This is a well cool deck.

Loads in it too, lots to look at.

thorhammer

Lillie said:
I just got it.

I really like it.

This is a well cool deck.

Loads in it too, lots to look at.
Maybe you can do some shadow work with it, Lillie? })

\m/ Kat

firefrost

Thanks for these!

It's a deck I definitely want.

I'm a bit unsure about that Eight of Swords, though. I guess I'm too used to the decks where she can escape her problems if she wants to.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the Six of Cups was the same card in the VR. Both looking out over rooftops.

Interesting!

Aulruna

For some reason, I expected this to be a "general Goetia" type of deck.
Only when I received my copy I realized this is a actually a Lovecraft deck... the one I had expected the Necronomicon to be :D

I'm very happy with it, but I probably won't use it for readings, rather to make the Lovecraftian universe come alive ;)

Nydia

Solandia said:
There's a few cards up on Aeclectic Tarot too, if anyone wants to see more of them.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/dark-grimoire/
Solandia, thank you for the new scans. I still like the colors and style. If I end up buying it, that will be the basic reason.

I've seen two aces now. Are all the aces books or grimoires? I'm worried I won't be able to get anything different from the four aces. I'm wondering if most of the card meanings will be elusive to me.

Is that H.P. Lovecraft on the card backs? I swear I saw that posted by someone, but I can't seem to find it now. (OK, I found it, post #36 by Queen of Disks) Is it the same man on The Fool? Does the LWB explain the scenes or give names of the characters?

shadowdancer

this too looks a readable and interesting deck. Alas I will be travelling for ages as from this coming week so may not be able to order it until the new year. In the meantime I will look out with interest to see further card scans.

Davina

aceofhearts

I think the artwork is something I would avoid as I dont want to reach too far into the darkness. I dont see myself as buying it. I just find the way the lady is held in a jar repels me. I just find it too dark and I felt a bit shuddery looking at it. It was like ahand on my back beckoning me to look at it.

"sometimes when you look into the abyss... the abyss looks back into you ..." The Order

I cant fault the artwork however and will when its out in the shops be taking a look at it. I am too intrigued for my liking with this deck.

Myrrha

Nydia said:
Solandia, thank you for the new scans. I still like the colors and style. If I end up buying it, that will be the basic reason.

I've seen two aces now. Are all the aces books or grimoires? I'm worried I won't be able to get anything different from the four aces. I'm wondering if most of the card meanings will be elusive to me.

Is that H.P. Lovecraft on the card backs? I swear I saw that posted by someone, but I can't seem to find it now. (OK, I found it, post #36 by Queen of Disks) Is it the same man on The Fool? Does the LWB explain the scenes or give names of the characters?

Yes, all the Aces feature mysterious and deadly Books of Knowledge Better Left Forgotten. They have different symbols on the covers: the Book on the Ace of swords has a ten pointed star for example. They are shown in very different enviornments. The Book in the Ace of Swords is floating in a sky filled with ominous clouds that seem to be taking the shape of....aieeeee! The Book in the Ace of Pentacles is in a dank and cold niche in the root celler of an old forgotten New England farmhouse. Rats scurry across the cover and their chittering begins to take on the cadence of speech, forming words, saying....aughhhhh!
(Ahem, sorry got carried away there)
The ones that are really a bit alike are the Kings/Queens of each suit. There are certainly a few differences in the deployment of tentacles and severed heads, but basically they are similar to each other and just sitting there on their thrones.

I don't remember the LWB naming many of the characters. There is a lot to read into in all the cards so a reader should be able to come with some interpretation. Still, I did recognize a few of the images and I imagine there will be lots of speculation here on the forum that will help you figure this out if you want to know.

I really like the Justice card. It seems to say that if someone hurts you they need to be taken care of and that is justice. This is the only card that at first glance really seems to carry a message darker or more aggressive than the usual tarot messages.

It was a little disappointing that the people in the Cups suit show no physiognomic signs of mixture with the Deep Ones. Not much of an Innsmouth vibe at all except maybe in the Five. I would have loved to have seen the Deep Ones themselves on the court cards.

A question for Lovecraft afficionadoes: Are there any stories that have humans riding one of the Elder Things? (the tube shaped Beings with starfish-like heads) I remember them as being not the kind of Being that would stand for this. The Six of Swords shows a woman riding one. However, it has an atmosphere of dream and I can think of several interesting interpretations regardless of whether this is true to Lovecraft's ideas.