Night Sun Tarot

rwcarter

Yes, the King Swords is Air of Air and the Knight is Fire of Air.

Clockwork Ghost

I know it sounds a bit crazy, but I feel that each deck has its own distinctive personality. The Deviant Moon has always come across for me as humorous, for instance. The Night Sun definitely 'feels' a certain way - for me, it makes me understand certain key points much easier - I don't know if it's because I've studied magick for so long, and this is definitely an occult deck, but the cards really leap out at me as having something special. I also get the same feeling with other more themed decks - I know people who absolutely hate the Steampunk tarot, for instance, but I enjoy its whimsical nature. I dunno, probably just me reading too much into things.

earthair

Yes, the King Swords is Air of Air and the Knight is Fire of Air.

That's not what I was asking. People are saying it's a Thoth deck, but in that case my point is Air of Air wouldn't be King of Swords, or indeed any type of King. It sounds like it's a strange Thothy/RW hybrid.

There seems to be no explanation given as to why they've done this, that I've found so far on searches...

rwcarter

That's not what I was asking. People are saying it's a Thoth deck, but in that case my point is Air of Air wouldn't be King of Swords, or indeed any type of King. It sounds like it's a strange Thothy/RW hybrid.

There seems to be no explanation given as to why they've done this, that I've found so far on searches...
The Courts are titled Page, Knight, Queen and King in the deck not Prince, Princess, Queen and Knight. Although the Courts have been given RWS names, they have been given Thoth elemental associations. Reconcile that as you will.

Tanga

I know it sounds a bit crazy, but I feel that each deck has its own distinctive personality. The Deviant Moon has always come across for me as humorous, for instance. The Night Sun definitely 'feels' a certain way - for me, it makes me understand certain key points much easier - I don't know if it's because I've studied magick for so long, and this is definitely an occult deck, but the cards really leap out at me as having something special. I also get the same feeling with other more themed decks - I know people who absolutely hate the Steampunk tarot, for instance, but I enjoy its whimsical nature. I dunno, probably just me reading too much into things.

Who says it's crazy? :) :)
Each deck definitely has it's own character expressed through the art-work, and we may see eye-to-eye or not, on what that is.
I love the idea of "getting to know the personality of your deck".

Can't every Tarot deck be "occult"? - since they're all for the use of uncovering/peering into the unconscious/hidden etc.?

I can't begin to comment on the order of The Court, or the elemental associations.
I've only just begun looking at it, and as the imagery deviates somewhat from standard I will need a long while to play with it.

But the images certainly "leap out and fill a gap" for me.
I have likewise accessed some understanding from it more easily (and with greater delight) than from some other decks.
It makes me laugh how some of The Court and other characters are wearing crowns of thorns (no disrespect intended to Christ admirers, this is my ironic sense of humour kicking in).
The inhabitants of Wands and Swords are wearing their mascotts (a sort-of lion head and skin, and the head-dress of a predatory bird - which for me is most definitely reminiscent of the alien in the movie "Predator"), Water people seem to be drowning in it, and Earth is pervading everything with growth.

Gives me an excited thrill. The more I look, the more I like it. Lol.

Mistteak

I got this one in the mail this week and it is odd and almost a bit disturbing but in a good way.
I like it so far. But don't really understand it.
What is coming out of the magicians mouth?
Ropes? A snake? Why?
And the details are so tiny I need my magnifying glass. still, pretty nice.

Yes I agree a little disturbing .. but in a good way. I have been using it to read for people that bug me for free readings .. they ask do you have other decks .. I say yes, but they are for paid readings .. not often they ask for a second free reading..LOL

Barleywine

I know it sounds a bit crazy, but I feel that each deck has its own distinctive personality. The Deviant Moon has always come across for me as humorous, for instance. The Night Sun definitely 'feels' a certain way - for me, it makes me understand certain key points much easier - I don't know if it's because I've studied magick for so long, and this is definitely an occult deck, but the cards really leap out at me as having something special.

Both of these are on my short list of near-term purchases. I feel the same way about the Night Sun. I was given a link to a site that shows images of all the cards in the deck (not legal to post here, unfortunately), and even before examining the details, the background colors of the minor arcana really grab me. They just feel right. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this one.

werewolfmoon

Originally Posted by Clockwork Ghost View Post
I know it sounds a bit crazy, but I feel that each deck has its own distinctive personality. The Deviant Moon has always come across for me as humorous, for instance. The Night Sun definitely 'feels' a certain way - for me, it makes me understand certain key points much easier - I don't know if it's because I've studied magick for so long, and this is definitely an occult deck, but the cards really leap out at me as having something special.

I have this bookmarked on Amazon UK after seeing a review on Aecelctic, I did a Google search for images and was blown away by the artwork, it looks amazing. I was particularly drawn to the pregnant, female Death, what a wonderful paradox and such a strong image.

As a rule I always interview new decks, they usually (but not always) have a gender and a personality, my Deviant Moon is male and young and totally on point, Alchemy 1977 is female and young, The Witches Tarot is also female, As above is a both, depending on the question :D The darker the deck the fluffier the deck. I can't wait to see how the Night-Sun reads.

Maveriker

I got this one in the mail this week and it is odd and almost a bit disturbing but in a good way.
I like it so far. But don't really understand it.
What is coming out of the magicians mouth?
Ropes? A snake? Why?
And the details are so tiny I need my magnifying glass. still, pretty nice.

Yes, they are malas, or prayer beads. I don't know if it's what the artist intended, but it makes sense that they are coming out of his mouth as a symbol of him reciting mantras (malas are traditionally used to count the number of times a mantra is spoken, as they gain magical potency with repetition, usually 108). There's also the correlation to western esotericism of speaking the truth and speaking something into being "and God *said* 'let there be light'" sound preceded both light and creation.

Now, can someone tell me what the hebrew letters on Death's pubis are and what they mean?

edit: Found it. It's as I suspected, yod he vav he… had to break out the magnifier to see it!

werewolfmoon

Yes, they are malas, or prayer beads. I don't know if it's what the artist intended, but it makes sense that they are coming out of his mouth as a symbol of him reciting mantras (malas are traditionally used to count the number of times a mantra is spoken, as they gain magical potency with repetition, usually 108). There's also the correlation to western esotericism of speaking the truth and speaking something into being "and God *said* 'let there be light'" sound preceded both light and creation.

Now, can someone tell me what the hebrew letters on Death's pubis are and what they mean?

I think it spells out the name of God, in the Hebraic tradition.

http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm