Gilded Tarot Royale

cirom

innana, Your observation is valid. I screwed up, as I do with almost every project. Despite the attention to producing the detail in the first place, I can't seem to avoid messing something up in every deck. I think its a consequence of producing so many variables along the way before settling on a final version thats part of the problem. Constantly changing my mind, and changing back again. Then its a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. No excuse though.... sorry everyone.

Having said that, while it may be jarring, but thankfully its a textured decoration thats disguised somewhat by the folds of the cloth and overall busyness of the depiction, so I don't think it should be any cause for real confusion in a reading, after all the Knight in question is still generally correctly colored, (at least by my criterea of coloring the suites) he's splashing around in water, and holding a cup.....

This project was all about improvement, artistically, symbolically, conceptually and its gratifying to hear that it has won over so many of those who for whatever reasons had dismissed the original version. That was to a great extent my goal. And hopefully in the context of this overall set of images the detail you have referenced doesn't detract too much.

Tibor

Actually I have just had this card come up in a reading for a client and I didn't notice that (I guess that's a good thing though) I will take another look now but I don't think it will bother me if anything it will give it another dimension or attribute ;)

cirom

Thats my concern that when something is pointed out it can become a distraction. A bit like when someone suggests that one of the characters looks like Charlton Heston or whoever, then a whole number of people give it an extra look, and look at it with a different perspective and then its "oh yes now I see it" and for ever more, in their mind the association is made. But take my word for it this knight is not a traitor or spy from the suite of wands in disguise. He really is the knight of Cups :)

Tibor

innana, Your observation is valid. I screwed up, as I do with almost every project. Despite the attention to producing the detail in the first place, I can't seem to avoid messing something up in every deck. I think its a consequence of producing so many variables along the way before settling on a final version thats part of the problem. Constantly changing my mind, and changing back again. Then its a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. No excuse though.... sorry everyone.

Having said that, while it may be jarring, but thankfully its a textured decoration thats disguised somewhat by the folds of the cloth and overall busyness of the depiction, so I don't think it should be any cause for real confusion in a reading, after all the Knight in question is still generally correctly colored, (at least by my criterea of coloring the suites) he's splashing around in water, and holding a cup.....

This project was all about improvement, artistically, symbolically, conceptually and its gratifying to hear that it has won over so many of those who for whatever reasons had dismissed the original version. That was to a great extent my goal. And hopefully in the context of this overall set of images the detail you have referenced doesn't detract too much.

I have just had a look at the card and the Knight of Cups does bear the symbol of fire however 'all is not lost' (You did not screw up Ciro LOL) :) This knight is actually the Fire of Water, the Creative Force so I will interpret it that way. Besides this fire symbol is the least visible out of all the knights' elemental symbols :) :) I guess that is why I did not see this the first time I had a look at the card. I actually think that it gave him more power and this can be used to facilitate interpretations in a reading which is great IMHO ;)

inanna_tarot

I had a great meditation with the Knight of cups being the type of healing energy that is like the Blacksmith or the surgeon.... and gives me a bit more of a 'meaty' version of the Knight of Cups, rather than some sap that writes dodgy love poems all day ;)

Winterchild

Thats my concern that when something is pointed out it can become a distraction. A bit like when someone suggests that one of the characters looks like Charlton Heston or whoever, then a whole number of people give it an extra look, and look at it with a different perspective and then its "oh yes now I see it" and for ever more, in their mind the association is made. But take my word for it this knight is not a traitor or spy from the suite of wands in disguise. He really is the knight of Cups :)

Its good to be human! I really am amazed at the difference in the two decks, so glad I looked now..... the depth is the Royale is amazing... and the edges around the *jellybeans* (sorry Ciro.... !) make them so less jelly bean like..... it works really well. I like the idea of the cards being larger too..... I really don't like the trend for lavish huge destracting borders and tiny central images like the Archeon. Your decks are so majestic they do suit a border but then the cards are not tiny. I really love the Lenormand though, its another different step in your art.

swedishfish612

My deck arrived yesterday, and I'm really kind of blown away by it. It is really quite beautiful, and has that feel of luxury. I got home last evening after being out of town for the day so I didn't have time to go through every single card, but I'm looking forward to doing that today. Even my husband, who really doesn't pay much attention to my Tarot obsession, was impressed with these cards and the artwork. He's more excited than I am to see what's on the companion disk!

Le Fanu

I now feel, through this Royale version, that the Gilded really is the triumph that everyone kept telling me it was and which I couldn't quite feel. I'm so glad you went back to this deck, Ciro, and reworked it in the way you did and created something else unique and fabulous for some of us, and a continuation of the original greatness for others.

I keep getting it out, looking at it and using it and finding it wonderful...

Nickigirl

I now feel, through this Royale version, that the Gilded really is the triumph that everyone kept telling me it was and which I couldn't quite feel. I'm so glad you went back to this deck, Ciro, and reworked it in the way you did and created something else unique and fabulous for some of us, and a continuation of the original greatness for others.

I keep getting it out, looking at it and using it and finding it wonderful...

Well said! I agree. :)

swedishfish612

I'm going to find it hard to talk about the Gilded Royale without gushing.

I did sit down with the deck today and went through it slowly, card by card, and compared it to the original Gilded. Without a doubt, the Royale artwork is more vivid, more realistic, and somehow more fantastical. I laid out the Major Arcana on my dining room table, and was just stunned by how gorgeous these cards are. At first, I wasn't sure I liked the idea of cards this large, but now that I have them I appreciate being able to see the artwork in this size.

Also loving the gilded edges and the thickness of the cardstock. Several times while going through the deck, I thought 2 cards had gotten stuck together. Nope, it's just that the cardstock is that thick! There's almost a sense of these being too special and too precious for everyday use, but I'm going to fight that feeling, lol. I firmly believe that I should use my beautiful things and not put them aside for "later." (Of course, it has occurred to me that buying a 2nd copy of the Royale would make me feel more comfortable about using my 1st. Nuts! lol)

Ciro, you mentioned that winning over those who didn't love the Gilded was one of your goals with this deck. Well, you've succeed with at least one of us!