Believing the cards

nisaba

Because you're a pessimist?

I once had a client a few years ago, who wanted a past-present-future reading. Told the person whose venue I was reading in, that I was brilliant on the past, and brilliant on the present but they thought I was wrong on the future. She told me this after they left, and laughed with me about it - if I'm so good on what they knew and I didn't, of course I'm going to be good on what they don't know and I don't!

milliefive

Nisaba, you made me smile with that!

ravenest

Does anyone else sometimes have trouble believing the cards? I ask because life is going through a Tower time at the moment, but my daily Tarot card and my readings all keep telling me that it's going to be ok. More than ok - there is a synchronicity to my struggles at the moment and they are going to turn into something far, far better than I had before.

With things I can verify the cards have been spot on for months - so why do I have trouble believing in the ones I cannot verify?

Millie

I dont think you lack faith or are a pessimist . I think you dont have to believe the cards actually.

Thinking that you should believe them in the first place will get you into such difficulty.

Perhaps be a bit more 'fluid' with them? Cenozoic's advice is really good IMO.

Zephyros

I agree, belief is overrated. What I get in a reading is akin to a weather report, it shows trends and possibilities. If your weatherman says it might rain, it's a good idea to leave the house with an umbrella, whether you believe him or not. After all, he only "foretold" that it might rain, he didn't say you would get wet. You can't control the weather (or what a Tarot reading's outcome is) but it is always useful to be prepared.

trzes

Thinking that you should believe them in the first place will get you into such difficulty.

I agree, belief is overrated.

Unfortunately you guys seem to have killed the thread by rubbing it in so nicely :laugh:

One more point though: The discussion shows a common scheme. You get a message from someone/something. Your gut feeling is against the message. Somebody else tells you that only your fear prevents you from accepting the message.

I do think it's true that fear often biases our judgement. SunChariot's explanation is a good example in my book. But mostly this fear-argument is used only to discredit someone's gut feeling or intuiton in order to make a message immune against any criticism. It's a trick of faith healers, make-believers or gurus to weaken your judgement.

Even if the fear-argument should be right indeed, then in most cases you won't be ready to live by the message anyway (yet). Low risk is involved with (incorrectly) not believing it.

Therefore: Stay with your guts. Don't buy fear arguments.

ravenest

Unfortunately you guys seem to have killed the thread by rubbing it in so nicely :laugh:

Killed it ?

Nah ... it was just napping <prod> see, its still breathing.
One more point though: The discussion shows a common scheme. You get a message from someone/something. Your gut feeling is against the message. Somebody else tells you that only your fear prevents you from accepting the message.

This discussion? Does it ?

Anyway, running with that observation by itself - in a way, they are telling you to go against your own messages ... for some reason those somebodies hold 'intuition' above the balancing rational knowing aspects of the mind. Obviously, its a balance between the two - to come to a sensible conclusion. Why not accept it could be something other than fear and examine it ... to put all doubts down to fear seems to commit the same 'sin' on the other side of the scales.

I believe it stems from allowing the mind to be a bit wild, and not training it, it rebels and tries to take over, and that causes problems too, so some try to reject its function and operate on an 'intuitive' level, but often their intuition hasnt been trained either. Some seem fairly ignorant of the processes of the mind and intuition.

I do think it's true that fear often biases our judgement. SunChariot's explanation is a good example in my book. But mostly this fear-argument is used only to discredit someone's gut feeling or intuiton in order to make a message immune against any criticism. It's a trick of faith healers, make-believers or gurus to weaken your judgement.

And in some cases , to attempt to strengthen theirs .... but, with some, if you suggest the same back at them ... lookout !

What is good for the goose MAY NOT be good for the gander ... apparently.

Its a jungle out there :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjLHrhLVwzs

Even if the fear-argument should be right indeed, then in most cases you won't be ready to live by the message anyway (yet). Low risk is involved with (incorrectly) not believing it.

Therefore: Stay with your guts. Don't buy fear arguments.

:thumbsup:

IMO ... its to do with 'expectations' .. and again, goes back to 'belief'. You dont have to believe. You dont have to have an expectation .... when something good happens, its just an extra surprise.

It might seem strange to some but I think one can do a tarot reading, discern some of the energies and dynamics that are in play, adjust accordingly and still be detached and not expecting a specific outcome.

There is all this stuff about 'knowing the future' ........ mhe .

The future will unfold ... and then you will know ... or you can waste a lot of time and stress on expectations, 'knowing' , belief, lack of faith, uncertainty, and trying to figure out why or why not it came true or not.

This might apply to other areas in life too ;)