Thoth 2005 by Urania Verlag

Rusty Neon

I guess my concern was that the announcement doesn't indicate in what year that re-photographing was done. Thus, if they used the AG Muller negatives, it would still legitimately be a re-photographing, i.e., vis-à-vis the Weiser and Llewellyn images. As well, I had heard that the Warburg Institute was reluctant to allow access in recent year.

Ironically, if there was damage to the paintings and/or the restoration wasn't well done, the AG Muller deck images might, in some aspects, be better than the Urania deck images. :)

It's interesting about the 200-deck Urania limited edition, if the numbers are actually kept to 200 and there are no additional issuances. For the relatively small increment in price over the standard Urania deck in absolute dollar terms, this could be an excellent opportunity for those seeking rareties. One day this could similate (to a smaller degree) the rarity of the Sangreal one-colour 200-deck vintage of the Thoth cards.

Fulgour

Has anyone seen this yet? I'm sure it's available.
Somerville apparently has it, but it's hard to tell.

Lillie

what/who is Somerville?

Lillie

Cheers.

As you say, it's hard to tell!

fyreflye

The listing at Somerville clearly states that the page hasn't been updated since 2002.
Urania Verlag is the new corporate name of A G Müller; they are not two different companies.
According to Amazon.de neither deck has yet been published.

Ukkonen

News from the Warburg Institute & Urania Verlag

Hi there and greetings from Finland! I've been working all night so please exuse me for all the misspellings etc...and I'm not very good with this modern technology called computers, so I don't know how all this will turn out. Anyway, I noticed that there's been discussion on the Thoth deck originals so I thought to share my news: I visited the Warburg Institute in last November, and met professor Jill Kraye there (who's the head librarian currently). My purpose was to see the originals by lady Harris. Unfortunately, as it turned out, the paintings had begun to show signs of deterioration some time ago, so it is true that they are currently kept in a controlled environment waiting to undergo a restoration. This is most likely going to be an expensive project, and Ms. Kraye expressed her concern for this fact. Currently the paintings are closed for public viewing. I was informed that representatives of AGMüller had been in the Institute to photograph the originals (with the "finest equipment on the market" ;-), and this took place before the deterioration began.

Professor Kraye advised me to contact AGMüller to find out what was the situation of the project. I got a reply from the sales export where I was informed that the company is closely working with O.T.O. "to get the best possible result", and that german and english editions would be ready to go on the market in 3 to 4 months. I'm anxiously waiting to see the result, but I'm also a bit concerned with the fonts on the cards. The previous edition has it in the style of "Times new roman" on the cards, which I don't think is very appealing. So hopefully they have this time preserved Frieda's precious handwriting ;-) Well, I hope this information was helpful to some of you, and looking forward to discuss with you in the future!

Zephyros

Wow, 3 or 4 months? Thats great! Any new Thoth is certainly going on my wishlist. But I thout that restorations of this type could take years, then how come its so short a time for them to be on the market?

prudence

closarexpa, I think he means that Mueller took the photos before the deterioration, and those are the ones being used for this new deck? I think.
astrid

HOLMES

i missed this thread eheh

i only found it through a search engine for oto toth agm deck.

i would have to see scans of this version.
if the detoriations started years ago, then it is clear that they are from the negatives done previously.
however they are redone digitaly which makes wonder from that magician picture on the cover of the box that we are not almost looking at a radiant toth version ??

i was looking for an oto toth box today for that is far superior then the one by us games, and the one that i have also from agm in my memory.
and so my question are this.

the english edition? that makes me think that it won't be just 200 decks and will go out world wide
do you think.
please whoever get this deck, scan it and compare it to the others .