Language of the deck

TinaV

Why on earth should it? :)

There will only be a reading influence - if for some reason you find a different personal influence yourself from reading in German... say for example getting into a "German speaking mindset" makes you more "serious and with little sense of humour" (now German speakers - don't mind me! I'm just using an example. And - humour can be so different in different cultures) :) ).
- for instance. Then your readings may follow a pattern more in this vein.

:)

That's what I'm worried about! I do speak German but that stems from the time when I was a student, and studying in Germany for a year. It is a time in my life where I look back to in an ambiguous way; on the one hand, I enjoyed my freedom and the chance of exploring a new culture; on the other hand, I was in an abusive relationship with a German man, and I have had many unkind and negative encounters with Germans there (part of the culture?).

I'm on the fence about getting a deck here. I do enjoy going back to that city, but somehow the German language reminds me of the nasty comments I had to endure there. I guess it does make me feel more serious and even impolite at times.

Yelell

That's what I'm worried about! I do speak German but that stems from the time when I was a student, and studying in Germany for a year. It is a time in my life where I look back to in an ambiguous way; on the one hand, I enjoyed my freedom and the chance of exploring a new culture; on the other hand, I was in an abusive relationship with a German man, and I have had many unkind and negative encounters with Germans there (part of the culture?).

I'm on the fence about getting a deck here. I do enjoy going back to that city, but somehow the German language reminds me of the nasty comments I had to endure there. I guess it does make me feel more serious and even impolite at times.

Oh, that's unfortunate. Here, try taking this seriously.

Attachments

• gb2.jpg
    gb2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 77

RiverRunsDeep

I'm so sorry to hear about that. I guess that puts a different spin on things; it
is not the language itself that bothers you, but the associations you have with it.

Part of me wants to tell you not to pressure yourself to get a German deck,
yet...... Here you are on the forum, asking questions, open to feedback. This
tells me that a German deck is not a definite "no" for you. Could it be that your
Higher Self (or whatever you choose to call it) is nudging you to reexamine that
painful part of your past for purposes of healing? Maybe purchasing and using
a German deck could be the baby steps towards that purpose.

Just a thought, I'm not trying to be presumptuous. :)

Grizabella

I actually love some of the decks I've had that are in foreign languages. And sometimes have actually preferred it. The energy of the deck comes from you so if you have bad associations with German language on the cards, just wait til you can find a deck you feel better about.

Tanga

Aha - I see.
Well - my present feeling reading this, (if I were you) - is don't get a German deck.

Unless you think (ala RiverRunsDeep) it might be time for you to have some Catharsis from your unpleasant memories. Then you could get one just for you to work on yourself - not to read for other people as you wouldn't want your baggage in-advertantly spilling over into your readings for them.
Gummy Bear Tarot in German (Yelell's link) - or some such other - might be just the combination that is useful here?

...I have had many unkind and negative encounters with Germans there (part of the culture?)
? I don't know. German is a blunt and abrupt language (like Dutch - which is where I am presently on holiday) and "rules and structure" are much "sharper" than in other places - so misunderstanding and upset can easily come from this simple language barrier. Or is it all those dark oppressive pine forests? :) ).