A new De-enabling thread for 2008

ilweran

WolfSpirit said:
The Margarete Petersen...
The Empress card has the image of a giant vagina with pointy teeth :bugeyed:

I could probably live with that. I was ok with the Atargatis (I think that's right) card in the Barbara Walker deck.

The minors are so abstract, you will need a lot of serious work with this deck before they make sense.

I just liked the pretty pictures :D Wasn't really thinking of using this one as a tarot deck.

I do want to see these disturbing cards to see if they put me off, but I must stick to the avoiding temptation idea.

morticia monroe

WolfSpirit said:
The Margarete Petersen...
The Empress card has the image of a giant vagina with pointy teeth :bugeyed:

I didn't want it in the first place,,,but now I REALLY don't. Good job.

gregory

ilweran said:
So while looking into the Vision Quest, and being pretty much de-enabled, I found myself looking at the Margarete Petersen Tarot. I know all about the borders and the grey not being so nice, what else is there that could put me off?
The grey borders really are crap. But the pix are so abstract they aren't even that pretty..... My grandson has done some work that looks a lot like them - and now he is 6 going on 7, he does a lot better.

*ps do we have to tell the truth in this thread cos if not, I could say a whole lot more..... })*

Mariana

gregory said:
But the pix are so abstract they aren't even that pretty..... My grandson has done some work that looks a lot like them - and now he is 6 going on 7, he does a lot better.[/size]

Well, actually the Margarete Petersen is my favourite deck, I love the abstraction and the strong archetypal feeling of the Empress card. But then I'm this really weird and abstract person anyway. I don't think this deck would be right for most people. It really has to be up your alley, or it will disappoint you. It just may be one of those love or hate it decks. So don't only look at the colours - if you just want abstract art, I'm sure there are cheaper options like buying postcards. I'd say, if you're not someone who reads well with abstract decks, then don't try the Margarete Petersen.

ETA: and yes, the borders are ugly and make the cards just plain huge. I trimmed mine, but then you lose the titles and that only makes the abstraction worse...

Alta

Or, you could find a copy with the aubergine borders.... not too difficult.

The deck is very abstract, I think the big de-enabling factor is: can you work with a deck that is almost completely abstract?

ilweran

Marion said:
The deck is very abstract, I think the big de-enabling factor is: can you work with a deck that is almost completely abstract?

I wasn't thinking of using it as a tarot really. I did go look at the pics on taroteca. I might spend some more time looking at them and see what happens. Either I'll end up glad I didn't spend the money, or I'll end up sure that I want them.

I think that's two successful de-enablings. I'm not buying either yet and might not!

Acacia

Hey! I was just de-enabled by proxy. Didn't even know that could happen.

I came here to post about the Margarete Petersen deck, and find you all busy de-enabling the deck. That should hold me for a month or so...

magpie9

Another thing about the Petersen deck--it looks much better in scans than in person. That lumenious quality is just not there.

AJ

I've never looked at this thread before, it is refreshing to see a place where it is ok to not tiptoe.

I've now been looking in the archives for the 2007 thread and am coming up blank. Can anyone post a link for me?
thanks so much.