The Game of Saturn/The Sola-Busca Tarot

petermarkadams

The Game of Saturn Author

Hi Patrick,

What an excellent question and one that I have frequently pondered.

Given the family basis of political power during the Renaissance, and given the prevalence of daemonic magic in that milieu, (it was, after all, priests, monks and other clerics who practiced the grimoire magic ‘for hire’, so to speak, under the protective umbrella of the elite families) then the system of the SB is just one more operative system amongst the many that characterised that pre-modern era, it just performs on a much higher voltage and demands much higher intellectual and theurgic skills than most other systems.

In this sense it is streets ahead of the grimoire based traditions. It is a throwback to an earlier era of Alexandrian and Near-Eastern Neoplatonic theurgy and magic, and therefore both purer and more primal.

So, as a protective system for self or family and/or to counter offensive sorcery directed against self or family, I can imagine no system to equal it.

That said, is its actual use ever justified?

As with all magic, we come, finally, to the fundamental issue of ethics. Most of us would say that defence of friends and family is justified - possibly, almost always - and that any other use is not.

That said, and this is the nub, if you think you can invoke a force like this and then lightly dismiss it - whether in this or any future life - you have got another think coming. These energies are transgenerational and once invoked the old adage of the Sorcerer’s Apprentice applies, you can get the genii out of the bottle, but can you put him back in it once he is liberated?

I caution anyone from seeking to invoke these powers for any reason whatsoever.

Peter

Patrick Booker

Thanks for that, Peter. There is much to reflect on here.

Patrick

madhatter00o

I can only give a personal opinion, but I think it is well written. Some of Adams' conclusions are a bit disturbing as he sees it is a manual of rather dark talismanic magic. He does offer some sort of explanation as to why some of the images are so violent. I had previously read Sofia Di Vicenzo's book, which sees it more in general terms of alchemical symbolism. I hope you like it.

Patrick

Thank you, Patrick, for this and the other information, opinions, and questions you've written here.

I recently received my copy of The Game of Saturn. I'm currently going through Sofia Di Vincenzo's book and was wondering how they compared, so your quick review here is very canny. (Needless to say I knew Adams' book would be far more comprehensive and larger in its scope before purchasing it.)

Having received the volume, I can say that I'm utterly thrilled with the quality of the images and paper. I'm very excited to start reading it!

Abrac

Anyone reading this book have any thoughts to share on its contents? I don't have it so I'm curious what people think.

Patrick Booker

My own impressions of the book are on this thread - also comments by the author. My impressions were positive, both as an attractive book and as a work of historical research.

Patrick

Abrac

Patrick I've read this thread and I'm aware of your comments but there's not much meat there. I was wondering if there are any earth-shattering revelations in the book; if so, I thought people would be anxious to share them. :)

Patrick Booker

Patrick I've read this thread and I'm aware of your comments but there's not much meat there. I was wondering if there are any earth-shattering revelations in the book; if so, I thought people would be anxious to share them. :)

I have read the book twice and I think the theory that the deck is essentially a magical grimoire is the most significant issue, as Peter Adams elaborates upon above. But yes, it would be interesting to get the views of other readers. The 71 de luxe copies have all been sold, so there must be other readers.

Patrick