How many times do you get confronted with that tarot is just random advice/bullcrap.

Hooked on TdM

@Everyone thanks for replies, but like I said I am not really offended I just got annoyed.

It went like this I was on facebook and a guy I used to be good friends with asked if I could cast him some runes as I did that at the time, so I said I don't do that anymore and prefer tarot cards. He then asked if I can do that, so I said alright and did it for him. He was quite happy with it so he put it on his facebook. His friends then asked where he did that or some did and he said I was it, so some asked me and then in the feed others started going like. 'Oh why would you believe that bullshit,' calling me all kind of things.

So after that I quite and I was like alright, no tarot for others anymore, it kind of goes out of control, which is sad I would like to use it to help/support people not for initiating fights or heated discussions.

Facebook is well known for 'wars.'. People will say and do awful things they might not do in normal life.. I would use the handy feature of block and just rid your facebook of those people.. Then carry on with your head held high. :D

gregory

Facebook is well known for 'wars.'. People will say and do awful things they might not do in normal life.. I would use the handy feature of block and just rid your facebook of those people.. Then carry on with your head held high. :D
Yet another reason to avoid facebook. But if a friend of mine had told the world I had read for them in a public place like that - I would be very annoyed indeed. THAT is the issue I would have had here ! It's up to me who I choose to talk about this stuff with. (It is also why many here have two FB identities - one that talks tarot and one that never heard of it, so that granny won't be troubled about them :D)

nisaba

However I would get people boasting that it's just random and one card can be applied to everyone, so it's just random advice and they call it stupid etc. Ussually I do not mind, but it's getting quite annoying lately. I have thus chosen to not really talk about tarot with anyone. Unless they seem interested in such a thing.
How are you getting your clients - are they approaching you and asking for readings, or are you asking them to sit for you for the practice? In the latter case, they might be reluctant to be there. I read publicly - people come to me, I don't go to them. I just never have that problem. Very occasionally I will have someone who just doesn't like my physical energy and they will close off, but then it's more about trying to find if I'm a bad reader, not that Tarot doesn't work.

But I feel like being a jew in Nazi Germany,
I'll bet you don't. I'll *absolutely* bet you don't.

I say this as the child of someone who lived in Germany during the war as a five-to-ten-year-old.

'Oh' they go, he uses tarot cards. And when you ask something they go like 'oh why don't you ask your cards.'
And then they kill your family in front of you and tattoo you and throw you into a cattle train.

Sorry. I'll get off my soapbox now. With people who say "why don't you ask your cards" there are a number of answers, depending on their tone and body-language. The thing I don't do is I don't let it go unanswered, because then they feel that they've won and you've lost. I try, instead, to make it a teaching/learning experience.

I might say "I don't ask my cards because it is important to me that they are only asked about important things, and I use them for gaining information that I cannot gain any other way."

I might say "Because human interaction is important, and the question gave you and I a chance to touch base and communicate as humans are psychologically meant to do."

I might say "Because cards give the emotional truths of a situation, not the nitty-gritty of names-and-dates."

I might say any number of things, depending on the situation. But I don't let it go unanswered, and I don't get hostile. Even if it is an obviously hostile question, I treat it as if it were a question asked out of open interest. It's amazing how many people will turn their hostility around into something more positive if you do that.

nisaba

I've been on FB for years, and have never once had a problem. And I'm really active, reading and writing there every day.

danieljuk

I've come to realise that all of us in the world probably have some sort of hobby or interest that other people will frown upon in some way! You don't read and learn tarot for those people and you don't do a hobby or interest for them. Ignore them! If you enjoy doing it and have faith and believe in it then it doesn't make a difference if they think it's random rubbish or the other extreme that it's really evil and offensive to their religion (unless you have to live with them or are very young with disapproving parents).

There is also some very close minded skeptics. They are impossible to convince whatever you do! It's good to be a bit skeptical about tarot and divination but that is different from imposing their view on them. This happens outside tarot as well with people who have / practice alternative therapies and people who have religious and spiritual beliefs outside the mainstream, it's very disrespectful when people put it down to "all a load of crap". That person believes in them.

So just keep doing what you are doing and ignore them :)

gregory

I've been on FB for years, and have never once had a problem. And I'm really active, reading and writing there every day.
As one who is not even THERE and who has been slagged off there big time - all I can say is - lucky you.

