The Game of Saturn/The Sola-Busca Tarot

blackhorse

Has anyone else heard about the new book being put out by Scarlet Imprint on the Sola-Busca Tarot? It looks very interesting.

http://scarletimprint.com/2016/09/forthcoming-the-game-of-saturn/

"The Game of Saturn is the first full length, scholarly study of the enigmatic Renaissance masterwork known as the Sola-Busca tarot. An ethno-historical study, it reveals the existence of a pagan liturgical and ritual tradition active amongst members of the Renaissance elite and encoded within the deck. Beneath its beautifully decorated surface, its imagery ranges from the obscure to the grotesque; we encounter scenes of homoeroticism, wounding, immolation and decapitation redolent of hidden meanings, violent transformations and obscure rites."

The cards can be viewed individually here. http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Sola-Busca_gallery

An interesting comparison of images from the Sola-Busca and the Smith-Waite can be found here. https://solabuscatarot1998mayer.wordpress.com/sola-busca-waite-smith-tarot/

Has anyone here worked with the Sola-Busca? Most of the resources online for it are rather old and the websites are down. Im very interested in possible meanings for the major arcana, which I assume are related to the history/mythology of each of the characters represented. In any case its a beautiful deck.

Michellehihi

I bought the deck and returned it as I did not connect with it at all!
I had bought the companion book, which I was not able to return because it was from a different seller who did not accept returns; so it is available if someone wants it!

FLizarraga

I seem to remember that there is a previous book on the Sola Busca by an Italian author, a woman, IIRC. Very hard to get, and can't say if it is any good, since I don't have it.

ETA: Found it! It's Sola Busca Tarot, by a Sofia Di Vincenzo. And it's listed on Amazon US for the bargain price of... $228 plus shipping! :bugeyed:

Michellehihi

I seem to remember that there is a previous book on the Sola Busca by an Italian author, a woman, IIRC. Very hard to get, and can't say if it is any good, since I don't have it.

ETA: Found it! It's Sola Busca Tarot, by a Sofia Di Vincenzo. And it's listed on Amazon US for the bargain price of... $228 plus shipping! :bugeyed:

Hohoho! I have this book! Lucky me! But I don't need it, soooo...

FLizarraga

I had the Lo Scarabeo edition, and found it very hard to work with, in the sense that the images blur together (all those reds, maybe). I also had Seven Stars' modernized, RWS-ed version Sola Busca 2.0, and had the same problem.

It was a counterintuitive experience, as I love the art and the images seen online pop and get your full attention (there are threads here about how they seem to be 3-D), but in a reading in person they seem to become flat and samey.

FLizarraga

Hohoho! I have this book! Lucky me! But I don't need it, soooo...

Well, you can try to sell it online for hundreds of bucks... or you can trade it to me... :angel:

Patrick Booker

This book looks fascinating for anyone using the Sola Busca. Links to the 'Alchemical Alxander'. I have never used this deck for divination, but I have used it for meditation.

Patrick

Michellehihi

Go look in the trading sub-forum, I have one for sale.