Trying to use my FAVORITE DECKS!!

bonebeach

VioletEye, ommmgg. I hadn't seen that. Thank you. I actually think that deck looks GREAT after the flattening with the car. I must admit that I think I'm still too squeamish to do that, but UGH now I totally want to. I'm about to do my first deck trim so perhaps that will help loosen up my remaining inhibitions. The dryer! The dryer will age ANYTHING! I've stopped putting my favorite clothes in the dryer because I've used it as a distress tool with such effectiveness.

I'm so with you in general. I hate shiny new stiff denim and I trash it through tough use as quickly as possible. I no longer deliberately shave layers off, but I'll wear it hard.

I'm also a planner nerd and I feel like there's two types of people:

filofax people, who keep their planner in pristine condition: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Im6WlCWM-...1600/Screen+Shot+2013-09-25+at+3.47.28+PM.png

and midori traveler's notebook people, who buy the planner that specifically advertises itself by how well worn it gets:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mq2u-X9dd...AALw4/g7Eqi4boK3I/s1600/110514_TN+BLACK-2.jpg

And I'm not gonna say "and never the twain shall meet," but it is pretty unusual... :D

Nemia

Well, I'm glad all these wonderful decks exist in somebody else's collection, complete and in mint condition. They're printed matters, reproduced, it's not as thought they'd go extinct if I personally don't protect them.

I use my decks. I don't have precious collector items but even if I had, I'd use them. I love my decks and I show my love by using them - we all have different love languages. I make bags for them, I shuffle them and put them back in order and then shuffle some more, I trim and edge-treat them if I feel they'd look or function better for it, and I treat them carefully, but not reverently. Like my books that I read and re-read over dozens of years, the older decks show first signs of use. And I'm fine with that. I don't keep a museum full of pristine cards but decks that accompanied me for part of my life journey.

But this is MY love language for books, decks and everything else I own. I treat them well but use them. It's wonderful to hear that there are so many approaches to this - I never even knew that there are people who buy double decks!

Achlys

I've never bought duplicates for the sake of preserving one, but I'm not a collector.
I will usually change the way I shuffle to prevent the cards from being damaged if that's a fear of mine. For my advaitarot deck, I shuffle it by mixing the cards gently rather than a traditional shuffle.

G6

I've never bought duplicates for the sake of preserving one, but I'm not a collector.
I will usually change the way I shuffle to prevent the cards from being damaged if that's a fear of mine. For my advaitarot deck, I shuffle it by mixing the cards gently rather than a traditional shuffle.

For me, I think of duplicates more as having another copy when the first one wears out although I think some collectors do this to sell at a later date.

VioletEye

VioletEye, ommmgg. I hadn't seen that. Thank you. I actually think that deck looks GREAT after the flattening with the car. I must admit that I think I'm still too squeamish to do that, but UGH now I totally want to.

doooo it! })

bonebeach

The only spare deck I have right now is an Aquarian! I'm not sure it would age well. But ohh, I am so tempted.

mrpants

feynrir, the only way to get over it is to dive in and use them! Just wash your hands first, and maybe just use them for personal readings. You should most definitely enjoy your purchases.

Madame Squee

I'm so with you on this one. :D

I've been 'saving the best for the last' all my life, but lately have been thinking about what if this 'last' never comes? :( Life's too short and too unpredictable, so I intend to squeeze dry every moment of it. My older and more fragile decks get rarer and gentler handling, but they're still read with, and it's such a joy to be 'talking' to them and renew that connection again and again. And a very simple set of precautions (wash your hands before reading, don't eat or drink while reading, lock out the cat, etc.) reduces the probability of an accident down to nil.

Hey dancing_moon, you are so right! At age 64, the last has finally arrived here, and every morning, I wonder, "What if the end comes TODAY??!!! So, while I still have the chance, I happily shuffle and read with all of my rare, irreplaceable decks, no longer attempting to preserve them through disuse for some distant future and unknown purpose. However, I also continue to observe your same list of precautions, because, hey, who knows? I might make it to 93! :D

Ambrosia

I've never bought a back-up deck...ever.

Having said that, I'm not a collector as such, and I buy my decks to use.
The only deck which may qualify as a back-up of sorts would be a pocket edition of a favourite deck but that is really for practical reasons.

I don't have any rare decks (unless you count the OOP first edition Victorian Romantic and Bohemian Gothic decks).

I say use your decks. I'm also someone who's regular dinnerware consists of mix & match beautiful antique plates, cups and bowls that are a joy to use - seems a shame to leave them in a china cabinet to get used once a year.

Thoughtful

Hallo!! :D

Perhaps you kind folks could help me. Some of my favorite decks are the ones I use the least, mainly due to me not wanting to mess them up! (For example, the ISIS TdM is dear to my heart, but I've rarely read with it for fear that it'll get beat up!! It is all the way from Japan, after all...)

Has anyone faced this before? It's a particularly bad case with me! How can I get over it??

Thank you!

The only suggestion l have is what others have said, if you can afford it buy a second copy. If a tarot has been bought as a future collectible l see the hesitancy you might have in using it.
l have three copies of my favourite tarot, one l use for my own readings, one l use for reading with others and the third is still shrink wrapped safe and cosy should a disaster happen to my others. It is also going OOP and HTF and the thought of not being able to buy a future edition ever, filled me with some concern.
You bought your tarot to use and enjoy, take the plunge :)