Deirdre of the Sorrows Tarot

6 Haunted Days

I'm not using the book either. It's too basic and "set in stone" type of Tarot book. Also quite a few of the meanings for certain cards I don't agree with, like Sulis mentioned, the 8 of Wands. If you're at all farmiliar with the cards it's probably best to just work with the cards, they'll tell you volumes :)

shadowdancer

They certainly do. I have done 5 / 6 readings now with this deck and the way it seems to link into the theme and emotion of what is happening is way beyond any of my other decks.

And with regards the card imagery I have had one particular card appear 3 times, yet each time it has shown itself, I have picked up something different each time. And each time it has hit it on the nose. There is so much by way of story telling ability in the cards I just don't feel they are set in stone, but I do take on board any concerns regarding how it may come across in the book. I have read it through and it just allows me to see things I may not have previously seen (if that makes sense)

Definitely not a deck for everyone. Others it may take a while to grow on. Others it may feel as comfortable as your favourite fireside slippers right from the word go.

That is the case with all decks which is why I really love this world of tarot!

Davina

firefrost

I got my deck!

It arrived this morning and so far so good, I've just had time for a quick check, so watch this space for more thoughts...

I got a nice email as well, and a couple of things to clear up...

In my previous post, I said

***I've chosen to have my deck personalised. Lol...I almost asked her to sign it anyway, but thought that a bit cheeky.***

I actually meant the book signed and personalised and not the deck.

I think I panicked Dierdrie a bit there, as she thought I wanted the deck signing which she didn't want to do for fear of spoiling it so she's very kindly put a blank card in my book and put a message on there as well.

Thank you for this, Dierdrie and my apologies for not being clear enough in the first place.

She also wants to put our minds as ease about the longevity of the cardstock.

Quote:

I also read on the forum questions about the longevity of the card stock. I've been using mine for over six months on a daily basis and although the edges are not as white as they were when new, the cards are as fresh as day one. The linen stock paper is very expensive and designed to last. The cards have been varnished to preserve the print but not plasticized like playing cards down the pub.

Unquote

Hope that's cleared up a couple of niggles any of you had.

Thanks again for your help and input, Dierdrie.

Hils :)

shadowdancer

Excellent!

Yes my book was also personalised which is a very nice touch.

Keep us updated as to how you find the deck once you have had time to bond with it etc.

I promise though you will love shuffling it. The card stock just feels wonderful in your hands

Davina

firefrost

Yes, they do shuffle lovely, and they are just the right size for me to handle. Far too many decks these days are made much too large!

They're difficult to fan, though!

I always spread my new decks wide on my table for a good shuffle round but these being linen would have nothing to do with that!

Anyway, I got there in the end.

I've just christened them in thorhammer's 'Guess where it is' thread so we'll see!

Up to now, my only argument is with the eight of wands - this card to me talks of news, speed and flight, not love.

I am learning to read intuitively though, so it may not be such a problem.

shadowdancer

Thanks for your thoughts again firefrost.

Re your concerns about the book description for the 8 wands, I think you will find Deirdre would not want anyone to see her interpretations as being set in stone etc. She really does believe in using your own instinct and judgement and has really produced the book as a guide for beginners. I know I can still get something out of the book, but it is only occasionally used alongside what I feel I should be using as an interpretation for any given card or reading and not instead of, if that makes sense?

Good luck with this deck and I look forward to hearing any future thoughts you have about it.

Davina

6 Haunted Days

I love the 8 of Wands, I think it conveys a lot of the different meanings well. The fast moving river, the couple crossing the bridge headed somwhere. It still conveys quickness, speed and falling in love to me. I love that it shows something different than the extremely tired wands flying through the sky.

firefrost

Hmm...well...imho -

If the river was fast moving, the guy in the boat would be holding onto the bank, to keep the boat from flowing away with it. The boat's not moving. it's not even pulling away tight on the rope.

And the couple on the bridge are standing still, just taking in the view. They're idly watching the boatment prepare for their journey, not walking across it to anywhere as far as I can see.

I can't say that I particularly want to see eight wands flying through the sky - but nevertheless, I revert back to my original comment about what this eight means to me, and this image doesn't convey it.

If anything it puts me in mind of an RWS Ten of Cups.

But, as I say, this is all just my humble opinion.

shadowdancer - I hear you about Dierdrie and I agree :) Hahaha...won't it be funny if I get it in readings to do with affairs of the heart...? I'll let you know!

Sulis

firefrost said:
Hmm...well...imho -

If the river was fast moving, the guy in the boat would be holding onto the bank, to keep the boat from flowing away with it. The boat's not moving. it's not even pulling away tight on the rope.

And the couple on the bridge are standing still, just taking in the view. They're idly watching the boatment prepare for their journey, not walking across it to anywhere as far as I can see.

I can't say that I particularly want to see eight wands flying through the sky - but nevertheless, I revert back to my original comment about what this eight means to me, and this image doesn't convey it.

If anything it puts me in mind of an RWS Ten of Cups.

But, as I say, this is all just my humble opinion.

shadowdancer - I hear you about Dierdrie and I agree :) Hahaha...won't it be funny if I get it in readings to do with affairs of the heart...? I'll let you know!

Firefrost I'm with you completely about this card and a few others too.
Some of the cards are gorgeous but there are some that I simply don't like, The Tower springs to mind instantly and I really don't like the guy on the 2 of Pentacles at all.

I do like the deck but I really don't think it's for me. If it had been my 'perfect deck' I could have got around Justice not being number 8 but it's not my perfect deck so that's another thing that's bothering me about it.

I think I'll be trading this deck (so long as no-one minds the fact that the book has been signed and dedicated to me)...
I just don't think it's a deck I'll be working with and with decks like this one that have obviously been a labour of love for someone, I'd prefer it was with someone who will love it.

6 Haunted Days

Ah well, I guess I have an active and vivid imagination as the image is quite alive and moving for me, just caught in a snapshot. She mentions in the description the river is fast flowing and it certainly looks it with the shading etc. I like how the bridge conveys a sense of secure passage over the fast-moving water. Like you'll be safe and in control as in events in your life speed up and get a bit crazy.