Completionism

Aulruna

Well... yes and no.

Obviously, with a 1000+ collection, I have some completionist traits in me. Actually, this has developed over time ... when I started, I wanted to read with every deck in my possession, and with so many decks out there, I chose those I found readable or liked for some other reason.

Then I started getting those with some significance, like the various Marseilles types.

Then decks I found so-so, and now I will even buy those I find hideous.

But I draw the line ... if any deck is more than $50, I still need to like it.
And I have only three Beth Seilonen decks, and no inclination to buy any more of her creations, so here I go for a sample versus the completionist approach. And I'm also not big on iterations, unlike the deck is really a favourite - I have several editions of the Aquarian, for example - but with most decks, a new beack is just a new back.

EarthFaery

OCD!
ohh me too with the Mythic!
I have the black and blue back decks, and most definitely will be getting the new, and as I hear, not so improved deck as soon as I get around to it. I thought I heard there is a reversible back with this deck? I haven't confirmed it yet, but if there is I'll get my hands on that too...going to look for it today.
I have every copy big and small of the Hanson Roberts, and a countless number of RWS big and small, that I haven't touched in ages...the deck creeps me out nowadays but I will still buy the commemorative as soon as I can justify it. I certainly don't need or want but I will incomplete if I don't.
My biggest problem is buying decks just for something new and fresh to look at, my very very very best readings are on decks I have never seen before. Big problem cuz I will buy just about anything for to see something in a card I've never seen before.

rwcarter

nisaba said:
<helpless laughter> Rodney, I shudder to tell you, you are an incomplete completionist.

Complete completionism would be acquiring, or being dedicated to acquire only two simple things:

1) Every in-print deck in the world, and

2) Every out of print deck in the market.

Both simpler and more complete than your own personal so-called completionism.
Touche! I don't have the bank account to be a complete Completionist. Nor do I have the desire to own every deck that's either in print or has ever been in print. That's not to say that I like every deck that's in my collection though. I have the Tapestry Tarot only because it was part of a lot of items that I bought off eBay. I'm sure I have some other clunkers in the collection too, but they're not coming to mind right at this moment.

Sanctum_Priest said:
It's an OCD -- we need help!
Nah. It's not a disease. It's a hobby. :D When I start buying decks instead of paying bills, then I'll go seek help. ;)

Alta said:
The first time that I ever saw this was with another member, who still drops by but rarely posts. He collected every version of the different backs (and there are 5 or so) of the Aquarian.
There are five different backs to the Aquarian? Thanks for feeding the addict... er hobby, Alta! :laugh: (I think I already have at least 3 of the different backs. I'll have to check tonight. I should've added the Aquarian to the list of decks cause I think I had 4 different iterations of the deck at one point.)

Aulruna said:
And I have only three Beth Seilonen decks, and no inclination to buy any more of her creations
Fortunately, I haven't gotten on the self-published/limited editions/special editions bandwagon....

SMV said:
I have the black and blue back decks, and most definitely will be getting the new, and as I hear, not so improved deck as soon as I get around to it. I thought I heard there is a reversible back with this deck? I haven't confirmed it yet, but if there is I'll get my hands on that too...going to look for it today.
Yes there is a reversible-backed edition. I believe the backs are purple and the suit emblems are placed in the border on the back instead of in the center. I believe it's the edition with the Empress on the box, but don't quote me on that.

I forgot to mention in my original post another form my completionism takes. If I buy a deck in a tattered box or even with no box or with no LWB, I end up buying a complete deck too.

And I can't pass up a bargain, but that's a whole 'nother thread!

Rodney

cardlady22

Deep down in my heart, I am a Completionist . . . But I am a Limited Income, Patient, Standing In Faith person who is content to let things flow in the proper time. }) :angel:

ETA: Honestly though, I did get every possible gemstone oracle- card or actual specimen- that was available. I did share many of them on afterward.

I hold the impulses to a manageable hum by collecting pre-owned decks from lovely AT members! *as attested to by their Places of Honor in my Profile
OH! A new category . . .

Alta

rwcarter said:
There are five different backs to the Aquarian? Thanks for feeding the addict... er hobby, Alta! :laugh: (I think I already have at least 3 of the different backs. I'll have to check tonight. I should've added the Aquarian to the list of decks cause I think I had 4 different iterations of the deck at one point.)
- Aquarian Tarot (Morgan Press, plain blue cardbacks :OOP)
- Aquarian Tarot (Morgan Press, blue/white abstract design cardbacks :OOP in this edition)
- Aquarian Tarot (Morgan Press; black cardbacks with black/white ourorobos design thereon: OOP)
- Aquarian Tarot (Morgan Press; red cardbacks with black (mostly)/red ourorobos design thereon :OOP)
- Aquarian Tarot (Morgan Press; red cardbacks with white (mostly)/red ourorobos design thereon: OOP)

Grizabella

Yep, I got that way with round decks. I can't just go out and buy decks new, so it's harder for me to fulfill my creationist cravings so that's how I started making card cases and things in trade.

rwcarter

Grizabella said:
Yep, I got that way with round decks. I can't just go out and buy decks new, so it's harder for me to fulfill my creationist cravings so that's how I started making card cases and things in trade.
How could I forget round decks! I grab all of those I can find too. :D

Rodney

kisou

Oh dear :X It's a good thing I have too many other expensive hobbies that giving this a chance wouldn't work out to me!

I'd love to do this with decks but I could see it getting out of hand with me~ I have to hold myself back from doing this with CDs and those really add up x_x~

Le Fanu

Hey Rodney, I've got bad news for you; there's a special Cartomanzia 184 which comes in a tin! How cool - and necessary - is that?

I totally identify with the Completionist tendency, but so far I have managed to keep it pretty much under control. However, I wouldn't dare own a mini deck and not have it in a standard size too. Not to do so would be simply rude.

Then there were those Fabbri/Orbis decks which were published in partnership with Lo Scarabeo and so you get a Bosch tarot with white - not black - borders. Then decks like the Mantegna but without the glitzy shine, so you have to later buy the gilted version. Plus the backs are different on some of them. Then the Fabbri Sola Busca is slightly thinner than the Lo Scarabeo one... Oh it's simply exhausting keeping up with this.

I cannot afford to be completist with Thoth but I do buy all the Thoth editions I can get my hands on. All I'm missing now are Lady Frieda's watercolours mwahhhahahah })

Then there are all the baba decks with corresponding bags...

It just never ends. I am a full time tarot completist

Now I'm on a Robert Place roll too... :(

I wasn't even into vampires until... Oh god.... :(

nisaba

rwcarter said:
Fortunately, I haven't gotten on the self-published/limited editions/special editions bandwagon....
This is where Aeclectic has been really bad for me. Since being here I've started a sub-collection (I know about my other sub-collections - this one was unconscious until just now!) of these, encompassing things like the Whispering Tarot (signed and numbered), the KissaTarot which is shaping up as a sensational public deck, the Blue Moon, and the stand-out of all of them the signed and numbered Lebanese Tarot, which had an issue of only 100 (and is a stand-out piece of work, stunning, gorgeous, great cardstock ... unbeatable).

Damn.

Yet another sub-collection in the collection that will have to be serviced when I'm in a wage again. Can't have it languishing incomplete!