What's the best edition of the Bohemian Gothic Tarot and why?

FLizarraga

I have only the much reviled second edition, which came with some Pewter ed cards. It is absolutely wonderful. The cardstock is --as greatdane aptly describes it-- nice and heavy and crunchy. If this is the worst one, then the others must be marvelous beyond belief. :bugeyed:

Mine is "pewterized" --that is, I very carefully edged the cards with metallic silver. The new edges are less shiny than the Pewter ones --which look like liquid moonlight--, but I find they match the muted colors of the deck much better.

Rhinemaiden

Which is the best? Tough call! I have first, second, third (reg & mini) and silver... lacking the pewter.

I like the art in the first, but the visibility in the third (first and second are too dark, many details are lost in the murk); I'm using the silver now, it's like looking at moonlight in a martini.

The Happy Squirrel

Oooh can we see how this 'silver' looks like....?
I can't seem to find pictures of them anywhere and if there were you really can't see the effect at all....

Alta

It doesn't scan or photograph easily. It is a silver overlay on parts of the images on each card, generally areas that would light highlighted, that is normally lit or shiny. Like ripples on water, a sword, areas of the card that are emphasized by light.

FLizarraga

I have only the much reviled second edition, which came with some Pewter ed cards. It is absolutely wonderful. The cardstock is --as greatdane aptly describes it-- nice and heavy and crunchy. If this is the worst one, then the others must be marvelous beyond belief. :bugeyed:

Mine is "pewterized" --that is, I very carefully edged the cards with metallic silver. The new edges are less shiny than the Pewter ones --which look like liquid moonlight--, but I find they match the muted colors of the deck much better.

Almost a year later, I have seen and owned all editions except the Silver, and I must say, Gulliver, that's a tough call to make. Each one has its unique virtues.

Contrary to a lot of people, apparently, I don't have a problem with any of the Lovers' cards. But my favorite Lovers card is still that of the first edition. (Is she a he? Is she a vampire? Is she, in fact, the vampire, and not the man who is seductively kissing her neck?) Indeed, as far as imagery, lighting, atmosphere, and sheer evocative power, the first edition is my personal favorite. Like my dear greatdane puts it, the others are basically gilding the lily.

Now, as far as cardstock goes, the third is probably the best of all. It's Goldilocks cardstock: not too thin, not too thick; not too laminated, not too nude; not too heavy, not too flimsy. However, I love the thick crunchiness of the 2nd ed, and the silky feel of the first. Like I said, tough call.

And then you have the Pewter, which is identical in every detail to the regular 2nd ed (down to the crunchy cardstock) except for its wonderfully luxurious pewter edges. And also the mini --the imagery of the 3rd edition as seen through a telescope, nice and nitid, and those intricately silver-foiled backs. You shuffle it, and you see glimpses of light between your fingers. I read with it at a New Year's Eve party, and everybody was in awe of the cards. (Including me.)

When all is said and done, though, I'd vote for the Silver ed sight unseen. Yes, it's probably another case of gilding the lily --almost literally. But I close my eyes, and can almost picture what those silvery highlights can do to those images. Almost. Such elusive play of light and shadow, enhancing the very elusiveness of the first ed... It has to be perfection. It has to be.

G6

Only if you discussed bouquet...

I have the 1st, 2nd, Pewter, 3rd Regular, and 3rd Mini. Still searching for a Silver! Of those, I really like them all for different reasons. But I really like the heavy cardstock of the 2nd. But to just shuffle and handle I really like the Mini! It fits my hands so nicely.

The images of the 2nd are softer than those of the 3rd, but not as bright.

Is the 3rd mini a true mini or more like pocket size? I am considering because I prefer pocket size and this is the only "dark" deck I like that seems to come in that size. Also, in another post, someone complained about chipping with the mini. How have you found the quality? Sorry for all the Q's. It's a more expensive deck, so I want to make sure before I purchase. :) Thanks!

Nica

The 3rd edition has very good card stock, the images are bright and it feels like this deck is finally THERE. The only thing I don't like about it is the card backs. Beautiful as they are, I miss the skulls.

2nd Edition has my favorite card backs. The card stock feels good to the touch, but is harder to shuffle. Images are a little darker, and has the lovely pewter edges. My favorite version, but least used one.

1st Edition Silver belongs in a museum. It's definitely a collector's edition. It's hauntingly beautiful and makes you feel as if you commune with spirit when you read with it. I love it very much, and try to remember it's meant to be used when I handle it. It's so precious that I don't want to wear it down with use, but that is what it was made to do.

It all depends on preference. I use 3rd Edition the most because of the card stock. Since it is still available, if something were to happen to it, I could get another.

My favorite is the 2nd edition, but I think 3rd and 1s editions are likely better for use.

MoonGypsy

1st Edition--best cardstock and my very favorite BG images

Silver LE -- Best ever effects for moonlit eery ambiance
and outstanding cardstock. Nica is right--it is museum quality, there has never ever
been one to compare to it, IMHO.

All the first editions shuffle just like butter.

And contrary to what some of my dear friends have said--the 3rd edition cardstock is by far
my least favorite, as it is a bit slick to my touch and doesn't have that early Baba "silkiness" and "whippi-ness" that we
early Baba deck aficionados came to love so much. :love: That was/is the special cardstock of the first edition decks...
The 2nd edition does have a "crunchiness" or stiffer feel...but still is more matte without the 3rd's slick feeling.

The Happy Squirrel

_________

Quester

I love the 3rd Edition because of the satiny feel in my hands as I shuffle. I agree that The Silver is in a league all it's own. I have it, but don't read with it as I know it can't be replaced if something were to happen to it. It is a perfect deck!!