Shuffling

Logiatrix

I shuffle the deck, and then let the querent cut it to their left with their left hand. Then I lay the cards out with the stack that the querent chooses from the cut.
:)

Dark_angel

It depends on the circumstances. Sometimes I just give the deck to the querent to shuffle, sometimes I shuffle and then get them to cut, sometimes I do the lot (after showing the querent the deck so they can feel some connection to it). I let the querent choose the deck, unless they want me to choose or I know they'd have a strong negative reaction to a deck. Sometimes I'll let virtual strangers hold my decks, but bizarrely when I read for my father (the only time I've ever done so) I did all the shuffling. I think some of it's to do with the receptiveness of the person; if they're a sceptic, then perhaps they would imbue the cards with a negative energy which would tarnish their reading? If you do the contact you can act as an intermediary, diluting the scepticism and giving part of yourself to the reading.

I prefer to read without the person in front of me; I feel a stronger connection to them if I'm reaching out to feel them rather than see them, and obviously this means they can't shuffle them.

I would NEVER trust my deck to anyone who I thought for one second could damage them in any way. They're my babies, and I guess I'm a bit over-protective. xxx

tmgrl2

Depends...I am asking my Q's to shuffle...and then cut..But I usually draw after the deck is back together.

Since I started reading with my LE Gilded Tarot, I don't want anyone trying to bend them so I spread them out all over the table and ask the Q to put them in a single pile and then cut to left three times...sometimes, I then make six piles and take one and deal it to the others and repeat... This deck stands about 4-5 inches high, because the cards are thick.

Again, I read the cues from my sitter. If they seem to want me to shuffle, I do. If they willingly take the deck, then that's what I do. Nothing mystical. The reading finds its own way from the minute we sit down until we get up to leave.

terri

Shadow Wolf

I usually tell the querent to let me know when to stop shuffling.
Then I have them cut the cards into 3 piles. Then I do the reading from there.

I've had great success with this method !!!

krysia322

I've noticed something else with my readings... (Depending on the querent, of course, as my earlier post mentioned: Some of my decks simply will not respond to some people)

It also depends on the querent with regard to their confidence in a reading. I've found that if I do the shuffling for someone who doesn't quite have the heart or the focus or the belief in tarot and having a reading done (even if that person asked for one), the cards can be more vague in their response... unless I have the person at least hold the cards and shuffle them (even a little bit with me shuffling more), so that the cards can better pick up the person's vibe.

On the other end of the scale, I've worked with querents who are very comfortable with the whole concept, with tarot, with having their cards read, and basically don't care who shuffles. Sometimes these querents aren't even local; but are having a reading done over the phone.

Am I making sense? I just feel very... rambly today, LOL.

tmgrl2

Yes, krysia, you are making sense. That's why I carry several reading decks as well. Some decks seem more "right" for some people. Sometimes, I want them to choose the deck. I do like them to "handle" the cards as well at least for a brief shuffle or cut. If they don't want to, then I go ahead. But that makes me more wary of their "buying in" to the process.

terri

firecatpickles

I haven't noticed a difference between the querent and I shuffling. I like to have a conversation about "all the questions" they are asking (after they have written them down on the back of my business card). I let them cut the deck "any way they feel like." The responses to the "cut the deck" request are always different. They either say "okay" and just cut it; sometimes they say, "That's okay, I trust you;" and other times they want me to cut the deck.

I like the feeling while shuffling I get when I and the cards together are "interviewing" the querent. Once somebody giggled and siad, "ph I can do that," after seeing my fingers a-whiz madly shuffling the cards (when they had no talent for it).

As the reading progresses and I do more and more spreads, I personally will ask a question; for example, if s/he is asking about a particular person or if we need clarification I will shuffle, cut and deal for myself and get readable information for them.

KK
:THANG

Acadia

biddy9 said:
You know, sometimes I prefer to shuffle the cards for my client, even if it's face-to-face. I guess I just don't really trust them to program the cards right! Does anyone else ever just take the cards and shuffle them for their client, even if they're sitting right opposite?

Biddy

I never let people I'm reading for shuffle. I shuffle the deck myself until the deck feels like it's ready, then I let them cut the deck to the left with their left hand into three piles, and I pick up the piles from right to left with my left hand. That's where their contact with the card ends; they do not touch them after that.

I think I'm really "old school" when it comes to readings, since the way I do readings vary so much from how others do them. :(

krysia322

Do Most People Cut?

I'm just curious about something:

When I shuffle, I rarely, if ever, "cut" the deck. I'm more likely to hold a palm over each card (depending on the reading), or "cut" the deck into a few piles and then hold a palm over and/or under the deck (if my palm starts feeling hot -literally- I know that's the card(s) to pick). (Usually if I'm doing a 1 - 3 card spread.)

But as a general rule, with most other spreads, I shuffle, then deal. No cutting.

Do you feel cutting helps the process? That it does nothing for or against the process? Why do you cut if you do? Is it because it feels natural to do so, or because that's how you've always seen it done, or...?

I'm wondering because cutting for me doesn't really feel "natural" (hence why I don't often do it). The air under my palm -when I do cut- between my palm and my deck feels cool and airy when I cut. Weird.

Okay. Now's a good time to stop talking, since I think I stopped making sence about 2 paragraphs ago. ;) LOL...

firecatpickles

I think you should do whatever feels right to you. Sometimes I cut and sometime I don't. I constantly cut the cards while shuffling for myself, anyway.

The primary reason I have them cut is to help them feel more involved in the process --I would get the same results out of the cards regardless.

KK
:THANG