I'm like the Highlander

Charlie Brown

"There can be only one" If I were going to get an English language book on the TdM aimed primarily at reading more so than history, which one would it be and why?

Also, if I did want to study TdM reading techniques, how transferable are they to similar historical decks like the Soprafino or the 1JJ?

Thx
Charles Le Brun

baconwaffles

Even though I prefer Camelia and Enriquez's books on reading cards, if I had to pick one book to recommend for TDM learning I would go with Yoav Ben Dov's book, The Open Reading. Although I believe it has been republisehd under another title.

It can of course be used for the Italian and swiss decks as well, like the Soprafino and others.

I bought it quite some time ago and it is a very good, and approachable read. Succinct and to the point.

Charlie Brown

Thanks. I think the new title is Tarot of Marseille Revealed. That's good to hear that the question of Swiss and Italian decks is an "of course." I sometimes get the impression that TdM can be like "if there isn't a ladder hidden in the hem of her dress the deck is useless. USELESS!"

I've been getting a little interested in TdM because learning French is a hobby of mine and I thought it would be fun to look into French Tarot. It seems that most of the literature over there is on TdM and with a heavy emphasis on predicting specific events in the future.

starlightexp

Even though I prefer Camelia and Enriquez's books on reading cards, if I had to pick one book to recommend for TDM learning I would go with Yoav Ben Dov's book, The Open Reading. Although I believe it has been republisehd under another title.

It can of course be used for the Italian and swiss decks as well, like the Soprafino and others.

I bought it quite some time ago and it is a very good, and approachable read. Succinct and to the point.

Yea I agree. If you had to start that is a great title

baconwaffles

Thanks. I think the new title is Tarot of Marseille Revealed. That's good to hear that the question of Swiss and Italian decks is an "of course." I sometimes get the impression that TdM can be like "if there isn't a ladder hidden in the hem of her dress the deck is useless. USELESS!"

I've been getting a little interested in TdM because learning French is a hobby of mine and I thought it would be fun to look into French Tarot. It seems that most of the literature over there is on TdM and with a heavy emphasis on predicting specific events in the future.
Hahaha, I see what you meam about the details and debates on the TDM.

Personally, I love TDM, it is a different and creative reading experience. I don't live in Europe but I can see how the traditional fortunetelling aspect of tarot reading is still retained. I have heard that many use the major only.

The minors for me are important, plus Ben Dov's book covers it all wonderfully.

Charlie Brown

I have heard that many use the major only.

The minors for me are important, plus Ben Dov's book covers it all wonderfully.

That's my understanding as well. Lots of majors only, lots of drawing pairs instead of one card (and each pair has it's own meaning it isn't just a clarifier or two cards for one issue), minors, if used, used as clarifying cards for a major and, in France at least, a heavy emphasis on one particular spread called the Tirage en Croix.

I have Kris Hadar's French Language divination book on the way. If there's anything interesting I'll be sure to share it in whatever forum we all end up in.

baconwaffles

Oh yes, I forgot about that as well. The cards are read in tandem not alone. Along the lines of subject verb combination. It is very much like storytelling. Instead of reading one card and within it's location in a spread, you would read the cards in combination along with it's location in a spread, if a spread is used. The tirage en croix is a very nice spread, simple and with depth.

I have never read Hadar's book. Also, there is another very popular tarot book which can be easier to find in french or Spanish, Tchalai Unger's The Tarot.

Barleywine

I understand Caitlin Matthews is publishing a TdM book, but I have no idea how soon. You can also get Jean Michel David's TdM course material from Lulu as an e-book for around $14. So far, I like The Open Reading best, and have read it a couple of times.

Tag_jorrit

I have Yoav Ben Dov's book and highly recommend it. I also really like "Marseille Tarot: Towards The Art Of Reading" by Camelia Elias.