Alchemical Study Group - Lady of Swords

sapienza

In this card we see a lady in a purple dress playing a lute. Above her is a sword. She is surrounded by clouds.

I see this card as someone who is in the first stages of trying to express their mental realm. She is using her creative powers to express who she is, or to express who she THINKS she is, as this is a card of the mental energies. If you view this card as earth in air then it would be trying to make physical your thoughts, by writing or speaking, or singing, or whatever way you have to get your thoughts out and express them to others. I guess this would also fit if you saw the card as double air.

Place talks about the card representing verbal and artistic expression which is interesting as I'd never really associated swords cards with artistic expression. And yet our art is an expression of what we hold in our mind I guess. it's an interesting way of seeing this card. Also she wears a purple dress so her expression could also represent her spiriutal beliefs as well.

Kenny

I see this card as Air in Air. She is pure air, she knows comfortable in her realm and can easily understand any problems which beset her.

The sword over her head, pointing in the same direction as her head, could be indicative of her ability to turn and focus upon any problems she might come across.

Leisa

(from the book)

A woman sitting on clouds plays a lute and sings. She is the artist of words, poetry and song. A sword hangs in the air above her, and represents the power of her words.

Tarot wisdom: You have eloquence and are at the peak of your verbal or artistic expression. You appreciate the beauty of words and thoughts.

RexMalaki

The Lady of Swords is a buxom blond, sitting on a cloud, playing a lute, symbol of purity and faithfulness. She sings of the new-found creativity of access to her higher unconsciousness. The sword above her head points in the same direction she faces, showing the power of her focused intention. She is the earthy aspect of air; like a muse she brings ideas to the consciousness. If she is a spy she would be the perfect spy.

Samurai2001

Ladies as muses?

The Lady of Wands and Swords, in particular, remind me of the Muses, with their focus on the arts, though I think a case could be made for the Lady of Coins and Cups as Muses as well.

RexMalaki

Samurai2001 said:
The Lady of Wands and Swords, in particular, remind me of the Muses, with their focus on the arts, though I think a case could be made for the Lady of Coins and Cups as Muses as well.

I agree...especially that fresh artistic perspective, like the whole world is new.

On another aspect...I don't think I would try to assign a particular muse to a card, but it could be for a reading that Terpsichore or Euterpe is influencing the meaning of a card. {I say Terpsichore because this was the muse I was reminded of by Lady of Swords.}

"Terpsichore (dance) is often seen dancing and carrying a lyre"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muse

...but..."Erato (lyrical poetry) is often seen with a lyre and a crown of roses."