The Fool and his Spoon

firecatpickles

The size of the spoon is standard. The Fool's size is in allegory to his immaturity --as if he were the size of a child, both emotionally and spiritually. These are, afterall, allegorical images, are they not? Why are we taking the meanings of the images in them literally?

KK
:TCHAR

Northwind

kilts_knave said:
The size of the spoon is standard. The Fool's size is in allegory to his immaturity --as if he were the size of a child, both emotionally and spiritually. These are, afterall, allegorical images, are they not? Why are we taking the meanings of the images in them literally?

KK
Some don't see Le Mat as immature.

The toilet spoons in reality are actually very small, but this one still could be allegorical - you are right there. It simply makes it more interesting to speculate about the meaning of the spoon. :).

orczy

If one things of the Fool as having no fixed abode, maybe the spoon could be used for eating from community bowls. I believ that at the time of the drawing, vilaages used to feed homeless from a community "couldron", the food being made from leftovers.

That is my speculation, and may also explain why we don't see a bowl or plate, and explain the size of the spoon.

Fulgour

Literal Interpretations

kilts_knave said:
Why are we taking the meanings of the images in them literally?
Here is an something that really is worth doing at least once:
Get two sticks the size The (TdM) Fool has and pose just so!

Stand with hands, feet, arms, legs, and head exactly as him.

I'm not going to recommend you try walking ~ it is impossible
to stand still in that position ~ do be careful not to fall down!

This difficulty is one of the reasons I think Le Fol is walking
backwards~ and I'm convinced his tunic is turned around...
and the little dog is very helpfully urging him to get righted.

jmd

The 'little dog' is doing what!??!

attachment.php

Elven

Just my thoughts :D
I see the spoon relevant to (1) le Bateleur - after all he is the one with the plate the cup the knife and the fondue stick (excuse my jester-ing ways here) - but I also see it in this manner (2) - A little sip or a little taste - a 'small measure' - something of a tool of to utilize for 'taste testing life & experiences' and making choices with - that which seperates one from the full experience.

Just some thoughts.
Blessings
Elven x

Fulgour

multiple choice

jmd said:
The 'little dog' is doing what!??!
JMD you are so naughty! If this were a course,
would you grade us with quizzies or testees? :)

firecatpickles

Questes and Tizzes!

KK

kwaw

German Word Play - Eine Laffe?

Eine Laffe -A Laffe: the dish-shaped, front part of a spoon; also, ein laffe = a stupid person (ein eingebildeter, dummer Mensch).

Kwaw

Rosanne

:cool: In nautical terms the word Spoon means to run before the wind or if you are rowing a boat you touch the the oars lightly in the water so that you skim across the surface fast and gently. Ein Laffe? Everyone can be spoony sometimes (more the pity) ~Rosanne