Alchemical Study Group - Five of coins

Leisa

(From the Book)

A crippled beggar holds out a hand waiting for alms. The beggar is unaware that coins--wealth--lie scattered on the ground around him. The coins bear the symbols of the four elements. The coin in the sky is the quinta essentia, the spiritual element that holds the four elements together. The beggar has
overlooked the spirit. No matter how much wealth he gets, he will not accumulate anything because the quinta essentia is missing. The quinta essentia nurtures his self-respect and self-confidence; it allows him to be carefree, generous, and creative.

Tarot wisdom: Poverty, ill-health, or loss of self-esteem are present or possible in your life. The means to turn the situation around are within you. You must open up to the unbounded creative potential of the quinta essentia, the world soul, that is at the center of your being. The same intelligence that continually creates the universe has created you. By accepting the guidance of your higher self, you can draw on this power and allow it to transform your life. The acceptance of this higher power leads you into feelings of gratitude, generosity, and freedom from care that are the characteristics of a state of true prosperity. For even if you have an excess of wealth, but have not a generous carefree spirit, then you are still like this poor beggar.

sapienza

I think this is a great representation of the Five of Coins. I really like how in the distance the land is green and lush with beautiful buildings and mountains, and yet where the beggar stands is barren. To me this is showing that if we view ourselves as poor, or lacking, then this is indeed where we will find ourselves. By focusing on what we do not have, we are blind to what we do have and what we can feel grateful for.

I guess this beggar has a few different options. He can work hard and pick up the coins that lie at his feet. He can look up to reconnect with the spirit. Or he can turn around and look at how beautiful the world is and choose to feel grateful for what he does have rather than focusing on what he doesn't have. Or he could do all three :)

The image could also show that the person feels shut off from the wealth that others have, or like a bit of an outsider. Or maybe it indicates that they are choosing to take the road less travelled, perhaps even like the monks who give up their wealth to focus on spiritual growth. So maybe it could indicate that someone is making a choice to forgo material advancement in order to focus on spiritual growth.

mac22

I agree with sapienza it is a great representation of 5 of coins.

mac22

JimmyJonesah

sapienza said:
I think this is a great representation of the Five of Coins. I really like how in the distance the land is green and lush with beautiful buildings and mountains, and yet where the beggar stands is barren. To me this is showing that if we view ourselves as poor, or lacking, then this is indeed where we will find ourselves. By focusing on what we do not have, we are blind to what we do have and what we can feel grateful for.

I guess this beggar has a few different options. He can work hard and pick up the coins that lie at his feet. He can look up to reconnect with the spirit. Or he can turn around and look at how beautiful the world is and choose to feel grateful for what he does have rather than focusing on what he doesn't have. Or he could do all three :)

The image could also show that the person feels shut off from the wealth that others have, or like a bit of an outsider. Or maybe it indicates that they are choosing to take the road less travelled, perhaps even like the monks who give up their wealth to focus on spiritual growth. So maybe it could indicate that someone is making a choice to forgo material advancement in order to focus on spiritual growth.

These are some great thoughts, Sapienza. The man definitely seems to be in "Tunnel Vision" mode, while at the same time surrounded by a number of alternatives should he choose to change his point of view or focus. I love the idea of him as a wandering siddhu or holy man.

RexMalaki

There are Five Coins, but the Beggar is only aware of the four representing the elements. He fails to notice the coin representing the quinta-essentia, the fifth element, the world soul. His sickness and his poverty are a result of identification with what is missing. The more a person thinks about a problem, the bigger the problem becomes until soon that is all there is. The Beggar is barefoot, clothed in rags, and stands on rocky ground isolated from his community. The material world has a firm hold on him, but the spiritual is so close.