Mermaid Tarot by Dame Darcy

Laura Borealis

Does anyone here have this Mermaid Tarot? Have any impressions to share?

Etsy link
Artist's site

The artist seems to be a creative sort who has published comics, other books, recorded music, makes art dolls, etc. The deck looks to be watercolor and ink in a charming illustrative style. She's a local artist for me, so I have half a mind to buy one of her decks. Just wondered if anyone here has it...

Maan

I just got the deck. First impression is pretty good. The cards have a nice coating and look aged. Old yellowed paper...And some of the people depicted look like old hollywood style movie stars .The pictures are cute but not overly and are pretty much a rider waite smith clone. The deck feels friendly and quirky. And while its cute it does not shy away from the bad.

The backs are very bold and bright,a big contrast to the faded colours on the front.
They come sealed in plastic put in a black velvet bag...the back has a weird coating thing going on but is still nice.

I am happy with my purchase. I doubt it will be my to go to deck but i will certainly use it

Laura Borealis

Thanks Maan :)

desertrat

I don't really have anything to add to what Maan has already said, other than I like mine. And the artist is super nice. My deck arrived in plastic wrap, but was all jacked up - numerous duplicates and missing cards. When I informed Dame Darcy about it she immediately sent me a replacement deck that she had personally gone through to ensure completeness. I was impressed.

As far as the deck goes, Laura, you might feel "meh" about it. It doesn't strike me as your cup of tea.

Laura Borealis

You're right, it's not the kind of thing I usually go for, but there's something about it I like... maybe the pirate ship has something to do with it ;) But also, she lives right here in my city. So it's supporting a local artist. I'm going to think about it for a few days, though.

Thanks desertrat :)

Citrin

I have to bump this thread because I am IN LOVE with this freaking deck!

After reading Benebell Wen's review of this deck (here: http://benebellwen.com/2014/12/13/dame-darcys-mermaid-tarot-deck-review/ ) I felt like I had to have it! Shipping it from the US to Sweden made the price a little hefty, but ya know, love has no limits right? ;) I was just grateful she actually shipped worldwide...

So I received it two days ago and it's stunning! Amazing! Gorgeous! Usually when I receive a deck I find there's always at least one detail that bothers me a little? It might be one card I feel could've been better, or the size of the borders, or the font, you know there's just always that one thing kind of making me go "oh..." but with this deck - NO, IT'S PERFECT! The art, the cardstock, the colors...

I'm surprised there hasn't been more buzz about it on AT, but maybe it's because it's not published by those big companies Llewelyn, LoScarabeo etc? Is it the price? Or am I blindly in love not understanding how everyone else cannot be in love also!? :D

I haven't had the time to read with the deck yet, I swear I will die if it's one of those "unreadable" ones for me... But I really doubt I'll be disappointed. :) Has anyone here used it for readings? How do you find it?

Anyone else a huuuuge fan? Haha...

Nina*

Huge fan? Yes!!

But I haven't had time to really use it yet. Can't wait to hear what you think. :)

agviz

To quote myself in another post, "Love at first sight. The Mermaid deck is an absolute delight of a tarot and one of the most charming I've seen. The drawings are playful and fanciful, and the colors have a muted, nostalgic feel. There's a child-like expressiveness to the artwork, yet there's a well balanced aesthetic and mature understanding of tarot in place. I instantly connected with this deck and it will no doubt be a whale of a tale to read with."

It's a very watery deck so it ought to be good for love readings, right? Well I just did a reading about my love life and I'm very excited about the answer... the Lovers and the Queen of Cups - oh joy! My ship has arrived! (Couldn't resist the seafaring pun.) Also some spot on truths about myself. The Mermaid Tarot is a gem.

BTW, I love that Queen of Cups. She's a cutie. ;)

agviz

You're right, it's not the kind of thing I usually go for, but there's something about it I like... maybe the pirate ship has something to do with it ;) But also, she lives right here in my city. So it's supporting a local artist. I'm going to think about it for a few days, though.

Thanks desertrat :)

Laura, did you get it yet? You really ought to.

Laura Borealis

Not yet, but I will. Especially after all the glowing reviews - and seeing all the pics in the review that Citrin linked! But I hope I get the version with the narrow borders. I like it much better.