TIM HOLTZ Distressed Inks...other users?

greatdane

After seeing how much better even great-looking decks look edged with Tim Holtz inks, I am on a roll.

I use the ink pads and it's incredibly fast and easy to do a deck, depending on how many coats you use. Ladybird has a great youtube video about edging decks and she inspired me :).

I loved the Vintage Photo (it too about four coats to get the color I wanted, it came out a kind of dark reddish brown) for my Samhain Lenormand and I just ordered Pumice Stone hoping it must be grayish (for the STS Lenormand).

But I was wondering if anyone has used the FRAYED BURLAP? It looks kind of grayish brown or brownish gray and I want to edge the Under the Roses Lenormand.

Any others use these inks, in particular, Frayed Burlap? I am also looking at Wild Honey for a Vintage German Lenormand with red and dark yellow backs.

Amazon and/or vendors on Amazon, have fairly low prices if anyone else is looking.

tenth

I love the Distress line! I do some scrapbooking and stamping, so I'd picked up a few colors over the years and indulged in several when a shop went out of business near me earlier this year. The Wild Honey goes on with a very rich ochre on just one or two passes, almost-orange tone and dries lighter on bright white cardstock. I used a different brand, Memento in the color Rhubarb Stalk to edge the Gothic Tarot of the Vampires that i just trimmed down, and I have to say it did a great job. The Barn Door and Fireplace Brick (?) in the Tim Holtz line were just too straight red or orange, and I wanted a cooler red since the Vampires has a lot of blue-toned illustrations.

I think any dye ink stamp pad should do a solid job and open up a wider range of colors for you. I'd watch out for pigment inks though, they're heavier and don't dry as quickly or easily. Depending on how slick the card stock is, you might even have to use a heat tool to really get it to set.

greatdane

Thanks, Tenth!

One can't always tell by the names of the ink pads or the colors on top what they will look like on the edges. I just ordered Gathering Twigs and Pumice. The first for Under the Roses, the latter for the STS Lenormand. It's easy to do, but found it takes me at least a few swipes to not just get the color I want, but to have it go on evenly with no little gaps of white sticking out even if I go slowly and press down as much as I dare.

I'm thinking of edging the third edition of the Bohemian Gothic, but not sure what color yet :). I want something that will blend in well.

If I were a better trimmer, I would do what Ladybird did, trim the Bieri and the Lenormand Oracle and THEN edge them. Her youtube videos are so enabling :).

Gulliver

Would like to see images to compare the cards before and after usage of the ink. I'm curious. :)

greatdane

Just ordered Victorian Velvet for the Lilac Twilight

Another ATer told me it matched very well. It helps to find out if someone else has used a certain color for a deck!

greatdane

Ink Colors that go with certain decks

I used BLACK SOOT on my first edition Bohemian Gothic and it turned out very well. A Marksalot marker would have been darker, but it's permanent and not much room for error, where the Black Soot by Tim Holtz is water based so if you get a bit on the front of the card, you can quickly wipe it off.

FADED JEANS ink looks great for the Morgan Greer backs :).

I just did both my Lilac Twilights in Victorian Velvet today and it matches extremely well.

ctrymaus

After seeing how much better even great-looking decks look edged with Tim Holtz inks, I am on a roll.

I use the ink pads and it's incredibly fast and easy to do a deck, depending on how many coats you use. Ladybird has a great youtube video about edging decks and she inspired me :).

I loved the Vintage Photo (it too about four coats to get the color I wanted, it came out a kind of dark reddish brown) for my Samhain Lenormand and I just ordered Pumice Stone hoping it must be grayish (for the STS Lenormand).

But I was wondering if anyone has used the FRAYED BURLAP? It looks kind of grayish brown or brownish gray and I want to edge the Under the Roses Lenormand.

Any others use these inks, in particular, Frayed Burlap? I am also looking at Wild Honey for a Vintage German Lenormand with red and dark yellow backs.

Amazon and/or vendors on Amazon, have fairly low prices if anyone else is looking.

Could you please give a link to Ladybird's video about this? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

CountryMouse

greatdane

And my second ed Anna. K looks great in...

Gathered Twigs :). It almost looks like a wooden deck. I think it's so fitting for this earthy deck.