Pearls of Wisdom ~ The Hermit

6 Haunted Days

I do believe this is my favourite card in this deck, though that's so hard to say, I love so many! It's my birth card, and I always check out The Hernit when thinking about getting a deck. But so many depictions are quite sparse and basic. When I saw this card posted in the other thread, I knew I'd been right in following my intuition when I bought this deck with most cards unseen. This Hermit card is deeply spiritual.

This image for the Hermit so exquisitely portrays what this card means to me. He's emerging from a cave under a full moon, holding out his radiant green lantern. I like how his staff still has branches on it, it symbolizes the bridge between the earthly realm and the spiritual realm.The snake winding around it symbolizes transformatiom and cycles....a rebirth. Another thing for me snakes symbolize is powerful wisdom, ancient and primal.

There is a rock table that has an open book with pearl prayer beads marking his place. 3 pears sit in a dish, I'm not too farmiliar with what pears would me in connection here.

I especially love the books on the top of the card. Seeking wisdom and knowledge can come from books and study as well as going within and doing inner work. In my life and path that has certainly been the case, and you never see them in a hermit card! For bookends, on the left we have a white shiny orb...a large pearl? On the right is a genie type lamp burning. On each side there are pearls hanging down, again they say prayer beads to me, and there are 9 beads in each string, a connection with this card and the mystical number 9. To his right burns a high fire, a beacon in the darkness....a need-fire.

One of the most interesting aspects to me are the faces depicted in the stone and tree.This card is historically Father Time...Saturn. I am seeing an outline of a kind of sad, stern face on the boulder on his right. There is a profile of a stone face reclining silouhetted against the full moon. And the tree seems to be in profile on this card, looking very contemplative and inner-focused. Deep in thought. And of course on the bottom we have a large green lantern....the illumination of self-reflection, finding our way through our shadow and the Underworld to learn secrets and treasure. Leading others on to wisdom and healing.

Interestingly Peorth is the rune chosen for this card. A very dark, occult, mysterious fated rune. It's often tied with divination and casting lots. The Norns, Mothers, Wyrd Sisters. Owl is sometimes it's totem, a nocturnal creature full of knowledge and wisdom....especially wisdom of the Otherworld. There are deep secrets here, hidden knowledge soon to be revealed. The Divine is close at hand in a powerful way. Fate-Spirits are connected with this rune, often veiled and hooded (like the Hermit) who spin threads in the starlight.

Hopefully my rumination of this card wasn't too disjointed, it's taken me longer than I thought in writing it out (kid distractions lol) and now I'm tired! I'm sure I will add to more thoughts later. :)

:love: Miss 6

Sulis

I hadn't noticed the faces in the rock until Rede Seeker mentioned them in another post but now I see a sad and old looking face.
The Hermit is a seeker and also a guide and he has learned a lot from his long life and from his solitude and introspection. I think that an old, wise and quite sad face fits very well.

There is a lot of illumination in this card. The full moon shines down from the sky, the fire burns brightly and the hermit's lantern also throws light onto the open book with the prayer beads and the bowl of three pears.

I have no idea what pears symbolise but I have heard that they are a 'gift from the gods'.. I'd love to know if anyone has any other ideas about them as they show up in quite a few cards in this deck.

I love the way he is emerging from the cave.

Attachments

• Hermit.jpg
    Hermit.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 233

6 Haunted Days

Yes, that's it.This card is unfused with a soft golden glow. It's radiant but in a subdued way. No wonder I love it so much. There is also stillness and silence....it's very calming. Going to your center. I think this would be a great card for meditation or something to focus on when I'm having anxiety or confusion.

She says in the Emperor definition that pears symbolize benevolent justice, hope, good government and wise administration. But I know they mean more than those things, and I do recall too hearing something about 'gift from the Gods' in connection.

Rede Seeker

I love the Lights, too

If the Light is a symbol of Divinity, then the Divine is reflected all around the Hermit. He seeks it and it answers him, very cool symbolism.

My favorite is the Earth Spirit, this time in rock form. Caves are so often depicted as the womb, and therefore, Female. Here the Earth Spirit's head forms the cave - wisdom, as old as bedrock - Male or Female isn't a factor.

For all the isolation this card represents, the Hermit seems to have comfortable surroundings. He even has a pile of wood prepared for the fire (behind the lantern on the border).

The rock table has a table runner under the book, respectfully protecting the wisdom it contains. I see the string of pearls more as a bookmark than prayer beads. The three strings of pearls end in what looks like a green tassle. In the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, the Queen of Swords wears a bracelet with a tassle. I was taught that it represented her release from bondage. Could the green tassle represent the Hermit's harvesting of wisdom from various sources? The green end-piece could also be a leaf or vine still vital and growing. Any thoughts?

Concerning Perthro - this has always been my 'Leap of Faith' Rune. The Goal isn't the driver here, it's the process you follow that unfolds to the end which you, yourself created by your deeds.

I feel great grounding and stability with this card. The Hermit reminds me of Father Christmas (could be the Season influencing me here..HoHoHo...) He withdraws from the World till his Season calls him forth again. In the mean-time, he keeps his mind active while his Soul recharges.

Sulis

I'm learning such a lot about runes from you guys, thanks :)

Rede Seeker said:
The rock table has a table runner under the book, respectfully protecting the wisdom it contains. I see the string of pearls more as a bookmark than prayer beads. The three strings of pearls end in what looks like a green tassle. In the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, the Queen of Swords wears a bracelet with a tassle. I was taught that it represented her release from bondage. Could the green tassle represent the Hermit's harvesting of wisdom from various sources? The green end-piece could also be a leaf or vine still vital and growing. Any thoughts?
Rede Seeker I love what you've said about the tassle, I was taught that the tassle of the wrist of the RWS Queen of Swords signified a release from bondage too but I wouldn't have thought of applying that to The Hermit. It makes perfect sense though, he isn't bound to anything, he's a free spirit, removed from society to tread his own path.

He does look a little like Father Christmas in his red robe. The red shows that even though he is old, he still feels passion for his quest.