Ancient Egyptian - General Discussion

rwcarter

Now that I've posted on and done my initial study on all the cards in the deck, I find that there are still cards that I don't understand/that don't speak to me, etc. Since I've exhausted the study of the symbology in the cards, I decided to look at groups of cards from a Golden Dawn astrological perspective in the hopes that will shed some light on those trouble cards.

I've gotten the go-ahead from Sulis and will begin posting my observations on the links between the cards in individual threads containing the Major Arcana associated with a particular zodiac sign, the Major Arcana related to the ruler of that zodiac sign, the decan associated with the zodiac sign and the court card associated with that decan.

Also, I'm starting a general discussion thread for this deck because there isn't one.

Rodney

teomat

Thanks for starting these astrological threads. I know very little about astrology (and have never really taken an interest in it), but since Barrett incorporated it in this deck, I'm keen to learn more.

As to a general discussion, well can I just say that it's so refreshing to work with a deck that has some real thought, depth and consistency to it!
I can't believe I let this deck languish in a cupboard for 4 years while I drooled over some of the riff-raff in my collection. But then again I never stuck with any of those beauties for long. I guess it's taught me what I really want in a deck.

And, now the big question...should I trim it??!

I know it's OOP now and if I mess it up I might not get another one (or rather afford it). But I think this deck would look terrific without the white borders...

rwcarter

teomat said:
And, now the big question...should I trim it??!

I know it's OOP now and if I mess it up I might not get another one (or rather afford it). But I think this deck would look terrific without the white borders...
Only you can answer the trimming question, but I do know that one can still order copies of the deck directly from Barrett. He's somewhere in the UK. His website is http://www.mythographica.fsnet.co.uk. You can get a signed deck for 24 pounds. (I have no idea how expensive that is.)

Rodney

teomat

Thanks Rodney. I did actually get my deck through Barrett's website. I think I'll hold off trimming the borders (for now).

Do you (or anyone else reading this thread) recommend any good books to help with this deck?

I know Barrett has authored another book on Egyptian Gods and Goddesses, but I was wondering if there's anything else you found useful?

rwcarter

teomat,

You might find this thread helpful, esp post 3 for info on resources for symbols. For the deities I used the following sources:
  • The Egyptian Gods and Goddesses by Barrett
  • Dictionary of Ancient Deities by Turner and Coulter
  • Encyclopedia of Gods by Jordan
  • Facts on File Encyclopedia of World Mythology and Legend, 2nd ed. (both volumes) by Mercatante and Dow (although I got this quite late in my study of the cards)
  • Egyptian Myth and Mankind - The Way to Eternity by Barnes and Noble Books (if you look for this, try variations on the name cause it's written three different ways on and in the book!)
  • Larousse World Mythology

Hope this helps,
Rodney