The Lover's Path: Three of Cups

Sophie-David

The Lover's Path Three of Cups contains the traditional RWS three maidens celebrating. I find that it is important for me to remember that the redhead in this card is not Isolde who appears in most of the other Cups. When I first look at the card I tend to think, "Why would Isolde be celebrating a marriage that she didn't want to make?", but this redhead is simply a wedding guest.

The visual imagery is one of balance and symmetry, three women celebrating in a union of friendship. As Kris points out in the book, the three dancers are distinguished by the separate hair colours - but they are harmonized by the blue wrap that seems to intertwine them; the trim at near the bottom of each one's dress; the balance of pink dresses on either side with white in the middle; the flower garlands around their heads, the three planted flowers peeping out behind them and the three cups they hold up in a joyful toast.

In the background of the unconscious, the moon rises, symbol of the feminine powers of intuition, grace, cyclic mystery and emotional fulfillment.