Professional tarot readers

Zephyros

I think reading Tarot is trying to understand life itself, and part of that is understanding that people have very different walks of life. They may still be ethical, even if their ethics contrast with the reader's. There was a question somewhere around here not long ago from a reader that was asked about a relationship with a married man. If I remember correctly, the reader ended the reading then and there, seeing the question as unethical.

Now, that's an example of a very shady area, in which judgement may be inevitable yet still detrimental. After all, the ending of a marriage may not be a bad thing in the long run, although it may feel disastrous. The man and his mistress may have been truly in love, with the man's marriage falling apart. The wife's happiness may be important, but not so much for the reading, that has a different subject, namely, the mistress (who's happiness is also important). If a marriage is in shambles, doesn't breaking up give both partners a well-deserved chance at happiness? If one partner gives up their own happiness for the other, but turns into a bitter and resentful person, how does that make for a better home? Is it up to a Tarot reader to tell a paying client that they're too sinful to be happy?

So basically, when you're dealing with people, the only thing one can expect them to act like is people, each with different and at times conflicting, yet still valid, desires. Heck, I'm in the middle of a war because of that.

re-pete-a

As was stated in an earlier post...

You create your outer world from your inner world ...always...

Now you have living proof of that statement...and your exposed position in this outer world.

Here, where your dealing with people that have been and are being reasonable to your request, your personal attitudes and actions are what and how you would act the moment you face a (to you) conflicting situation...

But,do you possess the intestinal fortitude to weather this so called storm and use it to grow in Grace ?

Without attacking the messengers !
Yes, any outer world situation is a direct mirror of your inner world...

Everybody here that reads the cards has and must face the possibility that they will be and are sometimes wrong...
They are also the times that show us our inner worlds...
Those are the times to look inside the self and ask ...

What is being insulted.

What is being uncovered here.

How can I manage this and grow without resistance...

Grace would consider eliminating the defensive necessity to be always right.

Grace will help to grow beyond the personal which is necessary to become more open ...to self and to the personal need to defend...Which is answered when the first question of "What is being insulted" is honestly answered...

This is the very reason for the very first card being called the FOOL...It IS a fools journey through the MAJORS of life that make a good person better....

Pride will not allow it's defenses to be lowered...The animal self will reign.Dog eats dog...nothing changes.

These are the choices on offer ...Letting GO or resisting change...

The ones that LET GO, will grow...Through suffering

The RESISTING CHANGE ones will suffer and suffer for much longer, repeating the same scenario in different guises, until the LETTING GO finally happens...

This is the major reason for the suffering in this world...It's a releasing or detaching from the material world and the nurturing of and growing of the Spirit...

At this final stage there are very few deaths to face...Except the final death of the Ego... which can be really hard or really easy ...dependent on the practice throughout life of LETTING GO ...

So now is your choice time...These messengers have provided you the opportunity to face a portion of you that has remained hidden from you...which you have stuck onto the outside world and is being reflected back onto you ...

LET GO, gracefully

RESIST, with all your might.

Personally, though these times are tough, in hindsight I thank the UPPER MANAGEMENT TEAM for organising that part of me being exposed. Another layer disposed of ...

Suffering makes soulful people. Easily joyful...
Resistance creates the present woeful world. Opportunities to grow...

Until the greater picture is presented...through the eyes of compassion for anothers personally created outer world ...

We're all looking for our slice of happiness...
I hope you can find yours...

ravenest

Well, if something is 'preached' to another ... I guess it must apply to the preacher as well?

Anyway, on a differnt note:

It's also true that there seem to be loads of people who claim to have integrity and a set of personal ethics and who claim, as well, to be highly spiritual who, at the same time, pretty much toss all that out the window as soon as money is involved.

Mmm hmmm . I think that when money, 'professional' reputation and like things are involved, one is more likely to hear what keeps bringing the fees and sales in (from books, readings, workshops etc.) . The thing is , it does SEEM that way. yet there are some and maybe heaps of people out there , unseen and unbroadcast (and unpaid) that quietly go about it for better reasons. (In some circles, the more noise you make about yourself, the more $$$ you make.)
Looks for her cane.
*Eyeballs ravenest. You didn't take it to add to the bonfire, did you? I'm going to need that so I can hobble down to the pharmacy to get my Geritol.

Moi? ... I have enough trouble with fire wood

<goes to put some in the fire - stops - turns it around- looks at it>

Mmmm ... thats a nice piece of wood, I might keep that one.

<picks up another bit> ... Mmmmm

No no, I have been quietly amusing myself here in the background musing on my own, imagining a tarot reader who I would never get a reading off, because of my obvious short comings and low standards , but that wouldn't matter because they were so good at it they have never actually read the cards or owned any in the first place

But ... no I wont burn your walking stick (anyone would think I was nasty! )

... however ... I may attach your walking stick to something else I might set fire to;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj1aA5WH7o4

RunningWild

Mmm hmmm . I think that when money, 'professional' reputation and like things are involved, one is more likely to hear what keeps bringing the fees and sales in (from books, readings, workshops etc.) . The thing is , it does SEEM that way. yet there are some and maybe heaps of people out there , unseen and unbroadcast (and unpaid) that quietly go about it for better reasons. (In some circles, the more noise you make about yourself, the more $$$ you make.)

