Pros and Cons Thread #2 - Enabling and De-Enabling

Pam O

I have put the Mary-El in my cart and taken it out so many times it's ridiculous. I love the artwork but that Hierophant...

Yea or Nay?

I have it. I NEVER use it... Will I let it go? I sure have been tempted to release it, but there are a couple cards I do like the art on a lot. So, will I ever use it? I don't know? I got it in trade here at AT because whoever owned it before me did not resonate either.

Maybe put up an ISO on the trading forum and see what options might come up that way?

conurelover

I have put the Mary-El in my cart and taken it out so many times it's ridiculous. I love the artwork but that Hierophant...

Yea or Nay?

Well, what about the Chariot card? Have you checked out the 10s? Have you seen the Pages or Queens? Take a peak at the Hierophant card discussion and put that back into your shopping cart. :)

AJ

Mary-El

I bought it finally because it leans more to thoth than rws.
I trimmed it (even the author has trimmed hers)
Used it. Used it some more.

In the end I couldn't get past the feeling I was rummaging in someone else's stuff.
It is far too personal to the artist/author to be of any use to me, it is long gone, happily, to another member here.

Curious Dragon

I'm on the fence about the Tarot Illuminati. I love the rich detail, but I'm not crazy about photorealism decks. Then aggression, I've never had a deck that was photo realistic, so I might feel differently if I saw it in person, and the deck looks so sumptuous.

Can anyone help me here? I get the feeling this is a love it or hate it kind of deck.

magpie9

it is wonderfully beautiful. Photo realism? Yes and No...the art is too fantastic to make it feel realistic. If it's realistic, it's in another, more beautiful and mysterious reality. If you stay on the fence, you could get the App for a really good look at it.
I don't use mine often, but when I do, it reads well.

mah jong

I'm not a photo collage deck fan generally speaking, but I enjoy my Tarot Illuminati deck. The photo aspect of it is used like a paint brush. It is a tool to produce the art rather than the end product, if that makes any sense. It feels more illustrated to me because it has, to me, a mixed media look to it. It's a busy, bright deck. It is so busy that it almost hums. It reads well. It is a deck that likes to talk a lot.

Curious Dragon

Thanks, you two. I've pretty much made up my mind to get it when I put a Chapters order in later this week. :) Now it's just a question of whether or not to get the ebook as well...

mah jong

I've never bought an e-deck or e-book before so if you do get the e-book, post a review somewhere for us tech dinosaurs.

cardwitch

Did you see the recent review on Marseille Cat Tarot? I just noticed it. This review is inspiring me to go try a reading with these cards... :)
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/marseille-cat-tarot/review.shtml

Oh, thank you, I did read that review. It seemed to confirm everything I already suspected--it's a cute deck, but "tainted" :)D) with touches of the RWS. I'll probably still get it anyway, once I've recovered from Christmas-induced bank account depletion.

Curious Dragon

I've never bought an e-deck or e-book before so if you do get the e-book, post a review somewhere for us tech dinosaurs.

There's already one here, actually: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/complete-guide-to-tarot-illuminati/

(The best thing about an e-book reader is the ability to access online libraries like the Ontario Library Services Consortium which has over 42000 e-books and I don't know how many audio books. They only have one tarot book, though. :()