And it is UNQUESTIONABLY true that people say and do things there that they would not do to your face. After "the incident" I was told of a couple of people - AT members ! - who I get on with just fine, who had "liked" what had happened- and I PMd two of them to ask why they had done that. Their response ? "It's what you do there - sorry; now that I read it I wish I hadn't, but a mate posted it so I "liked" it. You DO that on FB..."

Zephyros

I say this as the child of someone who lived in Germany during the war as a five-to-ten-year-old.

And then they kill your family in front of you and tattoo you and throw you into a cattle train.

Thank you for this. :)
Comparing a few Facebook comments to dealing with Nazis is a bit melodramatic. What's next, AT being compared to ISIS?

Anyway, I used to get that kind of flack for Tarot, but I don't anymore. I prefer to engage, rather than defend. I myself don't believe Tarot is an entirely accurate oracle of the gods, and even if it entirely random, the meaning and connections I make of the cards are what lead me to make assumptions about my life and (possibly) my future.

Rosewater

With people who say "why don't you ask your cards" there are a number of answers, depending on their tone and body-language. The thing I don't do is I don't let it go unanswered, because then they feel that they've won and you've lost. I try, instead, to make it a teaching/learning experience.

I might say "I don't ask my cards because it is important to me that they are only asked about important things, and I use them for gaining information that I cannot gain any other way."

I might say "Because human interaction is important, and the question gave you and I a chance to touch base and communicate as humans are psychologically meant to do."

I might say "Because cards give the emotional truths of a situation, not the nitty-gritty of names-and-dates."

I might say any number of things, depending on the situation. But I don't let it go unanswered, and I don't get hostile. Even if it is an obviously hostile question, I treat it as if it were a question asked out of open interest. It's amazing how many people will turn their hostility around into something more positive if you do that.

Great advice, thank you! :) I've never yet encountered a hostile sceptic but if I do, you've given me some idea of how to deal with it.

Hooked on TdM

I have three children between ages of 18-22 not including their partners. I have seen some wicked stuff. �� I don't have issues because everyone knows better. ;) Seems to affect the younger generations more but not exclusively.

Excellent, excellent ideas of what to say. I just might 'borrow' some of those when the situation dictates. Thank you!

Also to everyone else, great ideas. I'm 'borrowing' those too. Hehe

Meemai

How are you getting your clients - are they approaching you and asking for readings, or are you asking them to sit for you for the practice? In the latter case, they might be reluctant to be there. I read publicly - people come to me, I don't go to them. I just never have that problem. Very occasionally I will have someone who just doesn't like my physical energy and they will close off, but then it's more about trying to find if I'm a bad reader, not that Tarot doesn't work.

Sorry. I'll get off my soapbox now. With people who say "why don't you ask your cards" there are a number of answers, depending on their tone and body-language. The thing I don't do is I don't let it go unanswered, because then they feel that they've won and you've lost. I try, instead, to make it a teaching/learning experience.

It might be a bit of a overestimation, the Jew in nazi Germany part, but uhm I meant. I read a lot of Remarque and I feel like one of his characters.

Sucks to hear you had to grow up there, I have a uncle that died fighting nazi's he got to be 22. But I think I was a bit mindless when I threw it out. But then again I should have said 'I feel like a guy in a Remarque novel, but then no one would know what a Remarque is, or they only no 'nichts neues am westen.' Aah well my apologies. Bad place to pull a Godwin sorry.

Also they asked me to more or less, or well he asked runes and I said I quit doing that and do tarot now to which he replied 'I'll have one of those then.'

Thank you for this. :)
Comparing a few Facebook comments to dealing with Nazis is a bit melodramatic. What's next, AT being compared to ISIS?

Anyway, I used to get that kind of flack for Tarot, but I don't anymore. I prefer to engage, rather than defend. I myself don't believe Tarot is an entirely accurate oracle of the gods, and even if it entirely random, the meaning and connections I make of the cards are what lead me to make assumptions about my life and (possibly) my future.

I did apologise, but sometimes people say things rather light heartedly or they are tired or had alcohol. I used my words wrong there and do apologise for it. Also ISIS is now IS or so I've heard.