Gumppenberg circa 1812

Bernice

Those who have the Menghello, do you see the little scottie dog on the Chariot card? It's just the head, squinched between the horses at shoulder height.

Baffled Bee :)

suedally

Lovely to see such interesting cards - holding history in your hands. I wonder who used them 200 years ago!

Le Fanu

Bernice said:
The Devil looks a nice chap, but see his hands they point up and down. He's one to be wary of I think dispite his good looks.
Something sensual in that swaggering pose, don't you think? ;)

Bernice

suedally said:
Lovely to see such interesting cards - holding history in your hands. I wonder who used them 200 years ago!
Hello Suedally :)

I wonder that as well.
In my minds eye I can see two scenarios; one is a motley group of men in a murky tavern lit by candle light - they're gambling. The cards are played onto a beer-(ale?)-stained table amidst tankards of booze.

The second, is a brightly lit drawing room with the gentry 'in their cups', laughing and making quips. At at small highly polished table there sit some ladies in their silks, they're trying to determine who shall marry first, each holds a card close to her heart - they are giggling........

I'm really liking this deck.

Bee :)

Bernice

Le Fanu said:
Something sensual in that swaggering pose, don't you think? ;)
Very sure of himself - bearing his belly-button to all and sundry :grin:

Moonbow

Happy to see that you're enjoying this deck Bee. I'm not very familiar with it even though I've had it a while, and its one of those decks that I keep meaning to get around to doing some research on. I'm fascinated by the Valets and Cavaliers that have their backs to the reader and have often wondered why that is. Maybe the artist didn't like drawing faces (or preferred drawing men from the back) :). Cerulean started a thread about knights/Cavaliers where this cropped up.

Bernice

Moonbow* said:
Happy to see that you're enjoying this deck Bee. I'm not very familiar with it even though I've had it a while, and its one of those decks that I keep meaning to get around to doing some research on. I'm fascinated by the Valets and Cavaliers that have their backs to the reader and have often wondered why that is. Maybe the artist didn't like drawing faces (or preferred drawing men from the back) :). Cerulean started a thread about knights/Cavaliers where this cropped up.
Yes! I noticed that too, those courts with their backs to us. I wondered if it could mean that they were 'moving away - leaving' as opposed to 'coming - arriving'. Or.... as you say, maybe the artist liked mens backs...........

Do you see the little scottie dog head on the Chariot? .......weird...

Le Fanu

Moonbow* said:
I'm fascinated by the Valets and Cavaliers that have their backs to the reader and have often wondered why that is.
I'd thought about this. It's very odd. It must mean something, but I can't imagine what...

I love this deck. Another one I must use more. I'm in love with the colours of the Meneghello version. Funny, I don't imagine this being used in tavern, rather, in elegant drawing rooms, women in diaphanous Neoclassical off the shoulder dresses and high waistlines! A more international crowd who had picked up the fashions from France.

I don't have it at hand. I must check the Chariot card, but it is a beautiful deck. All the roughness of the gaming universe smoothed away for an elegant elite!

sapienza

Bernice said:
Do you see the little scottie dog head on the Chariot? .......weird...
Is that it between the two horses? How very odd. I've never noticed it before but then I really haven't spent much time with this deck at all.

Certainly an interesting devil. I think what you see is definitely not going to be what you get with this guy :)