It's the all singing, all dancing enabling Thread #3

willoe

So here's the thing..

I've started seriously studying the Thoth a few weeks ago. I've got my lovely purple-boxed deck with its 3 magus cards and I love it. I'm loving the experience and I'm certainly learning a lot.

But my darling deck isn't exactly big enough for "serious study" time.

I think I need to be enabled on a Large Thoth.

I keep thinking about how nice it would be to see the images larger, and to keep them in a certain order on my tarot table at home.. but then the rest of me says that I can just look online or that I already have one deck, why on earth would I need another?

Help?

For those of you with the "small" and the "large", is the size difference very noticeable? Is it worth it for study of the images?

And, for funsies, I've been looking at the Liber T deck out of the corner of my eye.. enablers? :)

nisaba

willoe said:
I've got my lovely purple-boxed deck with its 3 magus cards

I think I need to be enabled on a Large Thoth.

but then the rest of me says that I can just look online or that I already have one deck, why on earth would I need another?

Help?
This sounds like a job for <drumroll> Le Fanu! <cymbal clash>

He'll see you straight.

In case he somehow misses this thread, consider yourself competely enabled by his unassailable wisdom.

willoe said:
And, for funsies, I've been looking at the Liber T deck out of the corner of my eye.. enablers? :)
Go the Liber T. I notice the Thoth you have isn't a Greenie. All Thoth afficionados need a Greenie in their collection. The Liber T is a Greenie par excellence, with smoothed-over images, and fantastical and at times disturbing figurative illustrations in the minors - you need this deck. (even if just to make you sigh with relief when you return to the main Thoth).

willoe

nisaba said:
This sounds like a job for <drumroll> Le Fanu! <cymbal clash>

He'll see you straight.

In case he somehow misses this thread, consider yourself competely enabled by his unassailable wisdom.

I adore enabling by proxy. :D

nisaba said:
Go the Liber T. I notice the Thoth you have isn't a Greenie. All Thoth afficionados need a Greenie in their collection. The Liber T is a Greenie par excellence, with smoothed-over images, and fantastical and at times disturbing figurative illustrations in the minors - you need this deck. (even if just to make you sigh with relief when you return to the main Thoth).

Ok, I'm suitably enabled on the Liber T. It just looks so interesting.

kabang

Someone enable me on the Touchstone Tarot. I found a copy, and it's time for a new deck. It's a little pricier than some of my other options though. Go.

rachelcat

For the large Thoth--Tarobearslair.com is having a sale! That's the best enabler for me! I got one--Deluxe sized AG Muller.

I also have a large US Games green box and a Swiss pocket, which are both trimmed. The cool thing about the large decks is that when the borders are trimmed off, the cards are about the same size as a medium deck WITH orders. So the difference in image size is noticable. (Not that I'm enabling trimming or anything . . .:))

As for the Liber T, yes, you need it if you're a Thoth student. Some of the images I really don't like, but you'll need it for study. And the majors are very cool, hippie-trippy clones!

Vesper

Touchstone

kabang said:
Someone enable me on the Touchstone Tarot. I found a copy, and it's time for a new deck. It's a little pricier than some of my other options though. Go.

1. Artwork: Painted by the masters.
2. Conceived and designed by Kat Black, creatrix of one of the most loved decks ever, The Golden.
3. It has a Happy Squirrel card!
4. Excellent study deck, if you're wanting to spend your free time on Wikipedia, looking up historical figures, saints, wars, inquisitions, reformations, revolutions, and artistic achievements.
5. Wonderfully expressive, very real-looking people. The website calls them 78 Friends, and you really do feel like they're talking to you.
6. Gilded edges.
7. Excellently sturdy box and comprehensive companion booklet, which is nevertheless small enough to fit in a bag for carry-around convenience.
8. Publisher went out of business, so it's unlikely to be reprinted. Better get it now before stocks disappear, and you're kicking yourself later because you can't find a copy for love or money.
9. You can join me and euripides in the http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=147830 Daily Draw thread.
10. Both the cards and the images are larger and easier to see. Beautiful colors, and NO white title boxes at the bottom or registration marks (which IMO ruin the look of the Golden).
11. It's supercool. Just get it.

kabang

evelone said:
1. Artwork: Painted by the masters.
2. Conceived and designed by Kat Black, creatrix of one of the most loved decks ever, The Golden.
3. It has a Happy Squirrel card!
4. Excellent study deck, if you're wanting to spend your free time on Wikipedia, looking up historical figures, saints, wars, inquisitions, reformations, revolutions, and artistic achievements.
5. Wonderfully expressive, very real-looking people. The website calls them 78 Friends, and you really do feel like they're talking to you.
6. Gilded edges.
7. Excellently sturdy box and comprehensive companion booklet, which is nevertheless small enough to fit in a bag for carry-around convenience.
8. Publisher went out of business, so it's unlikely to be reprinted. Better get it now before stocks disappear, and you're kicking yourself later because you can't find a copy for love or money.
9. You can join me and euripides in the http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=147830 Daily Draw thread.
10. Both the cards and the images are larger and easier to see. Beautiful colors, and NO white title boxes at the bottom or registration marks (which IMO ruin the look of the Golden).
11. It's supercool. Just get it.

:bugeyed: Sold. Damn, you're good.

Stormdancer

***disclaimer***

Completely off topic.....I am SO far behind in this thread, and only check in momentarily....forever lost, so I'm asking...

Is there any way that....when you post a reply, you NAME the deck you're "Enabling" in the TITLE ?????? That way I can PRETEND to know what's happening when I stop by???

**stumbles off "dumb*ss" box** :D

FaireMaiden

Deck Titles Go Here!

Stormdancer said:
***disclaimer***

Completely off topic.....I am SO far behind in this thread, and only check in momentarily....forever lost, so I'm asking...

Is there any way that....when you post a reply, you NAME the deck you're "Enabling" in the TITLE ?????? That way I can PRETEND to know what's happening when I stop by???

**stumbles off "dumb*ss" box** :D
Agreed. I, too, have great difficulty following what decks people are responding to. It's a great idea, Stormdancer, to suggest people put the name of the deck(s) in the TITLE box! I'd be more inclinced to participate as well.

Perhaps the Mods could add this suggestion to the first post to get everyone on track?

Vesper

Touchstone

kabang said:
:bugeyed: Sold. Damn, you're good.

I'm so good, I enabled myself 25 times this year! But of all those decks, the Touchstone is the one I've been working with exclusively, since it arrived.