Intensive Deck Study Reboot!

BlueDragonfly

*I've had trouble getting this all entered without hitting a key that makes it all go away, so my plan is to start this and then hit enter and come back to flesh it out*

My IDS Guidelines with the DruidCraft.

I Pledge:

~My study deck will be the DruidCraft. Along with that I'll be using the Druid Plant Oracle and Druid Animal Oracle for reading and study. I'm keeping the Sacred Circle Tarot out for possible references in culture and Celtic spirituality, but no play.

~All other decks will be tucked away for at least 3 months. The end of the year seems to be a good time to reconsider my needs and research left to be done. I've only got one deck coming in the mail(thanks, jcwirish!) which will be checked for completeness, then put away. Again, no play! And no plans to purchase others, except maybe a backup DC. I'm not saying an emphatic no to new decks, should an opportunity present itself, well.....:) But again, check for completeness, then put it away.

~That said, I'll be using my general tarot books for numeroloy, astrology, etc., but no other companion books, except those with my specified decks.

~I'll handle/shuffle, keep close to my side(a good excuse to use my leather{heavy} satchel), the DruidCraft and my journal, every day.

~I will strive to do a daily draw and journal it each day. I'll be using my PDR/tarot blog for online journalling, and post my daily draws in the Your Readings forum.

~I will begin a card by card study beginning with the Majors, and enter my individual card studies in the DruidCraft Study Group.

~I will(and I forgot this when I was first writing this up) allow myself to stray from all things DC when Frankie comes to visit! :D

~I will not become discouraged if 'life' throws my study plans a ringer, but get back to it as soon as I can.

~I will come here for support and encouragement and commiseration and will gladly offer the same to my fellow IDSers!

I think that's about it. I'll come back and make ammendments if I've forgotten anything. :D

Wendywu

HerzogIsGod said:
Im interested in joining, but a little confused. Can I choose a TdM? Will there be others studying the same deck with me or am I just posting my own observations?

Im not sure of the basics

You choose your deck, your mode of study etc. You'd be welcome to choose any TdM, or any other deck you felt had enough content to warrant your actually studying it.

What this thread offers is somewhere to bounce ideas, get support, ask for help - and give it. Also a kin-ship feeling among fellow travellers :)

BlueDragonfly

HerzogIsGod said:
Im interested in joining, but a little confused. Can I choose a TdM? Will there be others studying the same deck with me or am I just posting my own observations?

Im not sure of the basics
I'm a first-timer myself, but I think you could choose a TdM. It's really an individual study of a deck of your choosing. There may be others who select the same deck, but it is basically individual.

The first post here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=140641 explains it much better and links back to earlier threads for the same project.

Hope this helps! :D

Le Fanu

The thing with TdMs is that I (personally) feel it is very easy to get bogged down with all the "how to read pips" stuff which - to be honest - is swaying me increasingly, worryingly away from the actual decks which I love so much.

My love of the glorious artwork which so pulls me in soon gets smothered with everybody's different theories and I feel like I'm being torn apart in different directions like a hounded fox.

I'm not sure personally I could do IDS with a Marseilles deck (though I did devote 3 wonderful months to the Vieville but that was before all the different reading methods addled my brain.)

But I want to be encouraging; Herzog, I know you could do a TdM IDS because I think you already have your reading method straight in your mind.

OctoberGwen

Le Fanu said:
What makes me recoil a little is the whole pledge thing. I can't even think of what conditions I would stipulate apart from using it and loving it and writing notes in my journal and reading the related literature

I know exactly what you mean. For me, I think it's going to take a pledge to make me buckle down and actually start focussing on Tarot as a tool for self exploration. Otherwise, I could go on collecting and dabbling for years...which is lovely, really. :D But I feel like I'm being called to make a connection spiritually, and I hope that creating a focus with Tarot (through the one deck method) will help me to do that.

I could feel totally different in three months, and that's fine, too. For now, I need some discipline. ;)

I feel like I'm cheating on my beloved BoGo, and last night was asking myself why I didn't just pick that, my favorite deck. I came to the conclusion that I feel such an affinity with the images that I probably wouldn't be challenging myself enough. I'm not sure why I feel that way, but I'm going to follow my instincts and go with the VR, whose images I don't understand on the same level. (I may use it the BG next time, though, if I do another IDS.) I do feel like I can read the VR really well and I think it will help me develop in this way.

Gah! Enough about me. :p

OctoberGwen

BlueDragonfly said:
I think that's about it. I'll come back and make ammendments if I've forgotten anything. :D

I like your guidelines. They're very specific and have given me a couple of good ideas.

Herzog

Le Fanu said:
But I want to be encouraging; Herzog, I know you could do a TdM IDS because I think you already have your reading method straight in your mind.

Thanks :) I've been working hard the past couple of months with the Noblet and now I'd like to switch over to the Dodal. Perhaps this IDS is a good thing right now. As it is I journal every day plus a ton of outside research and I only use the Noblet in the "Reading Exchange"... IDS may be a great addition to all this practice.

Care to join me in a little Dodal study, Le Fanu? :D

OctoberGwen

My first 3-card draw was interesting and made perfect sense to me. I've journalled it.

I also tweaked my self guidelines a little and posted the changes in blue.

Herzog

Le Fanu said:
My love of the glorious artwork which so pulls me in soon gets smothered with everybody's different theories and I feel like I'm being torn apart in different directions like a hounded fox.

I totally agree. If I decide to commit to this, my primary interest will be what Enrique Enriquez refers to as, Eye Rhymes. That is, what are the visual commonalities between a group of cards. I believe this can be approached scientifically as well as artistically. But this will be my focus.

Maybe every day I'll draw two or three random cards and force myself to find at least twenty "visual similarities" between them. I will post my list and a scan of these cards at the end of each day --or the beginning of the next day, depending on how tired I am :)--

I like this

hopena

Nina* said:
I'll join you when I've decided for a deck and this time I WILL follow through!

Deciding for a deck isn't easy for me though. Sigh! I'll be back!

I'm in the same position... skipping between the DruidCraft (and the oracles to go with it), the Faeries Oracle, Tarot of the Master (Vachetta), The Fairytale (MRP), or my Fantastic Menagerie (or the Lo Scarabeo, that I started out with in 2010, and the Thoth). Another on the list, is the Da Vinci Enigma, but for that, I want to wait until I can get my hands on the complete works of Da Vinci (that was on sale at Borders, recently).

I have too many decks, and I feel guilty having them just sitting there.

*edit. My mother bought me the book for Tarot of the Masters, thinking it was a companion for the Vachetta deck. :)