The Victorian Romantic Tarot: It's Here!!

firemaiden

OMG - after all that waiting for the Victorian Romantic Tarot ... (which I've been insisting is the deck to end all decks)... it's finally here!!!!

I'm so happy to finally have this lovely deck in my hands. The colours do glow! Many of the cards are really exquisite. I think my favorite cards are still the blue cards - the Star, the Moon, and the Ace of Cups. The colours also are just delicious on the green cards - the Two of Cups, the Nine of Pentacles and the Three of wands. I would like to walk into the picture, and stay a while.

I'm falling in love with the six of swords too, it has such depth. The torches burning in the boat are so real you can almost hear them crackling, I love how they subltly light up the red cloth at the back of the boat (a shelter? it almost gives the look of a theater); light against dark is echoed in the colours of dawn (or sunset?) in the dark sky and on the water. There is a feeling simultaneously of deep peace, facing the darkness, but nevertheless keeping a bright inner light burning. Wow, what a card!!

There are cards which are also exquisite for their relative lack of colour - The Ten of Swords, the Tower card, the Six of Cups, the Ten of Wands and the Hermit are more gently coloured to wonderful effect. The sea-foam woman in that Ten of Swords is bone-chilling. The snowy rooftops in the Six of Cups look dim and distant the way memory is dim and distant.

I think the nine of swords is pretty spooky too - the somnambulant woman looks as pale and brittle as a china doll. :eek:

Owl Song

firemaiden, I loved reading your initial reaction to the VRT. Thanks for sharing and congragulations on having your deck in hand! I am so excited about this one. I especially liked your description of the woman in the 9 of Swords. I'm sure there are going to be many follow-ups as people receive their decks.

Can't wait!

Aries2103

I'm jealous! I ordered the Gold edition, so I guess I'll have to wait for at least a week!
Aries

Genna

Loved reading about your first impressions, firemaiden! I know I´m going to fall in love with this deck.

Aries2103

Congratulations on your new deck, firemaiden, from a new member. I don't want to appear too self-centered with my previous post! Please keep giving your first impressions.
Aries

Aura Wolf

Ah, wonderful! And if you're in Cali, that means mine will arrive to Idaho soon :)

baba-prague

Today we pack all day - with Vassilisa, the woman we know who is coming to help - isn't that a great name - and she is our Fairytale Page of Wands, so it's almost absurdly appropriate!

Tomorrow will be the big post office journey. We hope to get most sent off tomorrow but may not quite manage it. Some bags arrive today but most not until tomorrow afternoon, so some parcels that include bags may well go out Monday. However, I'm convinced that the post office here sometimes leave Friday parcels until Monday in any case, so I doubt it will make much difference!

Sulis

Firemaiden did you get the regular edition?

I'm on the fence about whether to order this deck as I'm working solely with my Sheridan-Douglas a the moment. If and when (more likely when) I do order it, I think it will be the regular edition that I'll get.

I think it may just be a very nice Yule gift to myself (or I'll get my hubby to order it). I don't want to get it and leave it languishing in a drawer so I'll probably wait a few months.

It looks lovely :)

HearthCricket

Oh, I am so jealous! I want my decks! It sound glorious!

baba-prague

It is MAD here. I cannot tell you! But we are packing and packing and packing. And enjoying!