Do I need more than one deck?

Holland

Hello there,
I have met people who are collectors of Tarot. Please help me understand(I am new to this site and over 2 months old in the tarot world), I do not see the point of collecting so many, taking the away that the art is absolutely thrilling. According to my research, you need to give every deck you own your attention to continue the connection or some will go stale. It sounds too over whelming to own so many and give them the same equal share.
So after I read that, I took my time doing more research and finding the right deck for me, I just wanted one! Then I found it...the Sirian Starseed deck. The art allured me, I had to have this deck! I also read that must either be handed to you as a gift or you had to steal it(well then later, I read that if you steal a deck, they become negative)...my husband bought me the deck(love him so).
The deck is not your traditional type. Swords have been turned into Orbs, Fire=wands, Crystals= pentacles and chalice=cups ect. I had to do A LOT of research to know what the translation was, now I have my cards down.

NOW COMES THE Question :). So I just read that is better to own 2 decks rather than 1. I also read that you don't want to become TOO attached to your deck, so you know how to work with other cards.
In your opinion.... do I need to own another deck?
Sorry that my form is all over the place. Thank you and blessings.
Signed- new, confused and happy :D

aliceinwonderland

Hey welcome to AT then!

What do you feel is right for you, is on the money. Some like to collect, some will keep just the one.

Personally I've had my Marseilles for 20 years and still use it daily. I feel it 'belongs' to me. I also have R-Waite since most people work with it. In my case purely for the common ground and because is more visual. But since Marseilles was my first deck and is not image based I guess I learned differently.

It all works. At the end of the day, your deck will find the way to speak to you and get the message through. Keep it simple. If you fancy having 2 decks I think is a good idea. If you enjoy the different imaginary and you have the means, can also collect. At the end of the day is about your learning and energy. The tarot is the tool to receive the message.

There, some food for thought.

Best of luck with your learning xxx

Mwah :heart: Alicia :heart:

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, Holland!

There are no rights or wrongs in tarot and there are no tarot police around to enforce the (non-existent) rules. If you only want to have 1 deck, then that's right for you. As someone with more than one deck (no comments from the peanut gallery), having too many decks can dilute your focus. On the other hand, a different deck can give you different perspectives on one or more cards that you might otherwise not get if you stay focused on just one deck.

As someone with many decks who has been a student of tarot for 20+ years, I now read the images more so than use "traditional" interpretations. So I will definitely get different readings from using the same cards from two different decks.

Enjoy your Sirian Starseed. When and if you're ready to get a second deck, do so. But don't do it because someone told you or wrote in a book (or on a website) that you should.

Rodney

Citrin

I agree with the above comments - it's all up to you. :)

My personal view is that the "power" is inside of me, not in the cards. I am the one giving meaning to the images, well images that are universal and powerful no matter if they're printed on cards or posters or whatever, but still the reading always comes from inside of me and the connection my soul has with God and the world. For me the advantage of having one deck would be that I'd get very comfortable with the images and can read them more easily, maybe. But the advantage of having many decks is that I can chose deck according to what mood I'm in and what kind of question I am dealing with. Sometimes I want something sweet, sometimes dark, etc... :) I've chosen to use many different decks and it's worked for me. I guess I'm more of an "intuitive" reader also, I don't often go by "standard meanings", and I believe this also makes it easier for me to switch to a new deck. If there are scenes depicted I often feel like I don't need to read a book about the deck to understand it, my intuition takes care of that.

I think that the people who are true collectors (with like 500 decks and such) are just collectors, so to speak... They don't actually USE all of the decks, it's more like art. Like collecting anything; stamps, CD:s etc, those people don't "use" their whole collection ya know. :p

moon_light

I'm new, too, but have made a rule for myself. I have to wait at least 78 days between getting decks. I've decided I can't get a new one until I have given each card in the deck a day of study. I feel like I become connected to the deck by working with each card individually.

I also feel like I can learn from different decks, so I'm not opposed to multiple. It's not like I want a massive amount, but some have caught my eye. I think that if I've devoted 78 days to careful examination of each card, I can start a new one. But then I have to give that one the same attention before getting another. Does that make sense? If I'm slacking off and not doing my daily connections, it'll take longer before I can get another. I'll finish up my first deck at the end of the month. My birthday is a week before, so I'm thinking about dropping my boyfriend some hints. :)

Zephyros

Multiple decks are like multiple books, a variety of viewpoints and interpretations. You look at the same ideas differently. That said, you don't need many decks if you don't want them. In fact some people, like me, have already found their "one" and see no need for more.

After ten years of using one deck, there may be a day when I decide to give it up. I can't really foresee that day.

Grizabella

I don't know if you need more than one deck. That's totally your own call. :) I have more than one but at the moment I'm just using one. I wouldn't give up the rest of mine but truly, I guess all anyone needs is just one. Or at least, one at a time. :p

Decks aren't where the rubber meets the road. Familiarity with your cards and knowledge of how they speak to you are key. Sticking to one deck long enough to know it very well is probably the best idea when you're still learning.

Strenght

Hi Holland, and welcome! :)
I agree with others, it is really up to you. There are no rules, no rights or wrongs. Decks are like clothes in my opinion, you can own a huge amount of them but you can wear only one outfit at a time. So for you at the moment I think the most practical, and best alternative is to stick with one deck and learn it well.

I own two decks (RW), and use them both, depending where I am and what I am doing. Sometimes I feel the other deck is closer to me, sometimes other. But like someone said I too feel the answers come from inside me, and I do not do give any special "attention" to my decks.

gregory

*coughs gently.*

But - um - to each his own. My path is not necessarily the best one... :D

TheStarsAndTheMoon

You need to own as many decks as you feel you should. Its all up to you. I can't add anymore that rwcarter didn't already say. I also agree with citrin. People with hundreds of decks certainly aren't using them all. Some are just for the art. I collect Luis Royo decks and his art books because I love his art. I've used one of his decks a couple of times, but its really for my collection of his stuff. I have 13 tarot decks and a little under 10 oracle decks. I do indeed use all of my decks, but I tend to favor some over others.

Having a selection of decks that really speak to you gives you the opportunity to gain different perspectives and insights. Often different decks have different messages or personalities. As you work with them you'll get to know them and you can choose which one you want to use depending on your mood and question. You might also find that, like others, a certain type of deck or theme speaks to you. I have quite a few fairy and animal centered decks. I think having at least two decks is a good plan. Like everyone else said there is no right and wrong. Things you come across in your research are just the opinions of others. You have to go with what feels right to you. Happy tarot adventures!