I-Ching for Beginners

bradford

SpiritOfTheDogz said:
BTW I'm currently using The Fortune Teller's I Ching and think the interpretations work well and isn't over written.
Does anyone else have any thoughts on this book?
Paul

Not very good. And the Chinese text that accompanies it has more typos than any version I've ever seen. I doubt they read it in Chinese.

Scibility

Iching Moving lines and timing

There's something I don't understand about the changing lines--

Does any number of changing lines generate a new hexagram or is a new hexagram only generated with two or more changing lines? In other words, a hexagram with ONE changing lines does not have a 'future' hexagram?

I've gotten different answers... Plus, one resource says that when you have say..three changing lines your answer is the original hexagram and the future hexagram and not to consult any of the changing lines interpretations for the original--that many changing lines indicates that the situation is too complicated.

But I had a hexagram with 3 changing lines and every single one seemed to apply to the situation!

Hi everyone,
resurrecting this very old thread. I hope no one minds. I was wondering if anyone had any other input on the moving lines. I only use the yarrow stalk method, and my understanding is the moving lines also represents timing, so the first moving line in the gua may represent the recent past or present, and the subsequent moving lines represent the progression. There are times when the gua contradict each other, and the timing is why I think this happens. Also there are times when all the lines are moving, and this seems to be when the situation is unsustainable. Does anyone have any further insight or a different way of looking at the progressions? Thanks a bunch in advance.

seedcake

What a sleepy thread! For a week I have my own copy of the I-Cing, Wilhelm's translation but into Polish. Owner of the esoteric shop is using I-Cing and highly recommended it, especially when I'm so fascinated by the Far Eastern cultures and religions. I need a little time before I make my very first reading ;)

RaySusilo

Hello~! :D Let's resurrect old threads~! ;)

I am using three small dices.

I had read Wilhelm's translation by Baynes. Well, it was kind of hard to tackle though, but I managed to understand it, even if a bit.

Right now I am looking for a more books so that I can compare and learn from the similarities. So far I got Paul O' Brien's The Visionary I Ching. What else do you recommend?

seedcake

I feel so conservative 'cause I work only with the version the closest to the original. It's not easy but sometimes when I do a reading, I just feel deep inside that I really get a message. I'm interested in Chinese culture, history, language etc. so I'm pretty open and happy when I find any kind of reference from their philosophy for example. It's not so easy tool but has so many layers that's impossible to not fell in love with it.

RaySusilo

I feel so conservative 'cause I work only with the version the closest to the original. It's not easy but sometimes when I do a reading, I just feel deep inside that I really get a message. I'm interested in Chinese culture, history, language etc. so I'm pretty open and happy when I find any kind of reference from their philosophy for example. It's not so easy tool but has so many layers that's impossible to not fell in love with it.

There is nothing closer than exactly the original language itself. :D

But of course, you had to learn the Chinese language first... Or at least their Chinese Han Characters' meanings.

Scibility

Online Iching resources

Hello~! :D Let's resurrect old threads~! ;)

I am using three small dices.

I had read Wilhelm's translation by Baynes. Well, it was kind of hard to tackle though, but I managed to understand it, even if a bit.

Right now I am looking for a more books so that I can compare and learn from the similarities. So far I got Paul O' Brien's The Visionary I Ching. What else do you recommend?

Hi,
Maybe this link will help Click Here
It is an extensive list of iching books and the author gives his/her review of the +/- of each one.

I basically stick with the traditional interpretations, but I also use a few free online sites and have found them to be fantastic resources. They are:

Lise's translations
Wilhelm & Legge translations
Tuck Chang translations - this one is my absolute favourite for heavy studying of the iching.

I also really like Paul O'Brien's translations, and you can download a really good translation in two volumes by someone named Bradford Hatcher

Best of luck to you. I hope this helps.

seedcake

There is nothing closer than exactly the original language itself. :D

But of course, you had to learn the Chinese language first... Or at least their Chinese Han Characters' meanings.

I know and I love Chinese but I have other language as my priority. I hope one day I'll be back to Chinese.