Pros and Cons Thread Enabling+De-enabling

herself

Silicon Dawn

The Tarot of the Silicon Dawn and the Llewellyn Tarot decks have both been on my wishlist for a while..thoughts on these?
The one notable con that I can think of for the SD is all those extra cards. I wonder if those would throw me off too much during a reading..

I've got the Llewellyn coming in the post shortly from the trade train! Good to read Le Fanu's comments :)

Re: the Silicon Dawn, here is my take:

Pros: quirky, pushes the boundaries, cards are small and wonderful to handle (very shufflable), good quality box set

Cons: I found the accompanying book hard to read (it was sort of ranty), the extra cards take away from what makes the traditional tarot structure so effective, in my hands I didn't enjoy the artwork as much as I thought I would. I also found the extra UV layer didn't really add anything to my readings, and as a result felt gimmicky.

shadowdancer

Re: the Silicon Dawn, here is my take:

Pros: quirky, pushes the boundaries, cards are small and wonderful to handle (very shufflable), good quality box set

Cons: I found the accompanying book hard to read (it was sort of ranty), the extra cards take away from what makes the traditional tarot structure so effective, in my hands I didn't enjoy the artwork as much as I thought I would. I also found the extra UV layer didn't really add anything to my readings, and as a result felt gimmicky.

A fair and balanced description. I too had it arrive recently, and used it in a couple of readings. One was a struggle (it really did not sing out) the other went more smoothly. Still not yet really made my mind up as in fairness, I want to read with it further to see if it will be a deck that over time be one that I resonate with. But your comments were appropriate and balanced. I have to say, I much prefer this thread to the regular enabling and de-enabling ones. It will help those on the fence gain a balanced understanding devoid of humour or hype.

Davina

Le Fanu

I´m *this* close to ordering the Bruegel Tarot (LoS). I love the down to earth images and colors. I will go to the de-enabling thread as well -and come to think of it maybe I shouldn´t have posted to this thread at all. :p
Pros; heaps of symbolism to really get to grips with, weird stuff that gives you lightning bolts of inspiration in a reading. And so atmospheric. The Swords (?) suit really makes you feel the sub-zero temperatures and romance of the Northern European medieval winter. In fact all the Minors have a real "wheel of the year" atmosphere. I know there's that weird card with the man whose feet have been cut off, which still makes me wince, but overall the deck is a real cracker. The best LoS "artist" deck of them all by far, I think, from a reading perspective. Of course I love the Klimt most of all, but that's in a different, "Golden" category.

Cons; none that I can think of. The multi-lingual titles, Greg has already mentioned in that other thread. It isn't explicitly RWS if that bothers you (doesn't me).. Genuinely can't think of anything else. If you like the images you'll like the deck.

Chiska

Bosch Tarot

I'd like to hear what folks think of the Bosch Tarot

vee

Bosch Tarot

I like the Bosch Tarot, don't love it. Do you like Bosch? It's definitely his style! Surreal and strange but somehow familiar. There are usually a lot of little things going on in most cards. Small details or characters hidden in the background, that kind of thing. Certainly enough to keep you revisiting them. There are a few cards though, particularly in the minors, that are a bit samey-samey. If you were really into the art I think it might not bother you as much.It has that LoS effect where most of the cards are RWSy and then a few are just "bwah?", which could be a pro or con, depending on your preference! It's not a deck I've spent a lot of time with. I just think it's a little uneven and not the most exciting. The LWB is intriguing, but so small. Maybe if a Bosch expert talked to me about it, or if I was willing to devote the time to doing an indepth study, I'd appreciate it more.

The crowned one

I'd like to hear what folks think of the Bosch Tarot

I have owned it twice, the problem with it is it just is not Bosch. It is quasi Bosch and I can not get past the black borders. It is slightly surreal and it is a blend of beautiful and interesting to look at. Worth a visit.

Asbestos Mango

Bosch Tarot

I have this deck and I love it.

Pros: Delightfully weird artwork, makes a great deck for intuitive readings, lightweight cardstock makes it easy to shuffle. Also, the little creatures and characters that populate this deck are quite delightful. And I think the Heirophant is gay.

Cons: Some of the cards, even after having them come up in several readings, leave me scratching my head. Also, I'm not crazy about the LWB. I frequently see things in the imagery that is just so other than what the LWB says, that I finally quit consulting the damn thing.

I don't know if you'd consider this a pro or a con, but it definitely does not follow the RWS system. I'm not familiar enough with the Marseilles system to say if it follows that, but the deck seems to be a thing unto itself, with its own ideas about what imagery should be on the cards and how those images should be interpreted.

Hemera

Bruegel

Pros; heaps of symbolism to really get to grips with, weird stuff that gives you lightning bolts of inspiration in a reading. And so atmospheric. The Swords (?) suit really makes you feel the sub-zero temperatures and romance of the Northern European medieval winter. In fact all the Minors have a real "wheel of the year" atmosphere. I know there's that weird card with the man whose feet have been cut off, which still makes me wince, but overall the deck is a real cracker.

Cons; none that I can think of. The multi-lingual titles, Greg has already mentioned in that other thread. It isn't explicitly RWS if that bothers you (doesn't me).. Genuinely can't think of anything else. If you like the images you'll like the deck.
I was already de-enabled in that other thread. And now.. I´m thinking again..Thanks a lot Le Fanu! :D
Hmm. I like symbolism.. And I like trimming decks...And my most favourite deck *ever* is the Ludy Lescot with that SBC (Stabbed Baby Card, 3/Swords). And it not being RWS doesnt bother me at all.
Im off to Alida to see more of the scans..

Le Fanu

I have owned it twice, the problem with it is it just is not Bosch. It is quasi Bosch and I can not get past the black borders.
ah, you need the Fabbri/Orbis edition with white borders...

Bhavana

Yes, but that deck doesn't really appeal to me. I want to know about the Golden Dawn Magical Tarot

No? I find it very charming. Especially the Queen of Swords...
Oh well, just wanted to point out the crab thing.