both sides agree to their status in the relationship.

On an emotional level, staying in a relationship which one partner is dominating another either physically or emotionally. The dominated partner is comfortable and finds security in the relationship; a balance of power is struck. This may or may not be a healthy relationship, but both parties stay in the relationship through emotional ties which are a part of this balance of power. Like in the Devil card, this power is given willfully to the other person; it is not taken from them. It is knowing how much a person can give and take.

Om_Vanya

I just recently had this card come up for feelings and my first impression was that one person would like to share their feelings and/or have those feelings given back, reciprocated. I think its interpretation leans heavily on surrounding cards...but in the case there are none, well....it is the card of give and take, feeling generous. Hope this helps.