Budapest Tarot

josefskye

Budapest deck

This one reminds me of true folk-art, or naive art, it is not refined like the Madenie....

Patrick Booker

Arrived today, very quick. Not looked closely yet, but a nice, solid feel.

Patrick

Tarot Sheet Revival

Tarot Sheet Revival is on Aeclectic

Hi everyone, I just wanted to thank the people who ordered the deck(s), those who are interested in the Tarot Sheet Revival project. After 2 years of developement, is comes to the release of this first edition of both BVDAPEST and Rosenwald T22. And with the many feedbacks, I feel really in connection with people with who I share a passion. This is really important for a creator.
So this quick note is just to say I'm there and would be glad to answer any of your questions.
So maybe I could start with the first one I read here above :

- About the Rosenwald Revival, the projetc is still on track with the redrawing of the 2 lasting sheets. Many things to say about that but globaly, I will offer the possibility to add an extra pack (also handcut cards) only linked to the T22 limited edition. This will clearly be a fantasy collage because I think the 3 sheets compose 2 different decks. But the process should work properly.

- Source pages for the Budapest sheets are still available, I will soon post the direct links on my website with articles I'm still working on. If you can't wait, you will have to search here : http://www.printsanddrawings.hu/

THANK YOU MRPANTS!!!! for this great review and description of the decks, really far more clearer than what I could ever do!
- the strange CCL... is just "250" for the numbering of the first limited edition.
- the only two cards with the additional light blue were considered in the B order as the 2 higher Trumps. On the original documents, I think those spots where probably painted free hand and not stenciled like for the red and yellow.

-I plan to release handmade decks in a near future, backs glued (italian) or multiple sheets (back, front and middle) and then stencil color it. I'm still experimenting the gluing process to get the good result. My redrawings of the cards are independant from the rest of the design so it can be used alone on an art paper and both decks will be part of the trip. In the same time, I work a lot on engraving techniques...

I will end here for now, have a great day

Sullivan

Le Fanu

I just received mine this morning. This deck is extraordinary. Tarot experiences such as this - of opening something truly breathtaking, handcrafted, profoundly historical, rich and strange - are so rare for me these days. This deck really is something else. Just magical. Thank you so much for this, Sullivan. What a contribution to historical tarots!

gregory

How did I not see this sooner.... Ordered.

Le Fanu

How did I not see this sooner.... Ordered.
I too almost missed it. So hard to really keep up to date with absolutely everything. But I like to think that the really special ones, or the ones that will most captivate us, will find us eventually!

mrpants

THANK YOU MRPANTS!!!! for this great review and description of the decks, really far more clearer than what I could ever do!
- the strange CCL... is just "250" for the numbering of the first limited edition.
- the only two cards with the additional light blue were considered in the B order as the 2 higher Trumps. On the original documents, I think those spots where probably painted free hand and not stenciled like for the red and yellow.

-I plan to release handmade decks in a near future, backs glued (italian) or multiple sheets (back, front and middle) and then stencil color it. I'm still experimenting the gluing process to get the good result. My redrawings of the cards are independant from the rest of the design so it can be used alone on an art paper and both decks will be part of the trip. In the same time, I work a lot on engraving techniques...

Thank YOU Sullivan, for such a special treat! These only come along occasionally in the Tarot world, in my opinion. I'm glad you appreciated my brief review of the Budapest, and thanks for the additional details regarding the blue ink, and "CCL" mark! I look forward to your forthcoming editions, and to seeing you around the Forum.

Best,
Corey

mrpants

These 2 arrived in the mail today....

I just noticed how cool that second photo is.. All the figures have been reversed! I've always wondered which way the "original" figures faced in the early decks, and which end up being "mirror" images. For example, many (but not all) of the figures in the Noblet and Vandenborre decks appear reversed, by Conver standards, or in the case of your photo, Madenie standard.

Tarot Sheet Revival

Belgian style

I just noticed how cool that second photo is.. All the figures have been reversed! I've always wondered which way the "original" figures faced in the early decks, and which end up being "mirror" images. For example, many (but not all) of the figures in the Noblet and Vandenborre decks appear reversed, by Conver standards, or in the case of your photo, Madenie standard.

For any fans of the Vandenborre... I'll have an enourmous surprise!!! Plus considering my belgian location, I'd like to push and enlarge about this tradition a little bit more.

About the question of direction, I've read a lot about that. My ID is that it is regularly associated with the conclusion that the figure faces the past or the future. In term of reading from the reader point of view, it is totally logical but I don't think that in term of internal image creation, it is the right approach. As you underline it the approach of design tradition is very interesting. You were talking about the Conver, I invite you to compare it to the Chosson (1672!!!) which is its nearly exact replica and a proof of existing ancient techniques to duplicate molds perfectly.

garmonbozia

Oh wow.

I've been drooling over Place's deck for months and months....and I still hope that he someday turns it into a mass produced deck.....

So I am happily ordering these two decks right now!

Very exciting.