Do I need more than one deck?

Hooked on TdM

Some more food for thought...

For decades the Rider\Waite deck was the only Tarot available. Tarot readers did just fine having only one.

I have a decent collection however I collect mostly the same style and prefer to read one deck (I had to wait a long time for my Dodal.) Someday I might branch out but I'm content reading only one but collecting others. ;)

As the others said use and buy what your comfortable with.

Another sad reason for the "don't buy your own deck" is spite and jealousy. This was done to me. The reason I was told not to buy my own was actually a family member that didn't want competition. Insecurity at its finest there. Always consider the source of information!

Happy deck reading!

foolMoon

Definitely more fun with more decks. More, the merrier :)

rmcfarron

a few years ago, I had one deck - and I needed just one more.
then last year, I had 7 decks - and I needed just one more.
now, I have 15 decks - and I need just one more
well, maybe 3 more....

Holland

Some more food for thought...

For decades the Rider\Waite deck was the only Tarot available. Tarot readers did just fine having only one.

I have a decent collection however I collect mostly the same style and prefer to read one deck (I had to wait a long time for my Dodal.) Someday I might branch out but I'm content reading only one but collecting others. ;)

As the others said use and buy what your comfortable with.

Another sad reason for the "don't buy your own deck" is spite and jealousy. This was done to me. The reason I was told not to buy my own was actually a family member that didn't want competition. Insecurity at its finest there. Always consider the source of information!

Happy deck reading!
WOW! That is an excellent point. Honestly I LOVE my deck. I am very attached and don't want to start a new relationship with another deck(although I am interested in getting another) but something tells me I have yet more to learn from this deck.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sirian-starseed/ This is my deck. :D
Thank you my friend for your input.
Blessings from me and the creator.

LorettaYeo

Hi Holland -

I'm one of those "collectors," but I didn't really plan to be. I'm 60 years old and I got my first two decks when I was a teenager. The Swiss 1JJ attracted me because I was studying French in high school. I didn't like the stark colors, and the curved swords on the pips were a little weird looking. So then I found the US Games Rider-Waite deck, which is the one deck everyone "has" to have at least one copy of. (I've got four: standard, giant, mini and B&W).
Being a Virgo I kept trying to get more and more details to really "know" the cards, and by the time I had about a dozen books and maybe 6 decks, I realized that it was up to me to synthesize everything and give the authors credit, but not power over my readings. From there on, I was fashion shopping.
Luckily my Navy career gave me the financial ability to buy decks and try them out. Sometimes I'd be enthralled with the images on the box, but when I got them home many of the remaining cards were just so-so or even downright UGLY! So there are many decks in my collection that only held my attention for a few weeks. I'll never do readings with any of them.
Then there are the cards that are truly beautiful artwork but too hard to use for readings. Shadowscapes is like that. Stephanie Pui-Mun Law's cards are all SO similar in color and design (and my eyesight is so bad), that I really have to struggle to figure out what the card IS, much less what it's supposed to mean. When doing a reading I want to know instantly what the card is, then I can point out details as I give the interpretation. David's Tarot is the same way; nice minimalistic ink images, but not instantly recognizable.
I've bought decks that others swear by - they love the artwork, or they collect all things by one artist. A good online friend in Washington State was waxing poetic about the H.R. Giger Tarot, so I bought it. GAG! Holy cow, that guy is truly weird, but Katie likes him so another deck in the closet with the rest.
I have some reproductions of historical decks, Marseilles, etc. I'm so comfortable with the core A.E. Waite meanings that I never even tried to get back to the older interpretations. But I can say I "have" them.
Speaking of Waite, I love Pamela Coleman Smith's artwork, and I have at least a dozen clones of that deck. I've used the Universal Waite for many years because of the softer, more modern printed colors. I bought Indigo Kelleigh's 8-Bit Tarot since they were obviously a labor of love and the faces are so cute. I've just bought the new Witches Tarot that has gorgeous computer-generated renditions of the PCS scenes. I'm thinking that may displace the Universal Waite for a while.
I have fun searching online for digital decks. I use Gunnar Kossatz's World of Tarot software and it's easy to add decks and texts to it. I think I've got well over 200 digital tarot sets, but I only keep about 30 active in WOT at a time. I rotate them in and out as I get new ones.
Sometimes if the artist isn't going to publish, or even if they do but the cards are too big for my short stubby fingers, I'll print a set on business cards so I can shuffle them and use them in readings. Andrew Plotkin is famous in the world of interactive fiction. He did two digital decks. Zarf's Tarot is entirely digital; he designed it in the Inkscape vector graphics program. His Uncarrot Tarot is a bunch of 3" by 5" index cards that he drew when he was in high school (about two decades after me). I took his images and added frames to them to indicate Major, Minor, Meta and Misc. arcana, then added titles and made a deck. Zarf says they're nifty. ;c}
The other fun thing about collecting is that most of the deck creators are very friendly and I've had nice email friendships with several of them.
I've branched out to other oracle decks: Mah Jongg, I Ching, Hanafuda. For some reason, I just don't synch with Madame Lenormand. I have a leather zippered bible cover that can hold 4-6 decks and their LWBs or other info so I can have a RWS clone, a new tarot deck, and a couple of other oracles with me for study and readings.
So yeah, collecting comes easy, but it's not necessary to love tarot.

Hooked on TdM

WOW! That is an excellent point. Honestly I LOVE my deck. I am very attached and don't want to start a new relationship with another deck(although I am interested in getting another) but something tells me I have yet more to learn from this deck.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sirian-starseed/ This is my deck. :D
Thank you my friend for your input.
Blessings from me and the creator.

Your very welcome Holland! Your deck is simply stunning! I hope your mind is at ease now :)

Darkmage

Short answer: no.

Don't be too surprised if you get bitten by the collecting bug, though. Most people here have been and it shows. ;) I started out with just the University Press RWS. Then a friend of mine gave me Tarot of the Cat People for my 18th birthday. Then I found the Dragon deck by the guys who also did the Wyvern CCG and the Lord of the Rings Tarot. And then I found used ones (I've gotten some OOP and rare ones for a song) as well as being gifted more. One thing led to another and now I've got around 50 or 60 decks--I haven't counted in a while. It's a small collection compared to most of the people here, but I'm happy with it. Like I told a friend, I buy what I like, and if I tire of it, I can always sell or rehome the deck.

Look around, find what you like, and if you don't want to buy more than one deck, don't. It's your money and your hobby. But don't be surprised if those decks start breeding.

RaaD

I personally have 3 Radiant Reader swapping them every day. It makes the decks persevere through time a lot longer. I have them from a year, i use them every day and they are almost like new ( the glance surface is still up making the slide which is awesome, if you use one deck the glance surface will be gone in like 2 months or even less)

Wardi7

One thing I've noticed over the years is the waxing and waning of my collection. I used to have a dozen or so now; now I only have three and one sits on a shelf completely neglected (it's a Waite, I kinda feel I just have to hold on to it). And now, after many moons of not reading or thinking about a new deck, I have two I want to get. One I know I'm going to hold off on since is is pricy (~$500, but I do want it) and nothing I'm still undecided on.

I think when it is time to get another you will know it and the perfect opportunity (or price) will present itself.

Many blessings on this royal road.