Alchemical Study Group - VIII Justice

Curtis Penfold

Guys, what does it mean that Justice is associated with the death aspect of the tripple Goddess? The Crone?

I don't know that much about Alchemy and this deck, and I'm trying to read more, but I do know a bit about mythology. When I hear "the death aspect of the Goddess" I think of Kali and dark goddesses like that that represented destruction.

Feisty Kat

Curtis Penfold said:
Guys, what does it mean that Justice is associated with the death aspect of the tripple Goddess? The Crone?

I don't know that much about Alchemy and this deck, and I'm trying to read more, but I do not a bit about mythology. When I hear "the death aspect of the Goddess" I think of Kali and dark goddesses like that that represented destruction.

Death doesn't always refer to the end of life, but can just refer to the end of anything...a job, a relationship, a courtcase. In this case, I think it refers to getting your just desserts. Death is associated with many goddess including Aphrodite, who are not typically considered "dark". Athena is a goddess who is often associated with Justice too.

UZU--Feisty Kat

Curtis Penfold

But when we say, in the OP, that Justice represents the death aspect of the tripple Goddess, are we referring to one of the three aspects. As in, is Justice a crone?

Thank you for your response, Feisty Kat. It really does help me look at this card deeper than I have.

Feisty Kat

Curtis Penfold said:
But when we say, in the OP, that Justice represents the death aspect of the tripple Goddess, are we referring to one of the three aspects. As in, is Justice a crone?

Thank you for your response, Feisty Kat. It really does help me look at this card deeper than I have.

Death is usually connected to the crone/grandmother aspect though I have seen it connected with the maiden aspect on occasion. (Think of Artemis who was a maiden and known for her fierce and deadly temper or Athena who was also a maiden goddess and yet a goddess of war.) Another thing to keep in mind that most death goddesses where also birth goddesses (as in they attended or were prayed to for deliveries too).

The modern interpretation of the aspects is maiden, mother and crone, but the ancient Greeks also had maiden, bride and mother (Hekate, Persephone, Demeter respectively. While modern times tend to consider Hekate as a crone, in ancient times she was ALWAYS depicted as a maiden.)

UZU--Feisty Kat

Curtis Penfold

Feisty Kat said:
Another thing to keep in mind that most death goddesses where also birth goddesses (as in they attended or were prayed to for deliveries too).

Or the other way around. Taweret, the Hipo Godess, was in charge of both deliverance of birth and deliverance of the dead. As in, just like a baby was protected in birth by her, a person, when dead, was protected by her to be reborn:

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/taweret.htm

I do feel it's relevant to mention that Justice can refer to the necessary destruction. In Kali's case, it's the destruction of spiritual evil. In Artemis's case, it's the destruction of things that hurt society.

Feisty Kat

Curtis Penfold said:
I do feel it's relevant to mention that Justice can refer to the necessary destruction. In Kali's case, it's the destruction of spiritual evil. In Artemis's case, it's the destruction of things that hurt society.

In my opinion, Justice can refer to getting your just reward/punishment. So yes it could be destruction.

UZU--Feisty Kat

sapienza

Hi, sorry I'm a bit late replying on this one. Robert Place links the three virtues of Justice, Strength and Temperance to the three aspects of the Triple Goddess. Justice is the Crone, Temperance is the Mother and Strength is the Maiden. I know he discusses this in the companion book but I think he may also talk about it in Tarot: History, Symbolism and Divination. I'm not 100% sure though and don't have the book to hand. Please let me know if you'd like me to check it out further. :)

Streamfinder

The text doesn't discuss the flames from her crown, nor does it identify the eye within the flames. The eye is identical to the eye form the 3 of staffs, the apotropaic magic symbol to ward off evil spirits. Does anyone have some insight to this? Are the flames related to the vitriol symbol on the sword hilt?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk