The Tarot of Vampyres

WolfyJames

Well, in my case I'm starting to think maybe I should get another copy. Dark decks mark more easily so having another copy would make me feel better knowing I could use my deck at its fullest, I love it that much. It wouldn't be my first backup deck.

strings of life

Alright, so I now have 2 copies of this deck. I have one on the way via a trade, and since I loved the reading that someone did for me via an exchange, I went to Barnes & Noble today and bought it for the retail price. I wanted it that bad! Plus, like WolfyJames mentioned, dark colored cards show signs of wear easily.

I like the card stock. Although this is a Llewellyn deck as opposed to a Lo Scarabeo deck distributed by Llewellyn, the card stock feels like the Lo Scarabeo - sturdy, smooth and has a lovely sheen over the matte finish.

More than anything, I can't believe I actually like this deck :laugh:. It feels like it should be cheesy, but after experiencing how it read, I'm sold. I love the colors, the costumes, the scenes. It aims to seduce and succeeds at it.

ETA: I am removing this comment: "It's a digital deck, but since the cards are dark, it works for me." It's not a digitally enhanced deck. I wasn't sure at the time of this post and that is what I meant when I said it was digital. His painting technique is extraordinary!

I just separated the cards to lost the ones that I loved versus liked and ended up with about 60 cards that I loved. That's huge for me. I love all of the Aces with the suit symbol and roses with the suit color, the liberated Fool, the sexy and determined Magician with his tools creating his spell, The High Priestess with the shining Moon above, the large deep-rooted tree behind her and her gorgeous white dress. I feel the need to ask for help from The Hierophant, I can see the result of forbidden love and temptation in The Lovers, the task at hand that The Hermit has when seeking answers and the difficulties that may present themselves, holding him back. The simplicity of The Wheel of Fortune is perfect, and helps me associate that with the Aces as well. I love The Hanged Man, Death (amazing!), The Tower, The Moon, The Star and The Sun. I love all of the cards in the Grails (Cups) and Skulls (Pentacles and most of the Knives (Swords); Scepters (Wands) is my least favorite. And the Prince of Grails looks exactly like Brian Viglione, drummer from The Dresden Dolls (one of my favorite bands) - see the attached card image. Cheesy I know. I'm virtually gagging myself as I type this.

Monday is a holiday here in the US, so I am going to plow through the book. My other decks (Steampunk and Housewives) are going to be put aside right now. Like I mentioned earlier, the reading for me was an emotional one and I really want to work with some of the cards.

I don't own any other Vampire decks. I just never connected with the artwork save for Place's Vampire Tarot, which I traded away since I disliked the card stock. I don't see this deck in the same vein as the Bohemian Gothic; they offer very different experiences. The Tarot of Vampyres is a display of romanticism and erotic vampire lore. Sure the deck is based on a legend, but the cards spill stories and appear to be a well thought out Tarot.

My wine is ready tonight. Time to play }).

Attachments

• brian_viglione-from-the-dresden-dolls-as-the-prince-of-grails.jpg
    brian_viglione-from-the-dresden-dolls-as-the-prince-of-grails.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 134

WolfyJames

I'm too exhausted to post more but I just want to say the deck is not digital, it's real drawings/paintings the artist did, I think he says so in the book. I'm too tired to look.

WolfyJames

It's not in the book but in the article Ian Daniels wrote for Llewellyn:

"The paintings for The Tarot of Vampyres were created in oil paints using traditional methods. A monotone underpainting was created as the foundation, onto which glazes of color were blended. When these stages were dry the tonal values were built up and fine details added. I decided to use a predominately Gothic color palette, but incorporating recurring colors for the Minor Arcana suits to represent the four elements. The colors of Major Arcana are related to the zodiacal, astrological, or planetary color symbolism following traditional Golden Dawn correspondences. While I appreciate the advancement of digital software to create imagery, I much prefer using the traditional techniques of paints and brushes. For me, the stroke of the brush and the scent of the oil paints are much more sensual and enjoyable to work with. They allow for any number of textural effects and can be built up in translucent glazes with illuminated effects. I feel also that the pigments themselves, produced from natural substances possess a magical quality of their own."

http://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/2148

strings of life

WolfyJames said:
It's not in the book but in the article Ian Daniels wrote for Llewellyn:

"The paintings for The Tarot of Vampyres were created in oil paints using traditional methods. A monotone underpainting was created as the foundation, onto which glazes of color were blended. When these stages were dry the tonal values were built up and fine details added. I decided to use a predominately Gothic color palette, but incorporating recurring colors for the Minor Arcana suits to represent the four elements. The colors of Major Arcana are related to the zodiacal, astrological, or planetary color symbolism following traditional Golden Dawn correspondences. While I appreciate the advancement of digital software to create imagery, I much prefer using the traditional techniques of paints and brushes. For me, the stroke of the brush and the scent of the oil paints are much more sensual and enjoyable to work with. They allow for any number of textural effects and can be built up in translucent glazes with illuminated effects. I feel also that the pigments themselves, produced from natural substances possess a magical quality of their own."

http://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/2148
Thanks for posting this. I edited my post above. When I sat with the cards last night, I had a feeling that I was wrong. His technique is wonderful and it's great that he explained it.

strings of life

I trimmed my Tarot of Vampyres

I trimmed by Tarot of Vampyres. I couldn't resist! I think it came out great. I posted images in the deck trimming thread but wanted to attach them here too.

I used my rotary trimmer and a 5mm corner rounder and trimmed the side and top borders, but left the bottom which had the title.

Attachments

• trimmed-tarot-of-vampyres.jpg
    trimmed-tarot-of-vampyres.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 133
  • tarot-of-vampyres-the-priestess-fortune-the-sun-trimmed.jpg
    tarot-of-vampyres-the-priestess-fortune-the-sun-trimmed.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 118

Eyebright

Oh Auracana they look absolutely fabulous trimmed!! I wish I was brave enough (and had the tools to attempt it), the images really 'pop' like that
*swoons*

strings of life

Eyebright said:
Oh Auracana they look absolutely fabulous trimmed!! I wish I was brave enough (and had the tools to attempt it), the images really 'pop' like that
*swoons*
Thank you! I'm posting new photos now since these make my trimming project look crooked. They are perfectly trimmed. Uploading now...

OctoberGwen

Wowee!!! They look awesome! And what's that green, shimmery bag/cloth? Hmmm? :D

strings of life

OctoberGwen said:
Wowee!!! They look awesome! And what's that green, shimmery bag/cloth? Hmmm? :D
That silk bag came from MoonGypsy and it is a prized possession when it comes to bags. It looks perfect with the deck too! The Grails suit, which is green, is my favorite, so it seemed fitting.