Clarifying Tarot readings...

Krakken

Hoping this thread is meant to be a friendly discussion of how and why we do or do not use clarifiers.

We are all here to learn. I only see clarifiers as a problem if you are using them
to force the cards to give you the answer you want. Otherwise... happy learning,
everyone! :)

Absolut! this is friendly thread... What people does with his deck is their problem.

I was curious about using clarifying cards... cause in the in this forum there´s a lot of people who use it. and ... for every kind of art... there´s always a chance of "learning a bad habit". ..like "forcing the änswer" pulling cards to give you "that answer you´re looking for".
or trying to make the answer looks more positive.

in my opinion and experience... the exact same answer will come in the next card.

Thanks for your answer. :)

Citrin

..like "forcing the änswer" pulling cards to give you "that answer you´re looking for".
or trying to make the answer looks more positive.

Now, that is really a bad habit! :/ I've also seen this happen, especially to readers just starting out. They're so scared of seeing Death, The Tower, or Ten of Swords that they have to "clarify" the card by drawing another and when it's a "positive" card they can just shake off the other cards feeling content with having changed around the message. If we're not prepared for getting ANY answer a tarot reading is a really bad idea...

I don't think everyone who uses clarifiers does this though.

earthair

Dont you think a card would be just enough a simply to get "the answer"?

Depends on the question. If you can answer sprawling interconnected questions like 'why did I get fired and what career path should I take now?' with one card, then I take my hat off to you :livelong:

A extra deck gonna be need it if the tarot reader use the whole deck for a reading. can you imagine .. clarifying every card... ?

Thanks for your comment! :)

I can't imagine using a whole deck for a reading and having to clarify every card with one from another deck, no! Can you imagine the chaos...and the huuuuge table you'd need?! :bugeyed:

But I've seen people read from spreads which (to me) look like a formless string of positionless cards, or someone throwing a pile of cards at the table, and still answer the readee's question comprehensively, so, whatever works for them. It's only a problem if they get stuck or confused or fail to answer the readee.

Krakken

'why did I get fired and what career path should I take now?' with one card, then I take my hat off to you :livelong:

If you noticed. .. there is 2 questions there.

I can't imagine using a whole deck for a reading and having to clarify every card with one from another deck, no! Can you imagine the chaos...and the huuuuge table you'd need?! .

Yeah! There is people that use the whole deck.

About the huge table #LOL :)

Krakken

They're so scared of seeing Death, The Tower, or Ten of Swords.

i would be more scared About the queen of sword! She will cut you off. :)

ana luisa

I use clarifiers but usually only one. And if that card keeps bugging me, I will NOT push meanings into it. This turns out to be counter productive and totally kills the intuitive work. I either dismiss the card or do a whole spread on it alone. Some French readers call this card "la carte muette".
I believe the fact of using or not clarifiers does not necessarily make you look like an amateur. It's rather the MESSAGE you deliver and its ACCURACY that does it. As you said yourself. To each their own. Like RiversRunDeep, I also mix oracles with Tarot. Because it works "for me".

Krakken

I use clarifiers but usually only one. And if that card keeps bugging me, I willpush meanings into it. Tns out to be counter productive and totally kills the intuitive work. I either dismiss the card or do a whole spread on it alone. Some French readers call this card "la carte muette".
I believe the fact of using or not clarifiers does not necessarily make you look like an amateur. It's rather the MESSAGE you deliver and its ACCURACY that does it. As you said yourself. To each their own. Like RiversRunDeep, I also mix oracles with Tarot. Because it works "for me".

I've got The same opinion as Barbara Moore, steanpunk tarot, page 37. If you cannot give an answer with one card... go to study.

:) thanks for replying.

Lerena

I find that if I need a clarification card, that probably means 1.) My question is too vague or 2.) I'm not meant to know the answer at the moment. Sometimes I do, however, get something like the Five of Swords in a one-card reading and I'll draw a couple extra cards to give me context, but I don't draw a million cards to get the answer I want.

There was a time when I would draw a lot of clarification cards and after a while I realized that was only complicating everything. Most of my readings are also just 3-4 cards, because I rarely need a larger reading than that. I still consider myself a beginner, but this forum has taught me a lot about effectively reading the cards and in general how quality over quantity works best. More cards does not often mean more information.

Citrin

Sometimes I do, however, get something like the Five of Swords in a one-card reading and I'll draw a couple extra cards to give me context, but I don't draw a million cards to get the answer I want.

I think this can be a problem with the one carder draw actually... It gives no context, unless you specifially ask something like "What are the negative aspects of me dating X?" or "What are the positive aspects of me changing career path now?". If you just ask "What will my day be like?" you lose the context, no? I used to read the cards in a very free way, no spread and just drew as many cards as felt right, but I stopped doing this because again, I felt that it lacked context! A good spread gives your cards context, no matter if you draw 1 or 78 cards... It's probably more tempting to pull clarifiers if you're not really comfortable with that kind of "free reading" or ask the one carder vague questions.