Oh, don't get me wrong. I have no problem with people charging money for readings. Nor do I have a problem with self-promoters, within reason. Sometimes you can't sit around and hope that people spread a reputation for a good reader around and have to advertise if you're reading professionally. I get that. And frankly, it's just sound marketing if that's a person's livelihood. I wasn't referring to those kinds of people. I could probably give examples and name names, but I'll let you use your imagination to come up with the kinds of people who take advantage of the vulnerable or who otherwise exhibit some sort of Jim Jones cult-like belief system where everyone has to be one way or they won't bother. I just hope no one drinks the the KoolAid.

esspeet

Holy ship! Thanks for writing this. It may have been for misser_piggit, but this was good to hear... for me! Nyah! Hahahaha! .. seriously, thank you.
As was stated in an earlier post...

You create your outer world from your inner world ...always...

Now you have living proof of that statement...and your exposed position in this outer world.

Here, where your dealing with people that have been and are being reasonable to your request, your personal attitudes and actions are what and how you would act the moment you face a (to you) conflicting situation...

But,do you possess the intestinal fortitude to weather this so called storm and use it to grow in Grace ?

Without attacking the messengers !
Yes, any outer world situation is a direct mirror of your inner world...

Everybody here that reads the cards has and must face the possibility that they will be and are sometimes wrong...
They are also the times that show us our inner worlds...
Those are the times to look inside the self and ask ...

What is being insulted.

What is being uncovered here.

How can I manage this and grow without resistance...

Grace would consider eliminating the defensive necessity to be always right.

Grace will help to grow beyond the personal which is necessary to become more open ...to self and to the personal need to defend...Which is answered when the first question of "What is being insulted" is honestly answered...

This is the very reason for the very first card being called the FOOL...It IS a fools journey through the MAJORS of life that make a good person better....

Pride will not allow it's defenses to be lowered...The animal self will reign.Dog eats dog...nothing changes.

The RESISTING CHANGE ones will suffer and suffer for much longer, repeating the same scenario in different guises, until the LETTING GO finally happens...

This is the major reason for the suffering in this world...It's a releasing or detaching from the material world and the nurturing of and growing of the Spirit...

At this final stage there are very few deaths to face...Except the final death of the Ego... which can be really hard or really easy ...dependent on the practice throughout life of LETTING GO ...

So now is your choice time...These messengers have provided you the opportunity to face a portion of you that has remained hidden from you...which you have stuck onto the outside world and is being reflected back onto you ...

LET GO, gracefully

RESIST, with all your might.

Personally, though these times are tough, in hindsight I thank the UPPER MANAGEMENT TEAM for organising that part of me being exposed. Another layer disposed of ...

Suffering makes soulful people. Easily joyful...
Resistance creates the present woeful world. Opportunities to grow...

Until the greater picture is presented...through the eyes of compassion for anothers personally created outer world ...

We're all looking for our slice of happiness...
I hope you can find yours...

jolie_amethyst

Holy ship! Thanks for writing this. It may have been for misser_piggit, but this was good to hear... for me! Nyah! Hahahaha! .. seriously, thank you.

Indeed, that post will be helpful to many of us, but I especially needed this, very much today!:

Thanks, re-pete-a!

As for the topic at hand, setting all ethical/moral/boundary issues aside: Don't go into business for yourself without a good head for actually running a business (not just actually reading cards, in this case, or taking pictures, or what have you), AND very solid legal and financial advice. If you lack any of those three, forget moving forward with ANY self employment ideas, no matter how promising they seem. I say this as one who has proven to herself three times over that I lack the King of Pents skills & rigid self discipline to be good at running my own business. If I try again--a very big IF!--I'll be hiring someone before I even start taking in any money, to set up and manage that side of things for me.

ghost271

Started doing online readings for money first then moved to a bookstore. Good experience and had a number of repeat clients who would only let me read for them. I built my own face to face business by word of mouth and wont be reading out of the shop anymore. Too many days where nobody wants a reading and i could have spent that time with my family. Now i book on the days i want and know if i have clients simply by looking at my calendar :)

Hooked on TdM

Ghost, if I may ask, where do your readings? Your sitters home or yours? Alternative places? I'm trying to figure out where my readings would best be at and right now home is not an option but I wish it was.

ghost271

I live in a townhouse complex and read in the clubhouse. I'll book it for 3 or 4 hours a few times a month. That way its neutral ground in a sense and unless they wait around and follow me back to my place, they dont know which unit i live in. I only let long term clients in my home whom i have come to know over the years. I had one client from the store emailing me at 4 am Christmas morning and then a few more times during the day. His gf had broken up with him and he was in a panic. Then of course he HAD to meet ASAP for another reading but he couldnt pay full price and wanted me to give him a break on my fee. I directed him elsewhere.

The obsessive clients are the worse and the main reason i stopped reading on here and left some FB pages. People will get a reading from you and then over the next week you see that they've asked the same question to 3 other readers.
FB is bad in the sense that somebody will buy a deck of cards and ask a question like, 'Will my bf and i get back together?' They'll then 'attempt' a bare bones interprutation and ask others what they see. And they'll do it several times within a 7-10 day period.