Help dating an old Nicolas Conver

agviz

I recently aquired an old Nicolas Conver and I'm hoping to get a rough idea of the printing date. It has a red patterend back (see attached image) and no tax stamp. If I'm seeing correctly, it appears there are 7 colors of ink (including black). Thanks for any responses.

Attachments

• ConverSample.jpg
    ConverSample.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 759

Philippe

Hello agviz

This type of back had been used during the first half XXth century and even a bit earlier.

It would be instructive to show us the 4 of coins.

It resembles the model used by Lo Scarabeo for their fluorescent Conver

Conver2016 by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

So I would say : last third of the XIXth century, early XXth

agviz

Thanks very much for those insights, Philippe.

Attached is an image of the 4 of coins.

Attachments

• Conver4Coins.jpg
    Conver4Coins.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 723

Yves Le Marseillais

Conver datation

Bonjour Agviz,

I have it also.

I would say around 1870.

To compare to previous version, I attached you my restitution who is based on end 18th and early 19th century exemplarys.

To be issued by end july coming.

Nice black line on your exemplary.

Cordialy,

Yves

Attachments

• nicolas_conver_networks.jpg
    nicolas_conver_networks.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 731

agviz

Bounjour Yves,

Having preordered your Conver restoration, I really look forward to seeing it in person. And I ordered the TdM Millennium Edition as well, so I'm sure I'll be in a very happy mood when they arrive!

Thanks for your insight. So do we think it's the patterned backs that place it around that time?

I read on the Camion site that the printing of the deck changed to roughly four colors in 1880 due to advances in printing. So perhaps this deck with it's seven colors was printed shortly before the changes in printing.

Yves Le Marseillais

Backs and colours

Bounjour Yves,

Having preordered your Conver restoration, I really look forward to seeing it in person. And I ordered the TdM Millennium Edition as well, so I'm sure I'll be in a very happy mood when they arrive!

Thanks for your insight. So do we think it's the patterned backs that place it around that time?

I read on the Camion site that the printing of the deck changed to roughly four colors in 1880 due to advances in printing. So perhaps this deck with it's seven colors was printed shortly before the changes in printing.

Hello again,

I have received one hundred preorder for both Milennium and Conver.... Welcome in the Club :))

Backs are always interesting and your Conver's back seems more 19th century rather than 18th century (see my Conver edition back less elaborate).
So 1870 seems ok for me.
Printing process changed (in worst for me) around 1880 with less colours.

Cordialy,

Yves