The Jungian Tarot

Stark Raven

If I remember when I get home tonight, I'll compare the two versions I have. It's possible you have the Aurelius version in a Urania box. IIRC, there's a noticeable height difference between the two decks when stacked next to one another.

That would be unlikely though Rodney, as it fits the box it's in perfectly. Still, feel free to tell us what yours is like, that would be appreciated - if you remember that is :)

rwcarter

I went right to my Urania version of the deck, but (grumble, grumble, grumble) do you think I can find my Aurelius printing of the deck? :mad:

My Urania printing is in a clamshell case. I guess I can see your "fine coat of varnish" comment about the cards. They're smooth, but they're not silky smooth. The stack of cards is ~25mm or ~1 inch high. Until I can find my other deck, that's all the info I have.

Rodney

Stark Raven

I went right to my Urania version of the deck, but (grumble, grumble, grumble) do you think I can find my Aurelius printing of the deck? :mad:

My Urania printing is in a clamshell case. I guess I can see your "fine coat of varnish" comment about the cards. They're smooth, but they're not silky smooth. The stack of cards is ~25mm or ~1 inch high. Until I can find my other deck, that's all the info I have.

Rodney

Thanks Rodney, appreciated. So you see the fine varnish too.

Stark Raven

Well as it turned out, I grew to love the deck despite this issue. But in no time the finish wore off the faces completely. For that reason I am selling it.

The backs weren't worn at all. I will have to keep my eyes open for a different printing.

delizt

The Jungian deck was one of the first decks I ever purchased, my box says published 1989 by Urania Verlags, AG

It's got the matte, silky finish and has stood up to years of wear, it came in a tuck box and I bought the book separately, no clamshell

ISBN 3-908647-13-4

Stark Raven

The Jungian deck was one of the first decks I ever purchased, my box says published 1989 by Urania Verlags, AG

It's got the matte, silky finish and has stood up to years of wear, it came in a tuck box and I bought the book separately, no clamshell

ISBN 3-908647-13-4

It took me a while to figure out what happened to this deck. As of last night I finally saw that the problem wasn't the deck, it was something I did. When I get a new deck and it's glossy, or somewhat glossy and therefore sticky (this one was fairly glossy); I brush it with fanning powder to lose the stickiness. I realized last night that after the powder wore off, the grittiness was also gone. So in essence, printer's varnish plus fanning powder is a bad combination.

I shall try to commit this to memory. Sad, I loved that deck. I have it for sale, I wish there was a way to protect it now that much of the varnish is gone. Then I'd keep it.

PS - re delitz, I have the same one you do. Mine is not matte though.

Freddie

I have seen new copies of this deck in the last three occult book stores I have been in. Maybe it is making a comeback.

Freddie

Stark Raven

I am not surprised if it does make a comeback. It is by far one of the most evocative decks I have. Top three. Magickal.

treedog

pips--colors and symbols

I recently purchased the Marcus Aurelius Press version of the Jungian Tarot. I really like both the look AND feel of the deck: the card thickness, finish and size. And the colors are great for me, somewhat saturated but not at all Disney.

And oh those pips... I try to bring my intellectual understanding to the cards (not a bad thing), but the non-narrative symbols keep saying, "Let go, sink deeper, I have gifts for you in your unconscious".

I suspect, though I'm not at all sure, that the subtle color changes in the pips are correspondant with the Golden Dawn color scheme--different colors for each sephera (number) in each world (element). Anyone have ideas or information about this?

theboomz

Waiting for the postwoman to bring mine.
I am worried about the cards not having labels on them, and the boring pip cards.
I didn't buy the book at the same time, so that's for a later date.
I'll search the forum for where people have discussed this deck, I hope I can find something.
The first deck I used had nothing extra on the pip cards, and I was glad when a deck arrived that had traditional symbolism on those cards.