The Victorian Romantic Tarot: It's Here!!

Aura Wolf

Oh my...

Well I'm certainly going to write my first impressions in this thread! That's what it's for.

So unfortunately I didn't get the gold kit either (little pricey for me at the time), and I have to admit I love the way the gold looks on the bookmarks that came along with my regular kit. But I MUST say, even without the gold, these cards are exquisite! Though of course, I expected no less from Karen and Alex.

Of course, each of these cards deserves to have a page written on it, but since I don't have all day, I'll go through a few of my favourites...

The Fool really jumps out to me with those colours, the feeling of humiliation I get from it, and the overall sense of, well...fun that just leaps from it at the same time.

The Empress is so bright and cheery, so wonderfully done to me, with the little cherubs and doves. I just love a good Empress card.

For once the Hierophant conveys what it should! What a great image.

The innocence in the Lovers of course, with that little something unspoken...

The colours in Justice, the concept, the beauty...

The Devil is such a nice change from Pan or the demon in horns and those chains...just what I like to see in a card that comes up for me more often than not lately..

The Tower is chilling! And the Star...almost indescribable...

The Sun reminds me of the Empress card in all its lighthearted fun and flowers...what more could you ask for?

Judgement is like a Bible illustration, and I love that about it...and the World is just so unique and full of life...

And that's just the majors! The minors are some of my favourites, I must say...I can't even write on all the ones I love...

The colours in the Two of Wands, and the Three is so vibrant, it must be one of my absolute favourites...the Six just fits so well, and the Eight of Wands...almost leaves me speechless. I have to love the colours on the Queen of Wands, her exuberance and charisma.

Then the Cups...oh my that Ace is breathtaking, the image in the Four of Cups is splendid, and the Six is so perfect, the colours, the children, the city is like a painting...the Page is so wonderful in all his wistfulness...

The Ace of Swords is so lovely and fantastical, the colours in the Two are so powerful...where in the Three of Cups, it is the emotion that is powerful...the Five makes me want to cry, and the colours in the Six, it really is so real...the Ten is so unique and chilling and you just can't save yourself from that Queen...she is as stone-cold as those mountains behind her...

The Six of Pentacles reminds me of an old-fashioned novel or film I can't remember, it's somehow so real to me...I love the tones in the Eight, and the Knight is almost ethereal in its air and those muted tones, like a moment frozen in time or a breath or a sigh...the Queen is so rich in costume and personality and you just can't tell if she's more vain or more worldly...

My apologies for rambling on, but what else can I do? I can't wait to sit down with the cards and the book and hopefully do them some justice.

firemaiden

Oh Star Spirit, you made my day :)

It was so wonderful reading your impressions. Please do write more! Yes, I agree, isn't the Devil a refreshing twist. I do seem to get this card very often too. I wonder why ;)

Sammie

Mine's here, too!

My Victorian Romantic came on Saturday. I just got the regular version, not the gold. It is so lovely and looks so golden without the added gold. Actually, I think I like it better - the two bookmarks that came with the gold on them are nice but I really do like the deck without gold.

The cards are BEAUTIFUL - have gone through them quickly, twice. Now I'm going through them one by one very slowly and reading the book about each card. Gosh, what an insightful and lovely deck. I want to finish reading the book before doing a reading with it. For some reason, I like to savor decks first before trying reading with them.

If you haven't purchased this deck - DO IT!! I'm so pleased and happy with mine.

Little Baron

Lovely to read your response.

Some of the cards are very beautiful, of course. But at the moment, I have to say that I am having a bit of trouble bonding with it. I can't quite put my finger on why.

LB

baba-prague

Give it a little time. But not every deck will work for everyone - and sometimes it's just that the time isn't quite right.

As for Gold v not-Gold, I think I am a bit in love with the gold partly because it's the first time we've done this. But I do also like the different look - and arguably more authentically antique - look of the cards without gold.
Er, I may actually contradict myself now I come to think of it - one reason we thought of the gold overlays is that we came across some pictures that used this technique in the original etchings - most notably the Two of Swords original picture.

Well, some will prefer one, some another - which is good really :)

robinchun

I have the standard but am going to order the gold,two reasons..1.I love it and want more! 2.I want the journal!
Last night I went through the deck just 'soaking' in the splendour, today while about my work the images of the deck kept coming into my mind,without thinking about them,notably,2 cups..4 cups..queen pentacles..magician..world..3 pentacles.Just amazing.
Robin

baba-prague

Star Spirit said:
Well I'm certainly going to write my first impressions in this thread! That's what it's for.

By the way, I just don't quite know yet how to respond to this. Well perhaps I shouldn't, but just let others do the responding instead. I get a bit self-conscious in a strange way. Remember that the deck is just quietly here for months and it feels quite intimate (even though it's on the web) and then suddenly it's off on its journeys and establishing itself as a thing very independent from us. I love hearing impressions/ideas/how it's being used. But it makes me a bit tongue tied (or as tongue tied as an Irish woman ever gets!)

Jewel

Well I am going to have to wait until X-mas to post my first impressions *LOL*. I have ordered the Gold VR, but it will be an X-mas gift from my spousal unit, so I am under strict orders to hand it to him as soon as it comes in. He is not even going to let me drool over the box *LOL*.

Aura Wolf

baba-prague said:
By the way, I just don't quite know yet how to respond to this. Well perhaps I shouldn't, but just let others do the responding instead. I get a bit self-conscious in a strange way. Remember that the deck is just quietly here for months and it feels quite intimate (even though it's on the web) and then suddenly it's off on its journeys and establishing itself as a thing very independent from us. I love hearing impressions/ideas/how it's being used. But it makes me a bit tongue tied (or as tongue tied as an Irish woman ever gets!)

I know exactly what you mean. It's the same thing a songwriter or a poet *ahem* or an artist goes through when they first complete something. It is intimate, it is personal, it is perfect in the way that it is so connected to everything around them and yet at the same time they are the only ones who know its splendor. When you let it out into the world it may be praised but it still loses that purity of the first moment it was finished and you had it all to yourself. But that is the plight of any artist of any kind, I suppose. Me? I would just try to be happy that it brings so much light to people's lives and remember that even though it is not solely yours anymore, the meaning you attach to it will be.

firemaiden

Feel free to just come on in and hang out, Baba. There's a special table at the back for the creators, they can hide under it when tired of fielding questions. You could answer one for me, right now, though - the Persian Rug - in the 4 of Pentacles - that was not in the original lithograph, I can see - where did it come from, and were they strawberries or pomegranates or red hand-grenades? (cherry bombs?)