Do I need more than one deck?

Holland

Thank you all for your input! :D I LOVE hearing different opinions and why having more than one deck. I am beginning to understand. But, I will stick with my beloved Sirian Starseed deck....although I admit I am still considering another deck. Something with the traditional lay out...possibly the gilded deck or the legacy. We shall see...

ctrymaus

Welcome to Aeclectic, Holland!

There are no rights or wrongs in tarot and there are no tarot police around to enforce the (non-existent) rules. If you only want to have 1 deck, then that's right for you. As someone with more than one deck (no comments from the peanut gallery), having too many decks can dilute your focus. On the other hand, a different deck can give you different perspectives on one or more cards that you might otherwise not get if you stay focused on just one deck.

As someone with many decks who has been a student of tarot for 20+ years, I now read the images more so than use "traditional" interpretations. So I will definitely get different readings from using the same cards from two different decks.

Enjoy your Sirian Starseed. When and if you're ready to get a second deck, do so. But don't do it because someone told you or wrote in a book (or on a website) that you should.

Rodney

Dear Rodney,

It gives me great comfort (not being sarcastic here!) to see the list of all the decks you own! I am always being drawn to new (to me) decks, and sometimes I feel I have "too many". But then I say, "Nah!". :-D

Maybe I won't use a deck for a good long time, then it'll be just the one for a specific reading. That happened with my Steampunk Tarot (Barbara Moore). I think if you spend time talking to the deck about the spread and the question and all, having respect for the deck, you'll get a good reading. I love this deck, I just hadn't gotten around to reading with it much.

I'm an insatiable collector, whatever my "hobby" is (I have 24 ukuleles). So that's why I end up with so many decks (I'm sure I have way over 100, counting oracle card decks). Also, I just have a hard time saying no to lovely artwork. Sometimes I buy decks just to look at. :)

So anyway, to the OP, just like Rodney said, whatever feels right to you. :)

CountryMouse

NadaJ

I agree with the above comments - it's all up to you. :)

My personal view is that the "power" is inside of me, not in the cards. I am the one giving meaning to the images, well images that are universal and powerful no matter if they're printed on cards or posters or whatever, but still the reading always comes from inside of me and the connection my soul has with God and the world.

There are no rights or wrongs in tarot and there are no tarot police around to enforce the (non-existent) rules.

When and if you're ready to get a second deck, do so. But don't do it because someone told you or wrote in a book (or on a website) that you should.

I couldn't agree more with both of these sentiments. If I waited for someone to gift me a deck, I'd be waiting a long time. Once I realized the power is within me like Citrin shared above, I was free and open to really seeing the message conveyed through the cards. And there is so much different information out there, especially on the internet. Don't get me wrong, I respect my cards and cherish them all, all 5 of them :) But if it doesn't work for me, then it wont work . KWIM?

The last point I wanted to make was I too agreed with the OP about the need for only one deck...initially. But unlike the OP, I was so afraid of my deck! I was afraid of the images, of the energy they gave off--oy vey, it was not good. I was afraid to shuffle them and even look at the pictures for too long. This is my Universal Waite deck. It wasn't until I bought (gasp) another deck that didn't scare me so bad, that I was able to finally get it, and then go back to my Universal Waite. And now I have different decks to suit my moods, although I only have 5 and at this time feel like this is enough for me.

nisaba

Hello there,
I have met people who are collectors of Tarot. Please help me understand(I am new to this site and over 2 months old in the tarot world), I do not see the point of collecting so many, taking the away that the art is absolutely thrilling.
It's exactly about the art, as well as the fact that different decks have different feels and thus inspire us to read slightly differently.

Back to art - how else could I own and store 160x78 artworks in my home, and get to enjoy them all?

According to my research, you need to give every deck you own your attention to continue the connection or some will go stale.
I don't know where you did your "research", but it absolutely does not fit with my experience. I can pick up a deck I haven't used for two years, and it will be perfectly fine, eager and reading well.

It sounds too over whelming to own so many and give them the same equal share.
You don't have to.

I read publicly. I always have about five different decks on the table, and ask my clients to choose one quickly, which is the one I then read with. When one client has had a reading, do I hide that deck? No, the next client can choose from the full array. I have had days where I have had several clients and they have all chosen the same deck. The others still work absolutely fine.

I also read that must either be handed to you as a gift or you had to steal it(well then later, I read that if you steal a deck, they become negative)...my husband bought me the deck(love him so).

The belief that a deck had to be given to you was, I believe, started by one the the major publishers, in the hope that friends would give you a deck that didn't quite suit you, so the\n another friend would buy you another deck. It was a marketing ploy. I first saw the stealing-thing in action about fifteen years ago when I was reading out of a new-age shop, and people stole decks because they felt they shouldn't buy them and they didn't have a friend with them to buy them when they fell in love with a displayed deck.

How is stealing something going to do anything other than create bad energy?

Buy your own decks.

Only you will really know the right deck to buy - it can't really be left to friends. And stealing is always a bad idea.

