Totem Animals

moonstone11

I was wondering how you find out your totem animal or animals? I have the Druid Animal Oracle and the Medicine Cards. I have only just got them and have just spent time looking and being with them. Do I just draw a card and that's my totem? Also whatever animal I draw is that my totem for life? The books suggest spreads but I don't think they are for 'totem' animals as such. Any help would be great. Thanks.

redflash

I've just started looking into totem animals, I have heard the medicine cards are good. I just bought the transference healing animal deck which is supposed to help you tune into different animals so that you eventually find your own.

If you google it there are lots of sites that help you start finding your totem, like thinking about what animals you are attracted to & meditating for the answer etc.

Hope this helps a bit. xx

memries

I would recommend Ted Andrews ... Animal-Speak. It is really a good book and is very informative. Which animals present themselves to you ? Which do you have an affinity for ? It can be that one animal keeps appearing to you and then another is the one you will see. Or birds. It really is fun to watch and see what comes along for you and each has a message.
I am sure there are other books as well but this is the one I have used for years.

tink27

Medicine Cards

In the book, there is a spread for nine totems. These animals are your allies and can and are available when you need them. In my totem is Squirrel, where I hunt for nuts (books and information) to be used later. And it's so true!!

There is also your Power Animal, which is found through meditation and Journeying. It is who you are deep inside.

tink

Merenwen

I'm not sure where I read that now, but I thought the animal can change throughout your life. Different animals help you with the different stages of your life.

I must admit, I haven't done much with them, but I love the Druid animal oracle.

MoonLite

I'm also very interested in learning about Animal Totems and have the Druids Animal Oracle and Medicine cards too. Not that I've tried read with them exactly... just pull a card or two now and again and read the messages that a particular animal has to tell me.

I do agree though that animals that we are drawn to, or those that keep appearing in our lives are totems that are significant to us. Even animals that we dislike, their medicine may perhaps symbolise something we are not facing up to.

I've recently been trying to pay attention to the animals that I see around me though and it's been fascinating to read about the messages that they bring. They really are so spot on, so I find very intriguing. :D Pay attention to your dreams too, as another way that their messages come to us.

I've recently bought Ted Andrew's "Animal Speak" that Memries recommended and can see it's going to be a book that I'm going to delve into for years to come. This site also lists lots of animal totems: Cycle of Power - Animal Totems

I came across this Animal Guide Meditation too not so long ago, so you might find of interest.

:love: MoonLite xx

Dancing Bear

tink27 said:
In the book, there is a spread for nine totems. These animals are your allies and can and are available when you need them. In my totem is Squirrel, where I hunt for nuts (books and information) to be used later. And it's so true!!

There is also your Power Animal, which is found through meditation and Journeying. It is who you are deep inside.

tink

tink is right in the Medicine card book that comes with the cards. There is an excercise you can do that gives you your Totem.
I also have a squirrel in my Totem LOL!!
My Main Power animal is the Bear always has been through out my life.
Play with your Medicine Cards and get to know them, I just love them and have worked with them for many years now, and coming up with my own cards at times also through experience with the animals. they are very enlightening.

Have Fun and Luck on your journey :love: