Trying to use my FAVORITE DECKS!!

madhatter00o

Heh, I know this feeling all too well. Some of the decks I have are out of print and/or difficult to find, meaning they're either somewhat expensive or in less-than-perfect condition for the price I would get them.

A second-hand copy of the Miracle Tarot (illustrated by the enormously talented Shimizu Reiko) came yesterday. The accompanying book and box were a little banged up, but the cards are in excellent condition. As such, I want to keep them that way, especially since the images are tear-inducingly gorgeous (or maybe I'm just easily moved by art). I'm probably going to try to find another second-hand copy with cards that are in decent condition before I start using it, though. For some reason, I just feel better knowing that I can use one copy without fear of wrecking the edges or scuffing the faces; I know that I'll always have a set in pristine condition to admire as art.

Still, it's not easy on the wallet, and it's definitely a slow process of getting second copies of decks. But I'd rather have the peace of mind that will enable me to actually *use* the cards (or at least one set of them) as they were intended.

ShinyAeon

I have a second copy of just one deck - Beasts of Albion, an oracle - partially because I needed a new copy of the guide book that comes with it (mine fell in my dog's water dish and sat there all day(!)), partially because I just love the deck to pieces, especially the gorgeous artwork, but mostly because I got them both at my local Half Price Books for ten dollars each.

I actually debated, even at that price, how profligate it was to buy a second copy...but I finally realized that I was unconsciously being a little bit ginger with it because I feared it was going out of print any moment (I bought it on remainder at Half Price Books, after all, and plus I almost never hear it mentioned by people - even a lot of experienced tarot readers and collectors go "Huh? What's that?" when I mention the name) and that if I lost or damaged a card, it would break my heart. But I love reading with it and really wanted to use it without worrying...so now I have a "backup" copy whose artwork I can go admire if this one gets tattered (though it's actually stood up very well - hardly any sign of use).

Meanwhile, I have a copy of the World Spirit Tarot that has gotten VERY worn - pictures showing white flecks - from normal use (which, in my case, is not heavy use at all - I'm an every-now-and-again reader)...and, while I love the artwork on it, too, I don't feel the need to just gaze at the pictures like I do with some decks. Although obviously this deck had some kind of substandard construction in its making, and if a "new, improved printing" version came out I'd definitely get one, I don't mind its condition.

I've found I have "reading decks" and "look at the pretty artwork" decks...usually "looking at the pretty artwork" distracts me too much to be able to read effectively, and Beasts is the only one that manages somehow to be good at both.

So I say: use your decks gently, in your home, to see if you're comfortable reading with them. If you are, and you can afford it (both in terms of can purchase it comfortably, and have the storage space for it - I have "hoarder fear" as well), go ahead and buy a second deck if it keeps your mind at ease. But remember the thing about life being short...you want to have enjoyed your deck when you look back on it; if you'd enjoy it more using it, screw up your courage and force yourself. ;)

Favorite quote from Big Bang Theory:

Leonard: (re: a collectible toy) Once you open the box it loses its value.

Penny: Yeah, yeah. My mom gave me the same lecture about my virginity. I gotta tell you, it was a lot more fun taking it out and playing with it....

lark

Meanwhile, I have a copy of the World Spirit Tarot that has gotten VERY worn - pictures showing white flecks - from normal use (which, in my case, is not heavy use at all - I'm an every-now-and-again reader)...and, while I love the artwork on it, too, I don't feel the need to just gaze at the pictures like I do with some decks. Although obviously this deck had some kind of substandard construction in its making, and if a "new, improved printing" version came out I'd definitely get one, I don't mind its condition.
Here you go.
http://hardestworkingwomaninshowbusiness.com/tarot/

Ms. Jocelyn

I am not a tarot collector in the sense that I want them all in glass cases! I want to use my decks and I do and some of them are OOP and limited editions and sometimes I think "should I use this actually for tarot?". It would be different in my case if other people were touching them but I believe in using the decks, that is my connection with them and they get sad just sitting there looking pretty :)

Although I have my first tarot deck, a RWS which has been part of my whole life since I first bought it myself at 13. It's starting to look a little old and I might have to buy a newer RWS (with plastic finish ugh) for more common use!

I have to agree with you. I too have a couple of decks, like the Tarot of the Origins, that I found for a mere 25 dollars, but a second copy would be IMPOSSIBLE to buy because of costs. I want to connect and use them too, I don't worry so much about messing them up.

Has anyone here thought of laminating their cards? I know I saw a thread on it here on AE. How about taking them to a local Fedex, make a copy on paper and put the copied image on a blank tarot card?

I know, maybe I sound crazy, but if you really love a deck….

Farzon

Hallo!! :D

Perhaps you kind folks could help me. Some of my favorite decks are the ones I use the least, mainly due to me not wanting to mess them up! (For example, the ISIS TdM is dear to my heart, but I've rarely read with it for fear that it'll get beat up!! It is all the way from Japan, after all...)

Has anyone faced this before? It's a particularly bad case with me! How can I get over it??

Thank you!
Oh I know too well what you're talking about. Similar problem here. I love my Tyldwick and my Mary-El but they simply seem so special, so powerful that I keep them for special occasions which never occur.

There's only one way of getting over this: using them for daily draws! Keep them where you have easy access to them, lock away all other decks and just go for it! [emoji1]