Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews          Free Tarot Readings           What's New           Tarot Card Meanings

A new de-enabling thread

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks




 
Cat*'s Avatar
Cat*  Cat* is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 27 Sep 2007
Location: Northern Germany
Posts: 4,816
Cat* 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdancer339
I seem to be doing more collecting rather than reading, but the idea that the book is in Polish is attractive. Then I won't be bogged down...and can use the deck intuitively...just as soon as I start actually READING...LOL. I am fascinated by what I've seen of the artwork in this deck. Take a look at my profile....those of you who are more experienced will probably see a pattern that illustrates what I like and feel I can use.
Okay. You want to buy a deck with a book in a language you can't read because you can't read it? Why not do the good old burning of the LWB with a deck you already have if you want to get rid of all "book" support for that (intuitive) reading you're planning to eventually start sometime? That would be way cheaper. It would also help in freeing yourself of all that heaviness that's weighing you down.

Why are you fascinated by the art? Besides what Debra already said, the people in this deck don't have faces. What? You like it because the people look like trees? Uhm, not to be rude here, but to me it just looks like someone tried to hide their mediocre understanding of human anatomy and proportions by throwing a shapeless frock over most of them and/or adding wild hair to distract from the nonexistent faces.

How should anyone of us know what you could use if you say that you're not actually using any of the cards you already own to read?

So, you know you really just want to read. So don't buy more decks that will only increase the pressure and the bad conscience. Beacuse THAT will not make you start reading. What might get you to actually read i to just pick a deck from your already existing collection and remember to leave the LWB in the box (if you don't opt for the burning and want to save it for the day your wobbling coffee table needs some straightening out) and whatever books you might own on the shelf. And then come over to the various Readings sections to play! As an added benefit, you won't even have time to browse the cards section because you're so busy reading cards instead of deck reviews...

Hope that helps.
Top   #51
Cat*'s Avatar
Cat*  Cat* is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 27 Sep 2007
Location: Northern Germany
Posts: 4,816
Cat* 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTigress
My local used book store has the Magical Menagerie. [...] Now, the deck as I see them on the AT Cards list doesn't excite me. And yet every time I go back to the bookstore, it's still there. Like it's waiting for me or something.
Maybe it's there because nobody else gets excited about it, either? You know, like those clothes that are radically downpriced and you wonder why because they look really good on the clotheshanger. But once you try them on you know why there are so many of them left. They just don't work in action.

And even if they work, the fact remains that the scans don't excite you. So, do you really want to sink so low as to do pity deck buying? It's a friggin' deck of cards, and even if there are some cute animals on it, it's not like some huge-eyed puppy at the animal shelter waiting for someone to love it!

Buying a deck you're not excited about surely can't be what that "Fetch" card is about! (see here)

Also, the deck review tells me that the creator "has placed the focus of this work on a readership of magicians and wizards." Does that describe you? If not, why buy something that is directed at a completely different audience?

Finally, you already bought an oracle that did nothing for you at that shop. Why repeat the experience?
Top   #52
Skydancer's Avatar
Skydancer  Skydancer is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 06 Dec 2004
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,209
Skydancer 

Drogi -

DO NOT get this deck if you want correct anatomy - five fingers on each hand - and left and right on corresponding sides - correct spellings (which until you mentioned it I hadn't even noticed) - and lots of pretty little colored tidbits. Only get it if you want to read between the brush strokes and go with suggestions and not meanings that hit you right over the head.

There. My first try at de-enabling.

*S*

(how'd i do?)
Top   #53
karen0205's Avatar
karen0205  karen0205 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 22 May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,618
karen0205 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTigress
And yet every time I go back to the bookstore, it's still there. Like it's waiting for me or something.
Walk right on by. I did the same thing, I kept looking at it, at the few cards that you
get to see without buying the deck. I got it and was no more impressed with it
than I was before. The cards are ok but there's no depth to the artwork,
it seems kind of flat and all the cards are exactly the same artwork, just
a different animal. I don't think there's enough card either.
They could have done so much more with an animal deck but this just seems
like a deck that was done in a day or two. Not much thought into it.

I sold mine not too long after I bought it on aeclectic.
Top   #54
NorthernTigress's Avatar
NorthernTigress  NorthernTigress is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 08 Jul 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 14,573
NorthernTigress 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat*
Maybe it's there because nobody else gets excited about it, either? You know, like those clothes that are radically downpriced and you wonder why because they look really good on the clotheshanger. But once you try them on you know why there are so many of them left. They just don't work in action.

And even if they work, the fact remains that the scans don't excite you. So, do you really want to sink so low as to do pity deck buying? It's a friggin' deck of cards, and even if there are some cute animals on it, it's not like some huge-eyed puppy at the animal shelter waiting for someone to love it!
I think you are right. It's not like "tarot doesn't sell" at this bookstore. There was a second copy of Revelations recently, and it went quite quickly. I guess I'll just leave this Doggy in the Window.
Top   #55
gregory's Avatar
gregory  gregory is offline
Cat on a cold stone roof
 
Join Date: 01 Jan 2004
Location: The world of the things that could have been.
Posts: 72,249
gregory 

Drogi. Don't do it. Especially not for the book.

I was just given a deck attached to a novel in a language I don't know (I think it is Serbian...)

The images in my deck are delightful (I can say that because no-one is likely to find a copy !!) - but with a NOVEL about them - well, suffice it to say it took days to find a translation, extra money and - well, even books in Spanish, which I can JUST grasp at a pinch - do your head in when you want to actually find out something....

The Drogi pix are lovely - but so is random white and gold thread thrown at a black rug..... and that's much more creative - and could be read like entrails
Top   #56
karenquilter's Avatar
karenquilter  karenquilter is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 30 Dec 2007
Location: Washington, USA
Posts: 2,940
karenquilter 
Samurai Tarot


Tell me about the Samurai Tarot.
Top   #57
Debra's Avatar
Debra  Debra is offline
sporadic magic
 
Join Date: 21 Sep 2006
Location: .
Posts: 15,130
Debra 

For traditional Japanese-themed decks, nothing can beat the Uki-oye, which you already have.
Top   #58
gregory's Avatar
gregory  gregory is offline
Cat on a cold stone roof
 
Join Date: 01 Jan 2004
Location: The world of the things that could have been.
Posts: 72,249
gregory 

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenquilter
Tell me about the Samurai Tarot.
You don't like it.

That was easy.

Also true. If you don't believe me - buy it. You'll be sorry.
Top   #59
All Is One's Avatar
All Is One  All Is One is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 15 Mar 2002
Location: California, USA
Posts: 6,869
All Is One 

I get the strange feeling that the scans are of the best cards, and the rest are much worse. The scans show a lot of comic book influence.

Deciding factor? Gregory said that you don't like it.
Top   #60




 

 


Tarot Cards & Reviews          Free Tarot Readings           What's New           Tarot Card Meanings
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2020 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.