The deck is not your traditional type. Swords have been turned into Orbs, Fire=wands, Crystals= pentacles and chalice=cups ect. I had to do A LOT of research to know what the translation was, now I have my cards down.
<grin> Chalice is a word for an ornamental cup, Wands have always been associated with Fire, crystals are rocks which come from Earth which Pentacles represent ... it really isn't too hard an act of translation if you think about it for a moment.

NOW COMES THE Question :). So I just read that is better to own 2 decks rather than 1.
It depends. I started learning on one, and I think that's a good plan. But if you over-use a deck, the symbolism of it can lose meaning for you. And different decks are good at different things.

I also read that you don't want to become TOO attached to your deck, so you know how to work with other cards.
I'm deeply attached to my whole collection. It hasn't harmed me.

I'm also a bit worried about the person or source who has been putting many of your ideas in place as you've done your "research". Some of your ideas sit uncomfortably with a lifetime of Tarot practice.

In your opinion.... do I need to own another deck?
Do you feel as if you do? Then yes. Do you feel as if you don't? Then, no. Only you can answer that question.

Signed- new, confused and happy :D

<grin> clear up the confused, but keep the happy. You're at the beginning of a learning-curve that will last the rest of your life and bring you much joy.

Holland

Nisaba- Oh wow! Thank you for breaking it down for me! Much appreciated(and to everyone who commented). I needed to read that!
As for the translation for my card deck...yeah I figured out the elements and tradition settings are the same....of course when I got them I did not know that :p.
I am considering another deck, thinking of the Gilded or Legacy deck. But not anytime soon. BTW how CLEVER!! I love how you let your clients chose the deck, that makes the reading much more personal.
Oh my research comes from, books, Youtube but mostly pinterest and some word of mouth, although I would not call that a source really. I probably should have mentioned that I do not take in all that my research has told me, just merely being a messenger and wanted to hear what people had to say about it. for example the Stealing a deck, I believe that one was so stores would not lose their products(Barnes and Noble had to keep their tarot in a case at one time...so I read :p) and buying of Tarot would tarnish the collection, did not buy that one(although it was a bonus my husband picked out the ones I wanted as a gift)... I LOVE my deck. Oh for the too attached card reference, I got that from a blog, I would have to browse through my history, but I agree with you. But as a noob, I wanted to hear from experts in this industry.
This compliments with what you said as well, a lot of it has to do with personal experience and intuitive, so I read and have heard from this here site, still grasping that idea. I know that sounds silly.
Thanks to you and a lot of you my confusion and been cleared up.

For everyone: I hope you do not think I am putting you down for your collection, I am just curious and wanted to see the appeal. After reading your comments and each presenting a different perspective, I can understand.

nisaba

Nisaba- Oh wow! Thank you for breaking it down for me! Much appreciated(and to everyone who commented).

<grin> Thank you. But bear in mind that everything I said is just my own opinion, and may or may not work for you.

Spookery

Hi Holland~! I'm new too, and I guess I can't tell you more than the veterans here, but if you want to just keep one to start with that may be a good idea! I have a Wild Unknown deck that I've bonded with really hard, but that's just sheer luck and also my personality. Doesn't mean I couldn't bond just as much with another deck or anything, but I do love what I have and having just one to learn and begin with has been really helpful for me.

The Happy Squirrel

Hey Holland :)
I am no expert, as I am a beginner :p But I can say that I agree with everyone who said that this is such a personal thing. A lot about tarot is so personal. I managed to amass a considerable amount of decks in a relatively short period of time. Mainly because like one poster here, I have a tendency to collect things (vintage jewelry, old books, knitting needles, DVDs, rings, .....). But also because my style of inquiry as a beginner. I can only understand things by comparing, contextualizing, and triangulating. So I work and learn with 3 decks at a time. Sometimes using one deck and reading another deck's LWB just to contextualize things. With this style of reading, it would be unproductive to force myself to use only one deck. BUT, others found more productivity in learning intimately with one deck before moving on to another. Others do not need to move on to another deck at all! :)

If you do decide to get a second deck, have fun, and may the experience of searching, and acquiring one, be a blessing in itself :) And if you do, show us :p

skipbosco

I'm one of those Thoth people. My first deck was the Ludy Lescot deck, which I still love but hardly ever use...I got a Cosmic tarot deck that I gave away because although I really like the art i couldn't roll with old movies stars showing up in readings...I figured that I needed a Rider kinda deck, but I don't like the art, so I landed on the Fenestra, which I like but really hardly ever use. I landed on the thoth because, well, I guess the only way to put it is it's so well engineered, and it's beautiful. I love the thoth because to connect with it I've had to read a ton about the qabalah and zodiac, numerology, etc., it's just an amazing deck. It's a serious deck.

So. Working with one deck is a great way for me to keep focused, to learn how to connect with it even when I maybe would like to jump on another one, no matter what my mood may be...it just feels like a deeper relationship.

ETA that said, it's such a personal journey, everyone has to figure it out on their own, reinvent the wheel.

nisaba

*coughs gently.*

But - um - to each his own. My path is not necessarily the best one... :D

<grinning> Or not necessarily the cheapest, anyway.