The right quote for the right card- your thoughts?

nerrine

Hello,

So I thought it might be interesting to hear others thoughts on this- I'm sure others here have had the experience of a quote from literature jumping out at them because it seems to sum up the message of a card better than any description they've ever heard or read.

I am beginning this thread because I have been doing some study, journaling and meditation on the Moon card- and as I have commented in another thread about this card, it always make me think of the quote from Carl Jung:

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will run your life and you will call it fate."

But as part of my study of the card I came across an author commenting that the Moon card always evokes a quote from Rilke (one of my favorites of his, but never related it to the Moon before- now I wonder why I never made the association):

"Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

Just thinking about these quotes makes me feel I understand the card so much more deeply now.

So does anyone else have a quote from literature that clarified a card for them? I'd love to hear!

nisaba

Not quite what you were looking for, but I adore my shakespearean deck - it has an apposite quote on each and every card.

nerrine

Nisaba-

Would you mind sharing which quotes that deck uses for the Empress and Emperor?

Chiara

I have collected quotes that remind me of cards for a long time.

On Death:

"Even the best of us has dark places within our souls…fears, prejudices, appetites…the capacity for sin." Greg Iles

“True evil has a face you know and a voice you can trust.” Greg Iles

nisaba

Nisaba-

Would you mind sharing which quotes that deck uses for the Empress and Emperor?

I'm about to rush out of the house, remind me in ten hours or so. It's a mammoth job just to *find* individual decks in my system. :)

nerrine

Chiara, Moon Light, Nisaba- thank you so much!
Especially kind of you, moon light, to look that up for me.

I think this is something I'm interested in because I'm such an avid reader and I love poetry- so there's something about quotes from literature or philosophy that help open a card up for me. The Sun card makes me think of Camus and his statement about discovering in the dead of winter that there is within him an invincible summer.

annabel398

"When people show you who they really are, BELIEVE THEM!" --Maya Angelou

I've always thought this was a good quote for 7 Swords.

Chiara

This one reminded me of the Fool. The story of the Journey of the Fool symbolizes birth into the physical world and God has placed everything you will ever need in the bag to make that journey of life a success. Unfortunately, too few ever look inside the bag. As we go through life, we are able to take what we need from the bag and use it. Each time we take something from the bag, the bag becomes lighter but it is never empty, it contents are limitless like the unlimited potential of the Fool. For those people who never look inside the bag or for those that think they must save its contents for a rainy day, the bag becomes heavier and heavier as you go through the road in life. God has given you a gift and the more you use it, the more you have; for both are infinite.

So the quote is from Eckhart Tolle.

"A beggar had been sitting by the side of a road for over thirty years. One day a stranger walked by. “Spare some change?” mumbled the beggar, mechanically holding out his old baseball cap. “I have nothing to give you,” said the stranger. Then he asked: “What’s that you are sitting on?” “Nothing,” replied the beggar. “Just an old box. I have been sitting on it for as long as I can remember.” “Ever look inside?” asked the stranger. “No,” said the beggar. “What’s the point? There’s nothing in there.” “Have a look inside,” insisted the stranger. The beggar managed to pry open the lid. With astonishment, disbelief, and elation, he saw that the box was filled with gold.

I am that stranger who has nothing to give you and who is telling you to look inside. Not inside any box, as in the parable, but somewhere even closer; inside yourself. "

nerrine

anabel- I LOVE that quote from Angelou. I always think there should be a second line: don't make them show you again; they will. And great for that card. Now I will always have the association as well.

chiara- this is a fantastic way to see the fool- and I cant help but think that if you view the Trumps as an ordered sequence, as many do, on the very next card there is a man presenting us with the tools we need- cup, coin, sword, rod- and drawing down the energy to use them. Maybe they were in that bag?

Thanks for the feedback- this is just what I was looking for.

If anyone else has any other quote associations (or if people who have already responded have more), please share.