Certification

Sandalwood

Hi,

I have been looking into getting certification for reading tarot, but I can't easily find where to get that? Both links provided by ATA are not working?
Does anyone know of organisations providing this?

Also, what are your opinions on needing/getting such a certificate?
PS: Did the Professional Tarot Forum stop existing?

Thank you!

Grizabella

I haven't been able to find the Professional Tarot sub-forum, either. Not even with the top link gregory gave. Maybe it needed some tinkering before being put back into the forum. I'm not sure.

You don't need certification. Build your reputation as a reader by actually doing readings for people and then get some testimonials from satisfied customers. That's all the "certification" you need. :)

Sandalwood

Professional threads were moved on July 22nd, to make them available to all members.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=220350

Certification - are you sure you want it ? There are some vitriolic threads here about the value (NOT) of such certificates...

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=54254

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=3364873

Oh wow, thanks for those!
I wasn't sure if it would be of use, but those threads seem to answer my questions right there.

Sandalwood

I haven't been able to find the Professional Tarot sub-forum, either. Not even with the top link gregory gave. Maybe it needed some tinkering before being put back into the forum. I'm not sure.

You don't need certification. Build your reputation as a reader by actually doing readings for people and then get some testimonials from satisfied customers. That's all the "certification" you need. :)

Thanks Grizabella!
I will do that :) I actually have those testimonials & am doing readings, but since I'm moving venue I thought a certificate may be appreciated. But it's all clear now :)

Disa

It seems like the individual threads from the Professional subform were all dispersed within the Talking Tarot subform. It doesn't seem like there is a subforum named"Professional Tarot" anymore. I may be completely wrong, but that's how it looks to me.

As far as certification, goes-I do agree that taking classes in Tarot was fun and I got to meet some nice people, but they didn't give any sort of certification for doing it. I used to think it might be important to have a certification, but what specifically are they certifying? I think it's a personal choice, do what you feel best doing. I understand it feels nice to have a certificate showing you have actually studied what you are doing,but for Tarot reading, it really doesn't seem that clients are interested in that as much as if you can give them a reading.

I honestly learned a lot more from Aeclectic over the years than in any of those crash courses in Tarot. The courses were all about knowing the cards, etc- but not so much about READING the cards.

Besides.... Seven Stars makes those gorgeous certificates which we can display proudly ;)

Holly doll

Word of mouth & return clients is all the certification you need. Tarot is such a rich learning ground - how can there be a certificate for something that continually evolves on differing levels for each person...? :)

Sandalwood

It seems like the individual threads from the Professional subform were all dispersed within the Talking Tarot subform. It doesn't seem like there is a subforum named"Professional Tarot" anymore. I may be completely wrong, but that's how it looks to me.

As far as certification, goes-I do agree that taking classes in Tarot was fun and I got to meet some nice people, but they didn't give any sort of certification for doing it. I used to think it might be important to have a certification, but what specifically are they certifying? I think it's a personal choice, do what you feel best doing. I understand it feels nice to have a certificate showing you have actually studied what you are doing,but for Tarot reading, it really doesn't seem that clients are interested in that as much as if you can give them a reading.

I honestly learned a lot more from Aeclectic over the years than in any of those crash courses in Tarot. The courses were all about knowing the cards, etc- but not so much about READING the cards.

Besides.... Seven Stars makes those gorgeous certificates which we can display proudly ;)

Thanks you so much. all of these comments & the one in the old threads make perfect sense. True. What are they exactly certifying?

Showing a certificate was exactly what I wanted to show indeed I'm (and have been) serious about this and also the ethics. Now I think I better use that time to perhaps get a more psychological Masterclass, which is on my wishlist.

Thank you!

Word of mouth & return clients is all the certification you need. Tarot is such a rich learning ground - how can there be a certificate for something that continually evolves on differing levels for each person...? :)

Thank you! Yes, that's such a good point.

Disa

Showing a certificate was exactly what I wanted to show indeed I'm (and have been) serious about this and also the ethics. Now I think I better use that time to perhaps get a more psychological Masterclass, which is on my wishlist.

I'm in USA and I see you are in Europe, so I don't know if you have an organization there, but I joined the American Tarot Association, and they do have a certificate showing you are a member and also a code of Ethics for it's members to print out and display if desired. If you don't have such an organization, or you don't really want to join such an organization, you could always design and print your own code of ethics...Just a thought :)

Sandalwood

I'm in USA and I see you are in Europe, so I don't know if you have an organization there, but I joined the American Tarot Association, and they do have a certificate showing you are a member and also a code of Ethics for it's members to print out and display if desired. If you don't have such an organization, or you don't really want to join such an organization, you could always design and print your own code of ethics...Just a thought :)

Hi,

Thanks. Yes we do, but I didn't quite like the feel of it, so I thought to join a more international orientated one. But I'm now doubting the whole concept after reading the replies. I do have an own code of ethics.
Thank you for the information! :)