Alchemical Study Group - 0 The Fool

mystere2e

Parallels

In the main thread about studying this deck, I asked why we initially chose to start out with studying Coins first, as opposed to starting out with studying the Majors. I was told it was because Place cites Coins as the least spiritual suit of the four Minors.

It is interesting, then, that this card bears similarities to the Ace of Coins -- the first card in a series of "least spiritual" cards. It is so interesting because the Fool is traditionally perceived to be a card of great spirituality and faith in the unknown.

Faith in the unknown... Did Alice actually have faith in the unknown? I'd argue that the "unknown" chose her for obscure reasons, and that she in turn chose to follow. I think it had little to do with faith...

brenmck

mystere2e said:
I'd argue that the "unknown" chose her for obscure reasons, and that she in turn chose to follow.

I can relate. Makes for a very interesting experience.

Kenny

I can see in the (short) while I've been away that some of you have noted some stuff that I too had seen--Alice in Wonderland, focusing upon the delusions--but I'm still going to post some notes I made on this card, just to see what you make of them. :)

Interconnected to a theory that I'll, maybe, post later I'm relating The Fool to the Black Phase of alchemical work. The Black Phase is the breaking down of extra additions (ego and the like) and the start of turning Lead into Gold.

The Fool has given up control--signified by the blindfold.

He is being in the process of dissolution--rabbit (hare) and hole in ground.

Blindfold is to stop projection--extension of thoughts or emotional energy into the world at large (or as mac22 said: Or is he blindfolded so that he can focus on his inner senses w/o distraction). This is where rejected inner qualities are projected into the external world where they are hidden from ourselves.

Eliminate contaminating materials to revel basic essence--though I may remove this entry and place it upon another card (I or II, more study is needed on these two cards first).

sapienza

mystere2e said:
In the main thread about studying this deck, I asked why we initially chose to start out with studying Coins first, as opposed to starting out with studying the Majors. I was told it was because Place cites Coins as the least spiritual suit of the four Minors.

Sorry, I probably need to clarify that. Place doesn't say anywhere in his book that the Coins are least spiritual. I read Leisa's post in the Two of Coins thread as follows:

Leisa said:
The order that Robert puts the suits is, Coins, Vessels, Swords, Staffs; from the most material to most spiritual. (not the typical occult way)

So when I responded to you in the main thread I should have worded the reply better. I was just trying to explain why the order was chosen. I'm just assuming that they originally started with coins because it's the first suit in the book. (brenmck, I think you started the original group didn't you? :))

sapienza

Interesting ideas Kenny. In the original book I think Place links the Black Phase (or nigredo) to the Death card but I'm not 100% sure. I'll need to do some more reading.

It's interesting that when talking about the fool Place states:

"The Fool represents the neophyte alchemist, who is the beginning of the Work, and ultimately becomes the end of it as well."

I guess this means he is throughout the whole work, he is all the phases perhaps?

Kenny

sapienza said:
It's interesting that when talking about the fool Place states:

"The Fool represents the neophyte alchemist, who is the beginning of the Work, and ultimately becomes the end of it as well."

I guess this means he is throughout the whole work, he is all the phases perhaps?
To further the above quote there is something that Rami said. (I've also cross posted this in The Magician as I was not sure where best it fit.)

You are the master alchemist,
Through your loving,
Existence and non-existence merge.
All opposites unite.
All that is profane
Becomes sacred again.

sapienza

Thanks for the link to that image Leisa, how fabulous :)

mystere2e

Thank you for the link Leisa... I thought I recognized that "guy" from somewhere! I've looked at many of those images (especially on the latter website) for hours upon hours.

It is amazing to read how many people here are well learned in alchemy. I have tried learning about it before but it's funny, the images seem to teach me so much more. Unfortunately, I have trouble verbalizing what I'm seeing.

Marchal

Profane meaning of The Fool in a reading?

I just did a one-card reading where The Fool came up.
The querent`s question was a seemingly profane one: What will be the right time to market and sell my house?

This is what I read:
"The Fool in this deck is shown blindfolded, a bit atactic with his arms spread wide and the staff in his left handed held without a clear purpose. He is stumbling around, blundering blindly.
Being blindfold he does not see the white hare and its burrow at his feet - the hare lives in the earth, and is an archetypal guide to the underworld of the unconscious. The Fool cannot recognize his divine guidance either - a star of the higher self above his head.

Usually in a card reading the Fool card has deep and archetypal meanings - the beginning e.g. of a spiritual journey. In connection with your down-to-earth question I would think the card points to a need to seek and use proper and professional guidance. Perhaps the card points out that selling a house should
not be taken on lightly, as a "fool´s quest", but with the blindfold removed, the eyes wide open and with the help of a good and trustworthy financial and real estate advisor/counselor/agent. Professional counseling plus listening to your own inner voice should make for a good and reasonable decision. Get
professional advice! Selling your house as it is and as you are at the moment without further consulting might be as risky as stumbling around in an unknown landscape with your eyes blindfolded - at least that is, what I read from this card at the moment. "

I wonder: did I miss a deeper dimension in the question and in The Fool here?